Notices

Baby ok because I am sober

Old 02-25-2020, 08:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Baby ok because I am sober

Back in the day when my drinking was really bad I would drink till I passed out and I would be hard to wake. I would usually do this behavior after everyone else was asleep as to not be bothered and to hide my consumption.

I was putting clothes into the dryer when I heard a faint wail from the baby monitor. Sure enough my little one had gotten her tiny little leg caught in the rails of the crib and couldn’t get it out.

Thankfully, she was too tired to thrash and so she just sat up while gently whimpering with her eyes closed. I carefully removed her foot and soothed her back to sleep.

If I had been passed out drunk, I would have not heard her cries and she surely would have hurt herself.

Time to retire this crib and only use the one that allows for the mesh protective wrap. This outdated crib she uses in our bedroom doesn’t quite hold them up too well and she is able to pull them down.

Sobriety truly is a gift and I’m glad I was sober tonight.
Old 02-25-2020, 09:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Powerful and true! I also have a little one and luckily nothing has ever happened.
Old 02-25-2020, 09:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It's awesome you aren't drinking. It is amazing how fast the little ones can get into trouble.
Old 02-25-2020, 09:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

that's a fantastic post newhope - I'm so glad your daughter is ok and that you were able to 'present' for it

D
Old 02-25-2020, 11:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

I regret being drunk for much of my son's early years.

He was with me when I almost crashed my car due to a gastro attack. It was definitely booze related.

Physically hurting anyone while under the influence would be a nightmare. The mental abuse I levied on folks for decades is shameful.

I hold no resentments towards folks for having reservations about me due to my previous self.

I take full responsibility.

Thanks.
Old 02-26-2020, 01:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You must feel such relief that your little bubba was ok newhope01. You will never have to worry about something like that happening ever again now that you are sober. Congratulations.

Those cots with the slats are definitely unsafe. Good on you for getting a net one. Much happier environment.
Old 02-26-2020, 02:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Powerful post. Yes this is the absolute beauty of sobriety for us mummy's (and daddy's of course). Being sober and present for our children. I actually feel so emotional reading this and so happy for both of you.

I got sober just before my daughters 6th birthday. There were times I woke up (came to) in the morning and had to check she was ok because if something had happened in the night would I have known about it? There was one morning I had to ask her if she had dinner or a bath the might before because I just couldn't remember 😓

I am grateful everyday that my daughter has a sober mummy and is safe and cared 100% for when she is with me . The best present we can give to them and ourselves . Thank you for sharing 🙏❤
Old 02-26-2020, 04:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I missed my daughters' infancy's and childhoods drunk and passed out. They are 18 and nearly 16 now, and that is something that will bother me for the rest of my life. And, do doubt, bother them as having a drunk dad left them scarred forever. I'm so happy for you all who figure this awful thing out when they are still young. My daugthers were with me in the car more than once and I couldn't find our house. I would fall in the snow and couldn't get up and they would try and try to help me, but they were too small to help me, so they would just sit down with me in the snow and cry and try to comfort me. For some reason, they still love me and we are healing, but don't lose another minute to alcohol. It is time we can never get back and we do damage that cannot be undone.
Old 02-26-2020, 04:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for posting!
I wish I could have been sober for my daughters childhood.
Old 02-26-2020, 04:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Such a nice post newhope.
Surrendered, love from our children is pure magic. I often think we underestimate how much love our kids give us. You have plenty of time to give back. It will be in a different shape but they will be very aware of it.
Big hug
Old 02-26-2020, 06:37 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm so glad I deteriorated when my kids were older, I would have lost them for sure. It's nice just being there to be able to talk to them when they need me now, they will need you all their lives!
Old 02-26-2020, 06:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Simple and yet profound post, thank you for the reminder. I wouldn't give all the buzz and escape in the world for the satisfaction and beauty and value of being a sober father. Nice work.
​​​​​
Old 02-26-2020, 12:22 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I felt so good being present for my daughter and it was the first time I really felt the joy of sobriety. At the same time though, isn’t this what a normal mother is supposed to do?

Anyway, thank you SR family for your kind words and sharing your experiences. I hope this post shows one of the many gifts sobriety has to offer for those lurking. I could not imagine wasting my Saturdays lost in a drunken haze or Sunday mornings hungover when I could chase my little one around and make her giggle.
Old 02-26-2020, 12:30 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
that's a fantastic post newhope - I'm so glad your daughter is ok and that you were able to 'present' for it

D
thanks Dee, it means a lot coming from you as you’ve seen my journey over the years. I’ve always appreciated your feedback and patience. Sometimes I don’t know how you do it.
Old 02-26-2020, 12:35 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Beautiful post, Hope. You are giving your daughter and yourself the greatest gift by being the best Mom you can ben.