Notices

First time posting

Old 02-17-2020, 07:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First time posting

Hello

a little background I drank for 10 years , 5 years heavier 1-2 bottles wine day. Then I stopped for 2 years. Recently I started drinking again a feed days on and then weeks off. This has been for the last 3 months. I’ve decided to quit again because every time I drink I go back to 2 bottles wine. Also i read about something called kindling which scares me is it possible I’m experiencing this with my amount of alcohol I’m scared about seizures
Old 02-17-2020, 08:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Headstock! I've experienced what I think is kindling, too. It's scary! Today is day nine for me, and I still don't feel great. But, it's better than a hangover.
Old 02-17-2020, 08:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome Headstock
Old 02-17-2020, 08:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Headstock

Yeah that's pretty much what happens with folks like us.

Earlier in my drinking days I could stop for quite long periods, which in my mind proved I didn't have a REAL drinking problem but as soon as I started to drink again, I'd be back to the worst of it, within days or weeks.

Then it got much harder to stop for any length of time, then it got to pass out drunk 6-7 days of the week, then drinking in the morning to cope with the hangover and get to work and on and on it went.

Permanent abstinence seems to be the only known treatment and I wish you all the best in trying to accept that and then attain it.
Old 02-17-2020, 08:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi thanks for the replies , I started drinking because of anxiety. So is it possible to have seizures from drinking the amount I’ve drank
Old 02-17-2020, 08:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome, Headstock. Very glad that you found us and posted. Wine was my drink of choice, too. It seemed so sophisticated (until it was far from it).

Kindling seems to be a common experience among we alcoholics.

If you have experienced seizures, Headstock, I believe that it would be wise to consult your doctor. If you are experiencing them now, please go to the ER. If you are afraid of withdrawal and the possibility of seizures, it may be good to have someone stay with you for a few days or at least have someone who is checking in with you regularly.

In any case, I believe that partnering with your doctor is a great component of your plan for sobriety.

Very glad to have you with us. You will find an abundance of support and encouragement here.

Stay close.
Old 02-17-2020, 09:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you no I’ve never had a seizure I’m asking what are the odds with the amount I drank also have any of you ever had heart palpitations day after drinking?
Old 02-17-2020, 09:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Impossible to know if you will have a seizure. Everyone is different. The heart palpitations are normal and part of withdrawal symptoms.
Old 02-17-2020, 09:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I don’t drink everyday like recently I was 3 weeks sober then drank yesterday is it possible with such gaps to get dts and seizures? I’ve never had heart palpitations from hangover
Old 02-17-2020, 09:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it might be best for you to talk to your doctor. We are not allowed to give any kind of medical advice. The tricky thing with withdrawals is that they are unpredictable and can be dangerous. And, symptoms vary from person to person. Your doctor would be the best person to talk to about the possibility of seizures.
Old 02-17-2020, 10:26 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I’m so mad at myself. I had quit for 2 years what stupid part of my prank convinced me I was ok to drink again I feel like 2 years seems like an eternity right now thanks for your messages
Old 02-17-2020, 11:18 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Make this a blip on your radar screen, Headstock. Put together a strong Sober Plan and move forward with determination, self-love, and our support.
Old 02-17-2020, 11:39 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Headstock
Old 02-17-2020, 11:55 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Headstock View Post
I don’t drink everyday like recently I was 3 weeks sober then drank yesterday is it possible with such gaps to get dts and seizures? I’ve never had heart palpitations from hangover
If you went 3 weeks sober and then drank for one day I can't imagine there would be much withdraw other than a hangover. However, I looked up "kindling" because this is the first I've heard of it. It sounds pretty scary. Seeking medical advice from a Doctor is always the best route.

I'm on day 47 and I drank the equivalent of 2 bottles everyday, sometimes more. What I did experience right after quitting was severe anxiety. Actually, I was also anxious for many months while at work before I finally quit for good. I drank at night and was in withdraw every day. Alcohol turned on me without me even knowing it. In my mind I was using it to cure the anxiety but in reality it prevented me from dealing with personal issues and messed with my brain chemistry causing even more anxiety.

Maybe you needed this experience to remind you of how precious sobriety is.
Old 02-17-2020, 12:04 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Headstock View Post
I’m so mad at myself. I had quit for 2 years what stupid part of my prank convinced me I was ok to drink again I feel like 2 years seems like an eternity right now thanks for your messages
Don't be mad, be grateful because you already know you have what it takes (2 years is a long time). And be grateful that your message could positively impact others like me who will be at risk of going back out at some point. Reading your message makes me more determined!

So thank you and welcome back to the sober-train!
Old 02-17-2020, 12:21 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome Headstock!
You will find a lot of support here from SR members....read and post often.
Easy Does It!
Old 02-17-2020, 12:39 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome!
Old 02-17-2020, 02:59 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome headstock

The longer we drink - the more years - a lot of us find the worse the withdrawal becomes.

That, every simply put, is what kindling is.

It could include seizures, but certainly not for everyone.
No one here can tell you if you'll have seizures or not - best to see you own Doctor

D
Old 02-17-2020, 03:09 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hey everyone thanks for the replies I haven't drank today one thing is for sure after 2 years sober the thought of not drinking is a lot easier I thought I could moderate I did drink about seven times since I started again with long gaps in between but doesn’t matter it’s the amount I drink when I do drink that’s the problem. So 2 years seems like a milestone to start over but here we go one day at a time thanks everyone