Notices

sexual orientation and recovery...

Old 02-15-2020, 08:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

sexual orientation and recovery...

Hi, thought I would drop in and give an honest update and on my condition. I've been attending AA meetings. I listen and get a lot out of it.

I'm also now in professional therapy dealing with some sexual orientation issues, with fancy names like ego-dystonic sexual orientation disorder. That's a lot of fun, as I'm sure you can imagine. But my wife is 100% supportive, and I thank God for that.

Somehow I am staying sober, and I have a lot of issues to work through. I'm being told I was self medicating a mental disorder.

But AA is also a lot of help. It's not diving into the specific mental issues that I am suffering from, but it is a great place for fellowship and warning.

I'm glad to be sober and posting today, and look forward to sorting these issues out. And on the gratitude front, I have the most amazing wife that has ever been. She is my best friend and I could not do this without her. I'm not sure what I did to deserve her, but I am full of gratitude that she is by my side today.
Old 02-15-2020, 08:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I had to Google that one. I can imagine that would cause a lot of stress in your life. I’m glad you have a supportive wife, and can move forward in facing this in a healthy manner. That takes a lot of courage.
Old 02-15-2020, 08:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DaisyBelle7 View Post
I had to Google that one. I can imagine that would cause a lot of stress in your life. I’m glad you have a supportive wife, and can move forward in facing this in a healthy manner. That takes a lot of courage.
Thank you. My health and the well being of my family is my focus right now. And for the first time in my life I feel like I am taking this seriously. It is humbling. And also for the first time, I admit that I cannot do this alone.
Old 02-15-2020, 08:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I had to google it also!!! I am happy you have an amazing wife. I wish you the best of luck in your journey.
Old 02-15-2020, 08:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi,
I, too,had to look that term up. I’m understanding it to being attracted to the same sex, and having great anxiety and stress over these feelings. The Therapy would be to help deal with your anxiety??

Most likely a great majority of us here have self-medicated, for as many reasons as there are us! Why we drink ?? But, we sure did.

You’ll find lots of support here. Welcome!

Bobbi
Old 02-15-2020, 09:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Your message makes me feel like a million bucks.

Welcome, my friend.

We love you already.
Old 02-15-2020, 09:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad to hear from you Jamier and to hear you're doing well on all counts

D
Old 02-16-2020, 07:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for the support. I went to an 11:00 High Nooners and again a 5:30 Happy Hour meeting today. I am trying to work the steps this time, and it is indeed a humbling experience. I haven't mentioned the orientation thing during a meeting so far, it's probably not the thing to talk about there.

Anyway, I'm trying to approach this is a humble way this time and work out what I need to work out. Thanks for listening. This space feels safer than a live meeting.

I'm washing the dishes each night and trying to make sure I bring enough to the table in this marriage. It's not easy, but I'm OK with that. It's worth it.
Old 02-16-2020, 09:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Good to see you back and WOW, you are a super nice guy when you're sober.

Stay on course mate 👍😎
Old 02-16-2020, 11:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Maybe you are bi sexual mate?
theres swinging web sites out there that are very open minded on all aspects of sex.
it really shouldn’t be a problem, it’s society’s rules that make it a problem and a bit taboo but I do feel like things are changing.
There’s gay , bi , bi curious and straight in these web sites along with all other sorts of fetishes. It could help you feel not alone and there’s a world of different people on this planet so there’s no normal.
well done being free from booze .
Old 02-17-2020, 09:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by miko67 View Post
Maybe you are bi sexual mate?
theres swinging web sites out there that are very open minded on all aspects of sex.
it really shouldn’t be a problem, it’s society’s rules that make it a problem and a bit taboo but I do feel like things are changing.
There’s gay , bi , bi curious and straight in these web sites along with all other sorts of fetishes. It could help you feel not alone and there’s a world of different people on this planet so there’s no normal.
well done being free from booze .
Thanks for the suggestions, but I am still trying to sort things out in my brain. I'm not looking for action, just trying to be a good husband and raise my two boys. I'm taking a holistic approach this time.. therapy, AA meetings each day, reading aloud the literature with my wife.

It's not easy. I'm definitely in pain this time. Minute by minute and hour by hour. God bless.