Notices

Don’t Quit this Weekend - Weekenders 21 - 24 February 2020

Old 02-21-2020, 04:34 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Good morning from here on the chilly northeast coast U.S. (14F or minus 10C at 6:45 a.m.). It was a pretty sunrise although I don't get much of a view from my street-floor condo flat.

Here is the sunrise over Brooklyn last Saturday from when I was in NYC:

Back home now, a partly workywork weekend, but fun bits, too:

Meeting friends for $1 oysters (and other apps, esp. for hubby, who, being a midwesterner born and raised, cannot get used to the slurping and gulping of raw gelatinous bivalves, no matter how delicious the dipping sauce) during happy hour this evening. We may repair home with our friends after, to see about a movie night at home.

Anyone see The Ballad of Buster Scruggs on Netflix? I love it, it's by the Coen Brothers, who brought us Fargo. As I type I think I've mentioned it here before. Anyways, it is 5 or 6 separate stories, different actors in each, all brilliantly told. I might propose that for tonight.

Thoughts and prayers for those facing difficult situations and challenges, esp. SoberLeigh and MantaLady on this thread.

ML it sounds like you are so self-aware of the external and internal factors and triggers that have been resulting in your recent slips, as well as coping strategies; that self-knowledge will no doubt serve you well in the long run. Now, how to keep each moment a sober one as it arrives? If only the answer were easy. Please keep posting here; I am a newbie here but it is clear you have a well of long-time supporters here on SR. It has no doubt been covered in earlier posts, but, may I ask, what about supporters IRL? Anyone you can call or visit when a seemingly irresistible urge arises?

Keep on keeping on folks.
Old 02-21-2020, 04:35 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Right cold here in the eastern USA too.

Got the fire blazing though so all will be ok.
Probably wont get mich done outside though.

Sorry to hear about your friend leigh.
Quitting smoking was one of the hardest things Ive ever done but so worth it.
Old 02-21-2020, 05:14 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Thanks for the new thread and another great introduction Mags

Praying for your friend Soberleigh

Loving the sunrise over Brooklyn photo jr
Old 02-21-2020, 06:19 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Hello Weekenders!

Thanks for this new chapter Mags

Let’s not quit! indeed! ☼
Old 02-21-2020, 06:43 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Awake61 View Post
Grateful to read this thread this early morning. The urges to drink have been very strong lately. Probably because I'm in a rather dark time again in my life. But I know booze brings no relief. I'm slowly working on a plan regarding my living situation, but it takes time. Plus the fact that I have burned a lot of bridges in the past. Yet forward it is. Thank you all for listening!
With you every step dear Awake. s ❤️

More love dear Manta. s ❤️

Old 02-21-2020, 06:54 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Thanks, Mags ~

Atypical warm Weather today that tops out later at a sunny 55 F [13 C]. So, I'm bustin' out the Pressure Sprayer to blast Mud off the Truck to prep for pending Travel next Monday. We head East to set up Shop at our usual Dog-friendly Motel on the other side of the Rocky Mountains to prep for MesaMate's Shoulder Surgery next Wednesday. The Boulder Motel is in the Webcam view below.

We're also slogging through the familiar House Prep learned in prior Surgeries to ease Jockette functioning here with one good Arm for the 6 Weeks of Rehab when we return in 1 Week. So far, most all the critical Trip Planning involves hitting our favorite Restaurants for Meals we can't get here. Like, good Pho. And, planning the best Take Away Meals there for post-Surgery chowing. She just experimented with putting on Eyeliner using her left Hand, so that success was a big damn Chick Victory. Alice Cooper get back!

MesaDog is adapting well to having 3 good Legs. I should have coped so well with Life perturbations, and skipped Decades of Alcohol Dysfunction, eh? Save light Rain/Snow here on Sunday, it's dry here now, and where we're headed. That helps with his Paw grip. A spiffy new telescoping Dog Ramp gets delivered later today. This will enable easy access to the cushy Truck back area w/Dog Bed until - and after- his ACL Repair Surgery 10 Days from now.

Manta, I did a pretty crap job of coping over much of my High Tech Career. As with subsequent Sobriety Years after Retiring at age 48, the key seems to be coping with The Outside World by fundamentally changing The Inside World. A tall order, I realize, but Sao is onto the answer. Because I was the Main Answer Man Worldwide to Customers like Intel or Seagate, I was excused from Corporate BS sometimes. Alternately, I learned to fake a vibration from my Belt Pager - suddenly twitch and look down - and exit Mind-numbing Meetings to take an imaginary Call. Hee hee, devious, but effective in preventing a full meltdown Job quit while breathing deeply viewing Mountains outside.

~ Boulder CO Webcam ~

In an Afternoon yesterday I'll never get back, I took PIx of all our Tax Docs for our Preparer. Pix suffice now vs. Photocopies. We've shed complicating Financial Flotsam & Jetsam over the Years, so it all gets a lil more tolerable. Beats going to Debtor Jail, I suppose.

Art Rockers Icehouse from the Oz Fire Fundraiser. Loved these Gents back in the Day. Love this long version still...

~ 'Great Southern Land' ~ Icehouse ~ Live In Sydney ~

Here's our Sober Morning View for you, Leigh, Always good to see ya 'round! I hope your Friend realizes a peaceful Transition...

Old 02-21-2020, 08:50 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Good morning/evening, lovely ones.

Thank you so very much for your thoughts and prayers; they are truly appreciated. I have not received an update this morning; the last was that she had slipped into a non-responsive state. She has been unable to speak and now no longer squeezes a hand or opens her eyes.

MesaMan, what a sunrise!!! Simply glorious.

jr67, nice sunrise over Brooklyn! Thank you.

MantaLady, so proud of you for not picking up that bottle of wine; well done. This will get easier, I promise.

Stay strong, Awake; the rewards of sustained sobriety are many. Hope the darkness soon clears completely. We are here for you.

Good suggestion, HeadEast. It is important to know that the dangers are real.

Sending love to all.
Old 02-21-2020, 08:52 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Well done on swerving the wine Manta! Enjoy your week off.

I'm sorry you are in a dark place Awake but your attitude is excellent. I really hope you can work something out re your living situation.

Unlike MantaLady I have sliced off work for most of the day to visit the London Classic Car Show. Tbh it was disappointing but this is one of the better ones, a Zagato bodied Aston Martin DB4 Coupe from 1960. They are worth north of 8 figures now so we were not allowed to get close. 007 should have insisted on one of those.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20200221_165200_compress53.jpg (94.4 KB, 57 views)
Old 02-21-2020, 10:00 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Count me in please. Just got my sentence for DUI. No desire at all to drink now, but we all know how that can change. 6 days sober right now.
Old 02-21-2020, 10:39 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Welcome letsdance. Been there more times than I care to remember.
Old 02-21-2020, 11:43 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Mr

Welcome to the thread LetsDance ✌️
6 days is a pretty good start.

What a beauty Sao.

Nighty night weekenders
Old 02-21-2020, 12:20 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Welcome to Weekenders letsdance! Congratulations on 6 days too. Hold on to the fact that it does get a whole lot easier in time and that if you can get through the first couple of full weekends you will be well and truly heading in the right direction.

I think I posted this track before in the dim and distant past but parts of it might have been written with SR and Weekenders in mind.

https://youtu.be/EF3bu9fmheA
Old 02-21-2020, 12:46 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Magsie

Welcome letsdance.

Awake, I hope things go better for you soon.

jr, I’ve not seen the Ballard of Buster Scruggs but I liked Fargo, so May watch it if I can find it on any other network. I’m not subscribed to Netflix....lovely photo.

MesaMan lovely sunrise. A beautiful view.

Saou, I love the red car, very sleek.
Old 02-21-2020, 02:34 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Saout I just looked up sexy in the dictionary and there was nothing but a pic of the Austin!
Old 02-21-2020, 02:45 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Rough couple weeks, I had a few but only momentary cravings this week. I’m not super happy with my life right now. I’ll rest up this weekend and hopefully my luck changes soon
Old 02-21-2020, 08:28 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Weekenders

Mariposa, sorry things are going rough for you. If you want to talk about it we’re here for you love.
Old 02-21-2020, 10:53 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Smile Helloooooooo

Sup weekenders? Been a while. 6 years and some change sober. Decided to quit drinking and never looked back. Just returned from an annual week long camp out in Sequoia Nat'l Forest. When they pass the bottle around the camp fire they just skip me now. Not drinking is nothing more than no thanks if offered. Clarity of mind is under rated. Spend most of my spare time centered around fly fishing. Wait a minute, all my time is spare time... Decided a few years ago to officially quit the rat race.
Heading to Italy in a couple weeks. A few days in Sorrento and a few days in Rome. All the usual stuff and a hike.
Thinking about getting ready to plant radishes and salads.
Hope all are well. I see Dee is back in the mix. Hi Dee, and everyone else.
To those new, don't give up. Someday you'll look back and it will be a distant memory. But never forget why you came here in the first place.
Old 02-21-2020, 10:58 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good to hear from you LB - and congrats on 6 years.
Hows the mandolining?

D
Old 02-21-2020, 11:03 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  
Mr

Morning Weekenders.

Hope everyone got through friday evening. If you didnt well dont give up.

I am going to help a friend with plaster board work today. Lugging them up the stairs to the second floor which is being renovated.

Sao out of curiosity whats that beside the zagato db4 ?, a lancia maybe, It's a zagato something or other but cant make out what...
Old 02-21-2020, 11:07 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Mr

Good to hear from you LBrain.
You seem to be living the good life.

I'm a freshwater fly fishing fan too.
Trout only...

Enjoy italy