Notices

Dr. Bob's House

Old 02-09-2020, 09:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile Dr. Bob's House

Hi my dear SR Family,

I just got back from Ohio, where I spent four days with 19 other Miamian alcoholics and fellows. I was invited to attend the 48th Annual Atwood Mid-Winter Conference in Perrysville, Ohio.

I was feeling so scared of going that I almost cancelled, and then Mother Nature took care of that and my flight actually WAS cancelled (weather) and everyone was rebooked for a later flight and I was the only one booked for the next day, which would have not been worth it at that point. I was ready to cancel everything. I had been feeling pretty down and disconnected from everything, not as confident in myself and just blah. So, I pushed past what I really wanted to do and got myself switched to a flight that same day as everyone else. I am SO HAPPY I DID.

This was my weekend:
-Landed in Cleveland to a winter wonderland and woke up to more snow and my fellows making snow angels, I joined them and this quickly escalated into a "every man for himself" snowball war, which ended up lasting the entire duration of the trip.
-I went to eat at a Polish restaurant that had the BEST chicken paprikash (something my dear grandmother would make for us, I have not had it again since she passed although I try to recreate it). And pie, that was incredible too.
-I went to Dr. Bob's home and said the 3rd Step Prayer with a newcomer and everyone else as a group at the bed that Dr. Bob himself said it for the first time, and it was so spiritually powerful that I was brought to tears.
-I was part of a third step meeting in a van on the way to our conference, and then we each told our stories and everyone listened and shared.
-I got to the conference and heard 4 of the most amazing speakers I have ever heard, they had God shining through them and lived in constant connection, service to the newcomer and gratitude.
-I went hiking with my (now) friends and we sledded, marched through beautifully breathtaking snowy paths, I could not stop smiling at the world around me made better by the laughs of my friends having the very same experience I was having.
-Fellowshipping all weekend long by playing games, having food, laughing and joking, sitting in saunas and going to meetings.
-Ran outside with my friends in our bathing suits (which was really hilarious to the Ohio natives) and took funny pictures to send back to Miami.
-Got close to my roommate and related to each others stories so deeply, it sparked a few deep and meaningful private conversations in our room, which I loved and appreciated.
-Had delicious coffee and cookies all weekend. All weekend!
-Had a spiritual experience and stayed present and aware of the beauty in my life all weekend.

*This was the result of pushing myself out of my comfort zone, of not listening to my ego, of having a clearer and better understanding of what is fundamentally better for me as I work my recovery program more and more. I am changed from this experience, better for having gone and so filled with joy and gratitude at the blessing of this new life as a result of choosing sobriety.

I love you all,
Nic.
Old 02-09-2020, 10:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I need to get out more!! It sounds like you had a great time. We all need to push ourselves out of our comfort zones sometimes. Thanks for sharing your adventures.
Old 02-10-2020, 12:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Awesome 😃

Great stuff Niclin

Hang onto those treasured recovery moments, that's the real thing right there 👍
Old 02-10-2020, 06:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Holy Crap! You are really into this recovery thing (this is a complement).
Old 02-10-2020, 09:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sounds like an extremely valuable outing. Well done on your part.
Old 02-10-2020, 01:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

That sounds so interesting NicLin. I don't attend AA any longer, but fair dinkum, would have really loved to see his house, and where he prayed. The 3rd Step.

Snow fights too. We don't have much snow in Australia.

I used to attend AA meetings years ago, but....

When I think about the 12 Steps they have a lot in common with much of modern day psychology's take on addiction. Day at a time = Mindfulness. Being in the present, that is. Some stuff still doesn't gel with me, but that's just me.

Whatever it takes.

Onya' Dr Bob.
Old 02-10-2020, 04:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

That all sounds amazing! I'm so glad you got to go and had such a wonderous time.
And seeing Dr. Bob's very bed. Wow. I would have cried, too.
I'm glad you had such an uplifting trip.
Old 02-10-2020, 08:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone, it was such a magical weekend and I really was able to stay present.

The gifts we get....