Notices

Trying again tomorrow, even I’m bored with my day 1s

Old 02-24-2020, 08:50 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mummyto2 View Post
I gave up felt fantastic planned things to do, then rewarded myself with a bottle of wine and that was it
Yep I used to do that. Get through the day and you can get rat ass*d later!
I haven't actually replaced the reward system with anything though. I still get bored and fed up but the only thing is now I know it's not forever.
Not far off Spring and I remember you said about gardening once before. I like gardening as well, this year I plan to plant a beanstalk and hopefully if will grow up into the clouds so I can climb it and get away from this planet!
Old 02-24-2020, 08:54 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I wish I knew how to get sober and stay there, surely to god my kids would be enough as I love them so much, but even that doesn’t seem to help me stop for good, my brain says after I feel so good and happy 1 bottle, then I’m in hell again, I just don’t know anymore
Old 02-24-2020, 09:50 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

my brain says after I feel so good and happy 1 bottle, then I’m in hell again, I just don’t know anymore
Well we all know this cycle! It's just about getting through those moments of temptation in the first place: post here, go to a meeting... Like Houstin says, negative feelings - such as dissatisfaction of going without - won't last forever.
Old 02-24-2020, 09:51 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I wish I knew how to get sober and stay there, surely to god my kids would be enough as I love them so much, but even that doesn’t seem to help me stop for good, my brain says after I feel so good and happy 1 bottle, then I’m in hell again, I just don’t know anymore
It's what you know, it's familiar ground. In a way safe ground, a pressure relief system where any problem instantaneously vanishes or no longer is a problem because the drunken effect of alcohol stops you caring about it anymore.
I never came here to get sober, I came here for advice on how I could stop texting and emailing when drunk. For the life of me I never expected the response's I got and one in particular response literally stopped me in my tracks!
Ever since then I stopped drinking, I used to read here every day and in your attempts to stop drinking I read your posts. In a way your posts kept me from crossing the line. I have mentioned this before though, at around the time I sent you the link for your broken washing machine.

After I don't know how many weeks the urge somehow gets less and less, I'm not sure of when I stopped but it must of been towards the end of last summer. Nowadays I don't even think about drink, it just does not enter any equation.
I guess it does take a long time to build up tolerance to alcohol, but it doesn't seem to take to long to unbuild it. All you have to do is stick with it.
One thing I used to say was 'I'll not drink for 6 months' when I reach 6 months then I can get plastered. Well I forgot all about the 6 months, it's almost like the drink never existed.

I've only learnt through all of this that drinking is a depressant. Yes you can feel good and then have an amazing night drunk. But the moment you wake up the next day that feeling of dread hits you. That's the bit to hold onto, that's the way out. No more of that feeling.

Get your ar*e on this wagon Missy!
Old 02-24-2020, 10:11 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Time to say goodbye to the red wine Missy

Old 02-24-2020, 10:42 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hawkeye13 View Post
Have you made a recovery plan yet?

The link has been posted to many of your previous threads.

What about online meetings from some type of recovery like SMART or AA?

I don't mean this unkindly, but please realize that your spouse may reach his limit with this, and you are putting your family life at risk.

I know this because I put mine at risk and almost lost everything.
Dump out the booze, make the plan, join an online meeting.

Do something besides keep drinking
All of this.

Please come back sober and reread.
Old 02-24-2020, 04:36 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Administrator

good to see you posting again Mummyto2

wanting to quit is important but without backing that up with action, things aren't likely to change.

I've shared this before, but write down everything you can do to stop drinking...

Start with posting here - then add things like talking to a dr or counsellor... think about meeting based approaches like AA SMART and lifering (you can do any or all of those online if language is a problem) and end with the hardest things to consider doing like outpatient or inpatient rehab.

of all the other choices you've written down whats the easiest for you to put into play right now?

start there. We can all talk the talk but only action beats addiction.

D
Old 02-24-2020, 06:36 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, it's all about taking action.

Do one thing today that will help your recovery, something that you haven't tried yet.
Old 02-24-2020, 06:54 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
nez

my brain says after I feel so good and happy 1 bottle, then I’m in hell again, I just don’t know anymore
You do know. Deep down in your heart of hearts you know. You choose not to listen.
Old 02-24-2020, 07:31 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I wish I knew how to get sober and stay there, surely to god my kids would be enough as I love them so much, but even that doesn’t seem to help me stop for good
Addiction doesn't care about your kids.
We say our kids, our marriage, our job, our families, etc etc are the most important things but, let's face it, once we touch the booze it becomes the most important thing.
I wish it were different
Old 02-24-2020, 07:46 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I wish I knew how to get sober and stay there
i tried to stop and stay stopped for years by just throwing my will power at it.

In the end I went and took up a certain recovery method that has been a revolution in my life.

3-4 months of hard work, and happily sober ever since.

5 1/2 years 😎

Key word being happily. In all my other quit attempts, sobriety in and of itself, did not achieve that.
Old 02-25-2020, 02:21 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Mummyto2, I have learnt a bit of modesty after multiple fail attempts (rather promises than real attempts) to stop drinking.

I have learnt to listen and to believe others who have made it. The most important of all those lessons to me: I needed to do something different. You keep saying you do not know what to do but yo do not seem to report anything new.

The first steps to sobriety are an act of faith, or at least they were for me. I do not believe in God, I did not go to AA, but i decided to believe others and their advice. I did the thing I was not willing to do: coming out to my husband and doctor. I was willing to do everything else (including AA or others) but not honesty. And reading here I realised that I was going to fail again, because I was going to try again a method that was a replica of my past attempts.

I am sure you have a wide range of things you can try that you have not tried. I confessed, I did 'the 30 days sober experiment'; I wrote everyday 3 things i was grateful about and any other thing that would come to mind.

I am well into my 7th month and getting really better. I can see so clearly now why I was failing before. I could not see it when drinking. I had to believe others; I had to change my strategy to get different results.
Old 02-25-2020, 02:25 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I hope you are able to make a fresh start today. Wishing you well.
Old 02-25-2020, 06:28 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Purpleman View Post
Addiction doesn't care about your kids.
We say our kids, our marriage, our job, our families, etc etc are the most important things but, let's face it, once we touch the booze it becomes the most important thing.
I wish it were different
My mom has felt for years, even sober, that she could have stopped for us. No, she couldn't. And she couldn't stay sober til she decided to put herself first.

Gently but firmly, I say this: the best gift you can give your children is picking YOU. Then you can love them the best possible way you can.

it's time, mummy.
Old 02-25-2020, 09:56 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for your advice and kind words ❤️
Old 02-25-2020, 10:41 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Mummy, i feel your pain. I can relate. I am a momma to one boy. He is 10. Can i tell you this. This is not going to get better. It will get worse if you keep drinking. I had to hit rock bottom to admit this. I feel i wasted so many years now and i kick myself. You do not want that do you? Not judging and i am not an expert. Heck i only 10 days myself, but i know its different this time. It can be different for you too. Post on here, try AA, online meetings? I am hear if you want to chat ever.
Old 02-25-2020, 11:03 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for your advice and kind words ❤️
So, thoughts on taking our advice? More important than thanking us.

I was brilliant at lip service. Til I was willing to get honest.
Old 02-25-2020, 02:22 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Are you sober today?
Old 02-26-2020, 07:52 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I couldn’t do it, it’s like it’s got a grip and it won’t let go sorry
Old 02-26-2020, 08:03 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Administrator

Mummy, you CAN stop drinking. You have the power to make the choice.