Notices

Slipped back into the madness

Old 02-12-2020, 06:16 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by noaddedsugar View Post
I dont know why why I do this to myself when I know I am so much happier sober...
Watching alcoholics fall off the wagon is something I don't understand either. At one time, I thought I did, and I thought I knew why they did, and I thought I could explain it to them, but I can't.

Keep trying. I have to hope there is a way, and I have to believe there is a way. I believe you can do it, and since this thing is as elusive that it is to find, I think it's a thing you have to find yourself. In looking back on my recovery, I'm not sure how I found it. One day, I just knew I had it. It was unexpected.

I've often talked about the importance of commitment, and I still think it is the key. The problem is knowing what commitment feels like, and I didn't know what it felt like until I actually did it. I'm not saying you haven't done this. I'm just saying it's hard to know when you are actually "all in." This is not a personality flaw. It's just something that takes some doing.

Also in looking back before I turned the corner, I remember doing a lot of fumbling. Lord knows I wanted to be sober, but I fumbled for a long time. Whether a person is playing football or trying to get sober, beginners are going to fumble. I still fumble, just less than I used to, and I don't seem to fumble the sobriety ball. My goal is just to make it to the finish line, and crawl there if I have to.
Old 02-12-2020, 08:37 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hang in there! Just keep going putting one foot in front of the other. Take care of yourself and make "not drinking" a priority.