Notices

Alone

Old 02-19-2020, 02:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alone

Up until now I have done this alone, I haven’t had a drink since I got admitted to hospital on the 24th September 2017. I nearly lost my sight and was unable to walk properly due to alcohol misuse and nutrition deficiency. I was a broken and hugely embarrassed person. I spent nearly three weeks in hospital and eventually was able to walk again and regain my sight, when I went in I was majorly hallucinating which gradually went before I was discharged. I went home taking 14 tablets a day for my recovery process, but I had to ask What now? What have I got in place for when I get home so this doesn’t happen again! I was given the medication but that was all. I haven’t had a drink but it has been a huge battle.
Old 02-19-2020, 02:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Over two years and no drinking all on your own? I would say that you are a very strong person dedicated to your recovery. I would also say that you don't have to go it alone. I have found this site to be brimming with kind and helpful people. Use it often and you won't feel alone in the battle again.

So glad you've made your way here!
Old 02-19-2020, 02:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you, I didn’t have anyone going through and didn’t feel AA was right for me. I have asked GP for something like this because there is always a what if moment and what would I do,where would I turn to. I felt so alone and that there was no programme put in place for me. Thank you for your kind words.
Old 02-19-2020, 02:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I feel a sense of relief
Old 02-19-2020, 02:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Cocojanie - it's so good to have you with us. I felt all alone until I came here. We all understand what you've been through - like others can't. This is a great place for encouragement. Welcome!
Old 02-19-2020, 03:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kjma View Post
Over two years and no drinking all on your own? I would say that you are a very strong person dedicated to your recovery. I would also say that you don't have to go it alone. I have found this site to be brimming with kind and helpful people. Use it often and you won't feel alone in the battle again.

So glad you've made your way here!
Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
Hi Cocojanie - it's so good to have you with us. I felt all alone until I came here. We all understand what you've been through - like others can't. This is a great place for encouragement. Welcome!
Exactly what Kjma and Hevyn said.

I found quickly that people here knew exactly what I was going through and it's doubtful that I would have made it to day 10 otherwise, much less to day 39.

Its amazing that you've accomplished what you have without a support base.
Old 02-19-2020, 03:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm happy you found us. You have done a great job on your own. We are eager to get to know you, and find out how you did it so well.
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I hope you can find support here as I have.
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Cocojanie - welcome

you'll certainly find support and hope here

If you're looking for more face to face support as well, there are other meeting based approaches besides AA - have a look at SMART recovery and Lifering perhaps?

http://www.smartrecovery.org.uk/
https://www.lifering.org

D
Old 02-19-2020, 03:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cocojanie View Post
Up until now I have done this alone, I haven’t had a drink since I got admitted to hospital on the 24th September 2017. I nearly lost my sight and was unable to walk properly due to alcohol misuse and nutrition deficiency. I was a broken and hugely embarrassed person. I spent nearly three weeks in hospital and eventually was able to walk again and regain my sight, when I went in I was majorly hallucinating which gradually went before I was discharged. I went home taking 14 tablets a day for my recovery process, but I had to ask What now? What have I got in place for when I get home so this doesn’t happen again! I was given the medication but that was all. I haven’t had a drink but it has been a huge battle.
The thing that strikes me is the "hugely embarrassed person" part.
There is SIGNIFICANT scientific evidence that addiction is far more than "it's your own damn fault." A lot of this evidence has been discovered in the recent decade - neuroscience is a very new science, and there's even more that people don't understand.

The people that need to be embarrassed are those that intentionally hurt others - not those that unintentionally hurt themselves for likely complex neurochemical reasons.

There's some truth to that old adage, "We're sick people trying to get better; not bad people trying to get good."
Old 02-19-2020, 04:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, I'm glad you found us and I know you will find lots of support here.
Old 02-19-2020, 05:58 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome coco!
Stick around, this place is great.
Old 02-19-2020, 07:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome and do stick around! This forum and participants are so supportive and knowledgeable about recovery. It’s a great place to learn and feel like part of a family. It really helps to cheer others on too. So glad you found us!
Old 02-19-2020, 09:18 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome coco Janie.

Keep posting. There is really great support here.
Old 02-20-2020, 03:00 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cityboy View Post
Exactly what Kjma and Hevyn said.

I found quickly that people here knew exactly what I was going through and it's doubtful that I would have made it to day 10 otherwise, much less to day 39.

Its amazing that you've accomplished what you have without a support base.
Thank you, I had close family and my partner who has been my rock but no one who can fully understand the dark times and battle that you go through.
Old 02-20-2020, 04:57 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cocojanie View Post
Thank you, I had close family and my partner who has been my rock but no one who can fully understand the dark times and battle that you go through.
This is why this place is so great.
It is full of people who have been there and do not want to see others suffer the same.

When I told my wife I was quitting she said "you're not that bad you pretty much only drink beer".
I could have used that as a free pass to start drinking again but instead realized she has no idea what my drinking is about.
It's not her fault or a bad thing she just has never been there.
Old 02-20-2020, 10:17 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome Coco! I'm on Day 50 and outside my husband and daughter THIS is my main support system. I come here every day and at the very least do some reading. There's so much information and support on here
Old 02-20-2020, 10:55 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

You're certainly not alone here. I do need some support/contact with people as isolating was a big thing for me and usually ended up with me in a mess and drunk so staying in contact is critical.
Old 02-20-2020, 12:42 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Reaching out has been a massive help for and the response from people. I no longer feel alone.
Old 02-20-2020, 02:51 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thats great to hear cocojanie

D