Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

I hate the fact I can’t drink in moderation and have to quit completely

Notices

I hate the fact I can’t drink in moderation and have to quit completely

Old 02-06-2020, 05:59 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Drinking in moderation never did anything for me.
In fact, anytime I tried, it was hell. What's the point? I'll feel worse than not drinking at all.

What was "fun" was getting ****faced. But ya know, the appeal of that wears off quickly because I'm an idiot when I'm in that state and I'm horribly sick when I come down from it.
Old 02-06-2020, 06:02 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

A very common and old desire indeed.

it is not surprising that our drinking careers have been charaterized by countless vain attempts to prove we could drink like other people. The idea that somehow, someday he will control and enjoy his liquor drinking is the great obsession of every abnormal drinker. The persistence of this illusion is astonishing. Many pursue it into the gates of insanity or death.

Linked with the permission of Alcoholics Anonymous World Services, Inc.
Old 02-06-2020, 06:55 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I tried moderation for years, but just kept getting worse, and I wasn't hot on quitting altogether either, but once I did, I started to adapt after I got through the heavy cravings. Now I don't miss it at all. I consider drinking a waste of time and money, and if I thought I could actually drink like a normie, I'd still feel like it was a waste of time and money. Alcohol is a very unnecessary thing to consume. It has zero food value, but just empty calories. But worse than that, it destroys your body's organs and your soul.
Old 02-07-2020, 08:08 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Al34 View Post
i know i need to quit. And 🤞 tomorrow I will.
How is today going? Have you made the choice to quit?
Old 02-07-2020, 08:10 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I wish I could drink like a normie too. But I can't.
Old 02-07-2020, 10:20 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

When someone first told me to change "I can't drink" to "I GET to [insert anything else here]" my mind was blown. Then I thought, "OMG. That is the best thing I've ever heard!" And sober life began to seem absolutely hopeful and promising, rewarding and the opposite of punishing.
Old 02-07-2020, 12:42 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Trying to drink in moderation would just create a scenario where I am constantly thinking about drinking. Abstinence gives me freedom from that mindset. Sure, I have cravings, but I can lean into those and they almost leave as quickly as they come on. Luckily for me they generally only happen in the late afternoon or evening.
Old 02-07-2020, 02:09 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I thought I would also but I actually dont. I dont miss that buzz anymore. It really did not feel all that good. YUCK!
Old 02-07-2020, 02:52 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Accepting you’re an alcoholic is the greatest gift you can give yourself in my experience. Living as a recovered alcoholic is an amazing gift and opens up an inner peace and perspective on life that life as a non-alcoholic never could in my experience unless one faced their own mortality through another means which revolutionised their way of loving/outlook on life.

Grateful to be sober, grateful to be an alcoholic 🙏
Old 02-07-2020, 03:10 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I used to want to be a normal drinker, but after being sober for a while, I'm now happy with my sober life and wouldn't go back to drinking.