Notices

Cravings at 31 days

Old 02-20-2020, 02:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cravings at 31 days

Hey everyone. At 31 days and having super strong cravings could have to do with a job interview I have tomorrow morning. Not sure why but my anxiety has been through the roof. Could not sleep last night. Also, my meds for bipolar have been making me feel very tired...

Advice?
Old 02-20-2020, 02:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AsherCohn1991 View Post
Hey everyone. At 31 days and having super strong cravings could have to do with a job interview I have tomorrow morning. Not sure why but my anxiety has been through the roof. Could not sleep last night. Also, my meds for bipolar have been making me feel very tired...

Advice?
Yeah - don't drink.
That would be terrible for your job interview.

Sometimes we just have to get through it one day at a time. This is a very important day for you to get through.
Old 02-20-2020, 02:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I still had craving for a while. You can't wipe away 20 years of addiction in a month...but there is support and understanding here. Have you looked at this link Asher?

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

congrats on 31 days

D
Old 02-20-2020, 03:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you! I am taking it slow...at the end of the day it is just an interview better to try and fail than not try at all

Originally Posted by ThatWasTheOldMe View Post
Yeah - don't drink.
That would be terrible for your job interview.

Sometimes we just have to get through it one day at a time. This is a very important day for you to get through.
Old 02-20-2020, 03:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

also, I just felt that using would ease the anxiety away but decided to post on here instead
Old 02-20-2020, 03:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

anxiety can be good - keeps you at the top of your game?

D
Old 02-20-2020, 04:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

Your body cells have memories; it's probably just your nerves wanting to calm down. Now is a good time to learn meditation.....and other calming techniques
Old 02-20-2020, 04:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

also, I just felt that using would ease the anxiety away but decided to post on here instead
It would make your anxiety terrible tomorrow.
Old 02-20-2020, 04:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Great choice to come here instead. Interviews would make anyone nervous. Better to do what you can to prepare for it tonight-- anticipate questions and come up with answers, wardrobe choices, etc. May quell some of the nerves. Drinking would almost ensure you wouldn't get the job.

Best of luck to you tomorrow!
Old 02-20-2020, 05:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

31 days is brilliant... and the good news is it gets much better!
I found once I reached a month, I actually had enough space and distance to actually be able to deal with the issues that got me there in the first place. I would even say sobriety only really started after the first month because until then, I was very much not drinking rather than really sober. My body and mind feel as though they are actually healing now rather than simply abstaining.
I believe it took that amount of time to start feeling the real benefits. I'm on day 52 now. I am still having triggers but I feel relatively secure in my sobriety. It's been some weeks since I've seriously thought about drinking. My sleep has settled, my panic attacks have lessened (not gone away - mental illness was always there but the booze was cultivating it for sure), I have started to feel joy in small pleasures again.
So please look forward to the next day and the next one because from here you can start to really experience true sobriety.
Good luck for your interview. I've done many on a hangover and it is not fun at all. You're giving yourself the best chance!
Old 02-20-2020, 06:36 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Great choice. What I'm thinking is that interviews, being normally stressful and anxiety arousing challenges that they are, you are in a agitated state of psychological unknowns. You mind has the desire to return to a more familiar psychological environment, and the one you are most familiar with, even at 30 days is a state of intoxication.

But the 5 cent psychology aside, the next couple of days will be an important crossroads. Stay sober though this set of cravings, and when you come out the other side, you will have reached a higher level of confidence and strength. Early recovery is a time of continuing challenge because these surprise cravings can be disheartening. Now is the time to marshal your resources and remember that it's NOT always going to be this way. Use this challenge to become stronger.