Notices

Cleaning with alcohol, oh boy!

Old 02-24-2020, 01:54 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

I can only share what I would do Mera - if anything triggered me on early recovery, I'd find an alternative.

My inner addict would not be above using my fear, or my sense of duty against me.

I may be at risk (statistically) from the corona virus, but I will be at risk, even very great danger if I let myself drink again.

D
Old 02-24-2020, 02:00 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Della1968 View Post
Bleach will kill it also. You could go that route to protect both him and your sobriety.
Would love to, if I could get my hands on some. People have gone nuts here and everything is sold out. you also cannot import things like bleach, and gel, etc. So i grabbed the last bottles of rubbing alcohol I could find to stock up to protect ourselves as needed.

Again, I am not worried about myself or my children, but their father does need to be protected at all costs during this moment.
Old 02-24-2020, 02:03 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I do appeciate the "protect your sobriety" messages, but this is not a case where I can avoid using alcohol, I must in order to SAVE A LIFE. So please, enough with the alternatives. They are GONE, SOLD OUT, NOT HERE, CANNOT BE IMPORTED. This is a must and I must overcome it to SAVE A LIFE.
Old 02-24-2020, 02:12 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

Mera, your children need their mother too, not just their father. Try to bring the focus back to you and recovery.
Old 02-24-2020, 02:13 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not going to argue with you Mera.

Hopefully other alternatives like Dettol, bleach, Domestos etc - things that won't trigger you - will be more widely available again soon.

I just ask that if you ever do feel wobbly you'll check in here first.

D
Old 02-24-2020, 02:19 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Meraviglioso View Post
I do appeciate the "protect your sobriety" messages, but this is not a case where I can avoid using alcohol, I must in order to SAVE A LIFE. So please, enough with the alternatives. They are GONE, SOLD OUT, NOT HERE, CANNOT BE IMPORTED. This is a must and I must overcome it to SAVE A LIFE.
I do understand your fear Mera. I have dealt with health anxiety for a lot of my life so the whole virus thing has had me on edge ever since it all started back in January. Being as close to it as you are would make me feel incredibly fearful. Especially with the panic surrounding it and the hoarding of items. The US is starting to go into Panic mode now too in the Stock market and the news

I cant's speak for others here but I do know that everyone only wants the best for you and your sobriety. I do too and send my thoughts and hope/prayers to you to keep both your family and your sobriety safe.
Old 02-24-2020, 02:37 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
~sb

I'd use chlorine bleach and water solution for disinfecting and sanitizing.....you can look up the quantities and procedures for sanitizing and for disinfecting.
Old 02-24-2020, 02:48 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Again, not only is bleach inferior, but it is completely unavailable here at the moment.
Old 02-24-2020, 02:49 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Your children's father knows how compromised his health is. He has a lot of money and access to resources. He can, and most likely is, quarantining himself and is not in danger from your house. I understand the fear and the attempt to control tho. Be safe!
Old 02-25-2020, 01:19 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Sorry for my outburst yesterday, I am just really concerned about this.
The first case was confirmed in Tuscany today. A man who returned from Singapore 20 days ago- who knows where he has been in those past 20 days.

The problem is no him entering y house JK, it is if I bring it into my house and then the kids take it back to his house. Let's say I go out and get some money from the atm, pick up the virus (which can live on nonporous surfaces for up to 9 days) then I handle my purse, then i come home and set my purse down, the kids maybe move it or touch it. It sounds like something out of a science fiction movie but this is an interesting article that explains it.

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsan...uQKNrvQskmYwYM

I am just trying to abide my the recommendations that have been given to us to stay clean, healthy and to try to stop this thing in its tracks as quickly as possible. Fortunately the weather is getting warmer which will help slow the spread.
Old 02-25-2020, 01:35 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Guillame-Barre Syndrome - I read that Stevie Nicks from Fleetwood Mac had that. She recovered quite well eventually so I assume she didn't have as severe a version as your (ex?)-husband, but I read an interview where she said for a while it messed her up even more than her cocaine addiction.
Old 02-25-2020, 01:37 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Once a person gets the virus they develop a natural immunity.

The very old/young, weak, and sick are in the worst danger. I think the death rate is 2.3%.

I think any healthy, especially non drinking, person will be on the good side of that curve.

Thanks.

Drinking booze pretty much had my immune system destroyed.

Since quitting I really have just recently gotten sick. It was mild compared to all the drinkers I know.
Old 02-25-2020, 01:41 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sortofhomecomin View Post
Guillame-Barre Syndrome - I read that Stevie Nicks from Fleetwood Mac had that. She recovered quite well eventually so I assume she didn't have as severe a version as your (ex?)-husband, but I read an interview where she said for a while it messed her up even more than her cocaine addiction.
There are different levels. Some people just have flu like symptoms and then recover completely.
My ex was absolutely healthy. Then one day he started feeling like he was going down with something. That evening he had friends for dinner and started to get very sick. He said he was slurring his words as if he was drunk, having a hard time moving, a friend helped him to bed and took a spare set of keys to check on him the next day. By the next day he was completely paralysed from the neck down. He was transported to the hospital where he was on a breathing machine, dialysis, all kinds of life support for months. It has been about 15 years I think and he still has not recovered fully though if you looked at him you would never know he was sick. He can walk now, he has ridden a bike, he works. But he has no muscle mass to support him so everything is difficult. A few years ago we went on a ski trip, it was his first time trying. He fell and could not get up or even assist himself being lifted, I had to life his full weight to get him on his feet again.
The unfortunate thing is there is no way of knowing how much one will recover- she people recover 100%, others 80%, others less...
But he keeps going and I am proud of how hard he has worked to get where he is.

Here is a video that shows one woman's journey. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zacRx7hQCGw
Old 02-25-2020, 01:57 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Not sure you are very focus on facts and reality.
I agree your sobriety is way more important.
The information available on the WHO website is more than sufficient. For instance: https://www.who.int/emergencies/dise...c/myth-busters
Nobody is on this trip with alcohol you keep banging on about.
No idea why you are fixated with Chinese people. It has become apparent that Chinese have had a much bigger sense of self-sacrifice than others when it comes to isolation. Reported cases of coronavirus in Europe are mainly from other Europeans who have not been aware of the dangers nor thought of isolating themselves after travelling to highly contaminated areas.
You live in a country reported worlwide for hysterical sinophobia. So perhaps you should not believe information that is not coming from proper authoritative sources.
Old 02-25-2020, 02:22 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I hope your ex is ok. As others have said though, he has carers, family etc who will do all they can to protect him. I understand you don't want your kids picking something up at yours but they are also in other places, school, with friends etc.

If he is that concerned maybe it is best he stays in isolation from them or anyone else. I would be very wary about using alcohol in your house.
Old 02-25-2020, 02:27 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BackandScared View Post
Not sure you are very focus on facts and reality.
I agree your sobriety is way more important.
The information available on the WHO website is more than sufficient. For instance: https://www.who.int/emergencies/dise...c/myth-busters
Nobody is on this trip with alcohol you keep banging on about.
No idea why you are fixated with Chinese people. It has become apparent that Chinese have had a much bigger sense of self-sacrifice than others when it comes to isolation. Reported cases of coronavirus in Europe are mainly from other Europeans who have not been aware of the dangers nor thought of isolating themselves after travelling to highly contaminated areas.
You live in a country reported worlwide for hysterical sinophobia. So perhaps you should not believe information that is not coming from proper authoritative sources.
The implication that I am fixated on Chinese people is outrageous and deeply insulting as someone who prides herself on being absolutely open to all cultures and absolutely not racist. I wouldn't care if the people coming from China were Chinese, Italian, American, anyone. The fact is, the virus has exploded there and having 1500 people arrive from the heart of the outbreak is worrying. I simply pointed out they were Chinese as a way to explain why such a large number of people were returning from China to the area. they are residents here and are very welcome. But they did go back to China for the new year and are coming back.
You are correct that Italians get hysteric over stuff like this and there has been racism, but not from me, that I can assure you.
And you are very correct that the Chinese have been absolutely on top of this and are self-quarantining- even if they had not travelled t China- in order to quel panic. I have been saddened to see their shops closed.

I'm protecting my sobriety folks- by coming here for support during a difficult time and talking about my use of cleaning products and the trigger I felt. Should I have not posted? Would that have been the better option? What an insult to me personally and anyone who feels they need to come talk about something worrying them.

Anna, Dee please close this thread because I do not want to see it spiral out of control anymore. I am not trying to incite panic, I am not racist, and I am not not keeping my sobriety a priority.
Old 02-25-2020, 02:31 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thread closed.

Dee
Administrator
SR