Notices

Hydrating

Old 02-19-2020, 10:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hydrating

Hi! I've completed day 6...the longest ever for me! I'm still super-exhausted and I know waking up all throughout the night isn't helping.

I'm having a hard time hydrating. I am normally terrible at it so it's a real challenge. Plain water (even flavored with cucumbers and other fruits/veggies) doesn't do it for me. I am drinking hot tea and some gatorade here and there.

Does anyone have any suggestions on more fun/interesting drinks you've used to stay hydrated?

THANK YOU!!
Old 02-19-2020, 10:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I drink a lot of seltzer water. I like the bubbles.
Old 02-19-2020, 10:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Herbal teas have dozens of flavors these days, my favorites are licorice, blood orange and berry combos.

Water with lemon or lime juice

A cup of soup is pretty good too in the colder months
Old 02-19-2020, 11:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great job! Keep it up.
Old 02-19-2020, 01:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm on Day 49 and still noticing the need to consciously hydrate, so keep it up.

I have drunk more herbal tea in these past 7 weeks than the total in my life before 2 January 2020. Yesterday I went to a local tea store for the first time, to see what kind of variety they have. Answer: Many, many to choose from, including traditional (caffeinated) teas and herbal teas, many combinations of spices and flavors. If you live in a relatively densely populated area you can probably find a tea store nearby, or of course there is the internet for home delivery.

I've also been trying chai and learning that each cafe has a different blend, it seems (most too sweet for my taste as I am generally not a sweet-drink kind of guy, unless it is specifically something that is by definition sweet like a hot chocolate), but I have found one or two cafes whose versions I like.

I also have "discovered" ginger tea. You can buy it as a tea, or for a large (and probably cheaper) batch of tea that can be reheated as needed (or you can drink it cold), just take, say, an inch of average-thickness ginger root, slice into thin slivers, bring to the boil in about a quart of water, and let simmer for a while. If not strong enough, add more ginger. If too strong, add more water.

I went through a celery-juice phase on the recommendation of a friend of a friend (lasted about a week), but it did not suit my taste as a regular indulgence.

I've been drinking more lattes and large coffees, too, but I'm not sure they actually help hydrate, because caffeine is a diuretic (right?). Still, I like the flavor and the kick (but I need to stop by 4 p.m. or earlier or it will affect my sleep). I'm drinking "dirty" chais, too (chai with a shot or two of espresso).

At a bar or a house party where I might formerly have had a manhattan or a martini I like a mocktail made with about one-third grapefruit juice and two-thirds (diet, non-alcoholic) ginger beer, and (if going fancy) minced mint adds some zest. (Though the point is well taken that for some newly sober folks (or more long-term folks, too, I suppose), it might be dicey to imitate alcohol-infused drinks with lookalikes and taste-alikes, as it could lower one's resistance to returning to the version made with alcohol; so beware.)

Mostly, I am happy to report, I have noticed in my newfound sobriety that *all* food and drink is tasting better to me, and I am noticing and appreciating textures and nuances of flavor more sensitively than before. That has been one of the unexpected (by me) pleasures of this sobriety.

Congrats on Day 6 , marleysmama, and good luck with keeping on board the sobertrain.
Old 02-19-2020, 02:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Coffee and tea are good idea. If you go into a grocery store, back where they sell Gatorade they will have a bunch of flavored drinks.
Old 02-19-2020, 04:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

my protocol was pedialyte if I was really wrecked, otherwise Gatorade and water.
Old 02-19-2020, 04:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

If you have anxiety or even light withdrawal symptoms, too much caffeine probably isn't great since it's a diuretic and a stimulant.
Old 02-19-2020, 04:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I like tomato juice, although it can be too salty for some.
Old 02-19-2020, 04:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I drink a lot of diet tonic water with ice and lemon or American Clear (Clear American?) have some really nice flavors l like the pineapple and coconut. Or water enhancers Mio make a nice blueberry lemonade.

Good luck you're doing brilliantly!
Old 02-19-2020, 04:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I drank a ton of La Croix during the first months of my sobriety. I think part of it was as a replacement for drinking beer all the time. I’ve tried all types of stuff and now I’m into juicing. So many more options in the world than alcohol!
Old 02-20-2020, 06:17 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you! I just read about ginger tea and ginger beer yesterday too and I love ginger. Also Vitamin water. I'm going to keep on with the tea, I'm the tea queen now. And try out some of your recommendations.

I'm super dizzy today and I know from past, that's dehydration.
Old 02-20-2020, 11:53 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I used to be hooked on Diet Coke, but I’ve gradually eased off. Now I drink mostly sparkling water, especially when it’s really cold on a hot day. Sometimes iced tea hits the spot
Old 02-21-2020, 10:38 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Seltzer with plenty of ice in a tall glass. Add a splash of pineapple juice and squeeze about a quarter of a lime in. A quick stir. It is soooo refreshing!
Old 02-21-2020, 10:40 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

And. Congrats on day six.

Also, I found that eating watermelon was good for rehydrating and to give some energy.
Or a nice bowl of cubed up watermelon, cantaloupe and honeydew is good too.
Old 02-21-2020, 02:43 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
In Recovery

Distilled water with Himalayan Salt and O2 Drops. You feel it run through your veins after about 5 minutes.
Old 02-23-2020, 05:52 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks, everyone! And psilyguy, I have never heard of O2 drops...what do they do for you? Thanks! MM