SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Hi, just new here (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/445611-hi-just-new-here.html)

Steely 02-13-2020 02:18 AM

Way to go mikoss. :You_Rock_

So glad to hear that you did not feel the need to go to the doctor and you were able to manage. You are getting there mikoss. Yay!

I sometimes think those dreams might be designed to reinforce just how much we don't want to ever take that route again. They show us how horrible it can be without us actually engaging in the behaviour. It was only a dream. :)

And boy, do I ever know that feeling of relief when I find it was only a dream.

Too well done mikoss. :scoregood

mikoss 02-13-2020 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by Sammy1980 (Post 7382099)
Keep reminding your friends that you are no longer doing these things and really mean it when you say it. People feel better in groups with their addictions because they feel if all their friends are doing it then it isn't to bad. When you stop they start thinking about their own addiction. Keep going Mikoss

Exactly. It is very easy to get carried away with alcohol and substances when in a group because it feels safer and it becomes more social when doing drugs and alcohol together in a group but just as dangerous or even more dangerous amongst a group of friends.

I basically have locked myself in my house since my last relapse incident last Friday. And I have tried to avoid any friends coming over that could cause me to be tempted to relapse unless they are bringing me some soup or food they prepared or some art supplies to paint or draw or a jigsaw puzzle or some books or magazines to read to keep me busy or something. I just want to avoid friends coming over to drink booze and do cocaine or other drugs and for me to end up in that rabbit hole again of liquor and drugs. And I try to make that clear to my friends that I don't want to do that anymore and want something better in my life away from all of that.

mikoss 02-13-2020 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by Steely (Post 7382104)
Way to go mikoss. :You_Rock_

So glad to hear that you did not feel the need to go to the doctor and you were able to manage. You are getting there mikoss. Yay!

I sometimes think those dreams might be designed to reinforce just how much we don't want to ever take that route again. They show us how horrible it can be without us actually engaging in the behaviour. It was only a dream. :)

And boy, do I ever know that feeling of relief when I find it was only a dream.

Too well done mikoss. :scoregood

Thank you so much Steely.

Yes, the dreams/nightmares I have been having are very scary when I see myself drinking in them or doing substances. And the last one I had was terrible and involved drinking. And then waking up and feeling anxious and scared and trouble breathing.

I already suffer from depression, anxiety, OCD, probably PTSD and ADD and other conditions but the panic attacks are bad or the anxiety when I wake up. I have gotten to the point where I cannot even sleep in the dark. It is too scary. So I sleep with a night lamp on. And a humidifier so that the sound of the humidifier helps calm me to sleep or a fan. Just anything that helps.