Notices

Getting Angry

Old 02-11-2020, 09:36 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

Al I don't know why I became an angry drinker. I wasn't in the beginning, but I certainly was by the end.

I think like Carl I was angry with myself - but I also carried a lot of resentments too,

I was down on myself, while also being down on those I felt were down on me.

An egomaniac with an inferiority complex, as they say.

D
Old 02-11-2020, 10:56 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Does it go away when you stop drinking ?

My experience was that no, it didn't.

I stayed sober plenty of times, for up to 6 months at a time, all the emotions didn't go anywhere. Anger was only one of dozens.

Which in time, lead me back to a drink, time after time after demoralising time.

So, at 5 1/2 years sober this time, what changed ?

I had to learn new skills and new ways to deal with them.

Just putting the plug in the jug, achieved very little.

I just got a few months relief from hangovers, which is not to be sneezed at, but still, it was never going to be enough and it took me quite a few hard knocks to finally learn my lesson.
Old 02-11-2020, 11:59 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
The Little Alcoholic Monstress That Could

Cityboy really hit the nail on the head!
Old 02-12-2020, 12:10 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I personally was never angry when I drank. At least not at anyone else but myself after the fact. Alcohol always made me calm, relaxed, and happy and gave me a cozy feeling like I was in a safe place even though when I drank I was never in any real danger except to myself. And adding cocaine to the mix made me even more happy and friendly and talkative and even uninhibited to where I would be dancing and singing out loud to songs and just having a blast and enjoying myself.

But alcohol has different effects on people and some people have mentioned that even certain spirits/alcohols would make them angry. For instance I knew people that would tell me, "Oh I can't do tequila because it make me mean and want to cuss people out loud." Or, "I wish I could do whiskey but it makes me want to fight or destroy things."

I can definitely say that suffering from depression and anxiety and other conditions myself that alcohol definitely would amplify those conditions afterwards and then I would be angry at myself and beat myself up (not literally) asking myself why, why, why do I do this to myself and have so much anger towards myself for drinking. And then I would repeat the cycle again and drink more to feel better.

I have seen all sorts of people get angry when drinking alcohol to girls trying to stab their boyfriends with a knife after drinking way too much to guys punching holes in walls from anger when drinking too much. So many things I have seen.

But I would say that no matter what alcohol makes us do, in the end it is not good for us. For me and I am sure for everybody here, since the reason we are all here is to get sober, I just need to find other ways to deal with emotion without alcohol which is why I am trying to remain sober.