Notices

Job Hunting

Old 02-21-2020, 03:45 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

If I drink again, it will be for the courage to say my good byes because nothing else worked out. I'll be in a situation where I'm ready at a moment's notice to go through with it and can't be found quick enough to stop me.

Just not sure if I could do that to my dad. Though he has friends for support. I don't have any close friends for good reason.

I'm not living a life where I'm either homeless or just mooching off my dad. I suppose I could just work a minimum wage job if all else fails. But I'm not doing that until I die.
this is about more than finding a job you love, Chris.
I really hope you'll get some help for your depression.

You've been doing amazingly well - it's been an amazing experience to watch you get sober, and start to feel happy and positive for the future, brother.

For some of us tho, we need to take care of other underlying factors to stay happy and content.

there's no shame in being depressed - or in getting help for it.

D
Old 02-21-2020, 03:49 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I'm not depressed, I'm just sad.
Don't ya think I oughta just suck it up? Maybe pull myself up by the bootstraps?

In all seriousness though, I think my depression is linked to alcohol use. It goes away and just gets replaced by a duller sense of - I don't know - anhedonia? Then it's anxiety and boredom and a feeling like I'm missing out on something.

I'm not taking anti-depressants or anxiolytics. The most a doctor could do for me is tell me to go exercise and eat healthy. Maybe send me to a therapist - but I think that would be a waste of a therapist's time.
Old 02-21-2020, 03:52 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ThatWasTheOldMe View Post
Don't ya think I oughta just suck it up? Maybe pull myself up by the bootstraps?
You are depressed, not sad. Get some help.
Old 02-21-2020, 04:01 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I might try to get a trazadone prescription for sleep when I have a job with insurance.
Old 02-21-2020, 04:03 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

No. For someone like me who's dealt with this for 50 years, the difference between depressed and sad is clear, palpable even.

I'll leave it.

I know it's a real struggle for us males to ask for help or admit that there's a problem, but I hope you do both Chris.

You're worth the effort

D
Old 02-21-2020, 04:14 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I shouldn't have been sarcastic with you, Dee.
I'm sorry.

Thank you for helping me.
Old 02-21-2020, 04:45 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I really think it's more important to treat your mood at the moment TWTOM. Job with health insurance must come second to your low mood. Besides, you're not going to get a job if your'e depressed/sad.

Everything appears negative when feeling this way TWTOL. I recommend seeing your doctor.
Old 02-21-2020, 05:02 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Administrator

I shouldn't have been sarcastic with you, Dee.
I'm sorry.

Thank you for helping me.
no worries man and no need for apology
All good here

D
Old 02-22-2020, 05:15 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
~sb

In all seriousness though, I think my depression is linked to alcohol use. It goes away and just gets replaced by a duller sense of - I don't know - anhedonia? Then it's anxiety and boredom and a feeling like I'm missing out on something.

I'm not taking anti-depressants or anxiolytics. The most a doctor could do for me is tell me to go exercise and eat healthy. Maybe send me to a therapist - but I think that would be a waste of a therapist's time.
From my experience, may I suggest that you are not staying stopped long enough to reap the benefits of sobriety.....you described me, except this last time I worked on not drinking I stuck with it. Life is so much more with a sober body and mind!

Ya gotta put that effort into staying stopped.....and stop fighting alcohol, it won, for now. Tired of the hamster wheel? Had enough yet? Now is a great time to start anew!
Old 02-22-2020, 09:36 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
~sb

anhedonia precedes the happiness.....
Old 02-22-2020, 05:41 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

For the past 5 years I've been working in a family business which is a wine bar. Once upon a time I was the day manager/bartender. I quit drinking and couldn't bartend anymore so I moved to the kitchen (I also did all the computer stuff, graphic arts etc) but going to a bar everyday and being stuck there sometimes when you used to drink all the time is just not conductive to sobriety. I've been trying to get out of the bar but I had to stay working while job hunting. Being a family business I wasn't really taking home a paycheck and the bartending tips dried up. I was miserable there and it was a big obstacle to my sobriety.

I was given the greenlight to go job hunting and started that back in August, looking mostly into tech support/IT type jobs. I sent out hundreds of applications and had 9 face to face interviews, all seemed promising but one, a couple of them had the courtesy to tell me I'd not be hired most just leave you hanging. Not sure where my liabilities were outside of obviously approaching 50 and trying to get into tech where I have 8 years experience at a good local software firm. Dressed sharp, answered questions well, felt very positive. Applied for jobs in a range of wages.

Just this week I started a job at the local Supermarket working the deli counter, we'll see how it goes. It's a tad bit over minimum wage but I'm going to go in there and work my best no matter what and see where I takes me. I have a lot of customer and food service experience in my past.

I'm just going to tell myself to take pride in myself and take pride in my job and work to help people. At the end of the day it's all I can do. It'll take me a year to have insurance but at least I will. They hire all kinds of folks there and there's lots of jobs to do that don't directly deal with the public.

It feels really good to get away from that bar, this weight has been removed from my shoulders. I do manage to have three years sobriety and it's just getting easy. I'm 47 years old and there's still some life in front of me. I just had to suck it up and take a job that would give me one. 6 months and 9 interviews
to get a job was rough!
Old 02-22-2020, 05:49 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Administrator

hey congrats tekink

I think I'd like to work at a deli counter.
Let us know how you get on

D
Old 02-23-2020, 01:23 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

A minimum wage job is enough to pay the electricity bill here. Though I suppose that's not all that relevant if you can't afford rent.

People act like being paid enough to survive is a luxury.