Notices

11 months sober + 4 weeks smoke free

Old 02-14-2020, 01:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

11 months sober + 4 weeks smoke free

Hey guys,

Just checking in. Temptation was rife for a few days straight this week. I am moving out tomorrow with my closest friend (I'm 29) and I think I've been repressing alot of the stress and anxiety I'm feeling around it. I am looking forward to it too though - will be nice to have some independence. It's much closer to work too and a 5 minute walk from the cinema (my favourite 'me time' thing to do. Oh and the gym which I have been a member of since June is 5 minutes away too, so no excuses for not making the effort to go (I've only been once since June). I am 4 weeks cigarette free too so I'm proud of myself for not giving into temptation.

Gray
X
Old 02-14-2020, 02:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well done!
Old 02-14-2020, 02:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats!

I also need to get to the no smoking section!
Old 02-14-2020, 02:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I relapsed on the smokes yesterday GrayJ. Stress.

I've been struggling, and after 35 days picked up. I saw respiratory doctor yesterday and she's referred me to a smoking cessation counsellor. I need the support, accountability. It'll kill me.

Congratulations to you on both counts. Hang in with the quit smokes, I feel so disappointed in myself. It's insidious.

Hope to see you in the no smoking section kk1k5x. I'm heading back, I've got to stop this thing.
Old 02-14-2020, 02:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congrats GrayJ, both on being drink free and smoke free.

Steely - does your country operate the same smoking cessation scheme we have here in the UK. Anyone wanting to quit smoking can visit a stop smoking counsellor and can get free or reduced price smoking cessation aids such as nicotine replacement products or medication.

Is there a no smoking section at this board? If there is can you post a link. I've not seen one but your comments and kk1k5x's might just be a tongue-in-cheek joke...
Old 02-14-2020, 04:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well done GrayJ, what a year it's been huh?
Old 02-14-2020, 05:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

sounds like things are coming together GrayJ - congrats

D
Old 02-14-2020, 06:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I've vaped for 7 years. I still use, gasp, nicotine. I have no intention of stopping. I started smoking at 9 years old. It's hard to put into words how much better I feel now. I breath so deep and clean and unobstructed. It's really great after decades of smoking. I enjoy vaping and the thought of a cigarette and breathing like that again hurts.

Nicotine itself isn't as bad as the media leads us to believe. It can kill you in a high dose but so can chocolate! At least in America it's like people take these ideas the media puts out and run with them. Nicotine isn't the best chemical to put in your in your body, yeah, neither is the caffeine yet millions down coffee from Starbucks or dunk n donuts everyday.

It's not the nicotine that kills smokers. The damage comes from inhaling smoke. Vaping is similar to breathing in shower steam while smoking is more like a campfire.

The media has done an incredible job demonizing vaping. There are reputable vape shops all over that sell safe products. They take the business seriously. They card and don't sell to children. Its these gas station products, ciga-likes, juul, and what not that get in the hands of children and mess it up for the rest of us. Then there is the THC vapes and black market products. No one is getting sick from reputable products. There are roughly 10 million people using these products in America and have been for years and now a relative handful of strange cases pop up and it's a crisis. While half a million die per year from cigarette smoking and no one is talking about bans on them. Kinda strange. The real crisis is politicians counting on cigarette tax revenue that is drying up quicker than they budgeted for.

Many people go on to quit vaping. You can step down the nicotine levels all the way to 0. I enjoy it and don't see a compelling reason to stop (unlike my drinking !)Yeah I'm still addicted to nicotine, caffeine as well. Gotta have my morning black coffee too. If people were breathing in burning plant material to get their caffeine this would also cause health problems.