Notices

2 nights

Old 02-22-2020, 03:45 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Yes I’m up for trying SMART. I don’t want any more mixed messages in my threads.

To be clear what I want and need is total abstinence from Alcohol in all forms now and for the rest of my life!

What is SMART what does it involve?
Old 02-22-2020, 03:50 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

Here is the link:

https://www.smartrecovery.org
Old 02-22-2020, 03:52 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

A faith in God is a great asset in staying sober - if it stops you from picking up a drink.

Faith alone did not keep me sober - I struggle with fear over faith - but I genuinely hope it will work for you.

It’s difficult when that sudden impulse hits. Impulsiveness is a huge problem for me and I wonder if I have some degree of brain damage from my years of drinking.
its those moments where prayer and devotion, backed by action like reaching out for help and support, can change the outcome.

I don't believe that anyone here who can get online and post is too brain damaged to recover.

I also don't believe that once you're on auto pilot to get that drink that a drinking outcome is assured.

You can change your mind anytime in the process of going to get the drink, bringing it home, and opening the bottle.

Call in the reinforcements, whether secular or Divine

Have you considered Celebrate Recovery?
https://www.celebraterecovery.com
Old 02-22-2020, 03:57 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hey Stable
Years ago I was a daily drinker for maybe 10 years, then after I met my now husband I cut down to binging a few times a week. When I got pregnant 5 years ago I quit altogether for about 14 months then gradually it crept back in. ..the odd night out turned into just fridays turned into 2 nights turned into 3-4 nights of complete excess each week. Which is where I've been for the past few years, give or take a couple of week to month long attempts at sobriety.

I used to tell myself all kinds of things...
I'm not drinking daily...
It's just the weekends..
I dont drink in the day..
I dont drink until my son is asleep..
If I just stop drinking for long enough, the desire will go.

The truth is, binging was just as (if not more) damaging as the daily drinking. I was still as addicted as I ever was , but I had this illusion that somehow I was in control because I could abstain for a few days at a time. But I was lying to myself.

I dont think the amount we drink or the patterns we drink in are the problem. We focus on the wrong things. It's the impact its having on us that's important. You clearly dont want to be where you are anymore. Whatever you've done before has led you back there so think about what you can do that's different?