Notices

Days we didn’t expect - WEEKENDERS 07 - 10th February 2020

Old 02-07-2020, 11:14 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Oh I wondered why everything went wide and wouldn’t fit on the page lol, I thought my phone was having a hissy fit lol.
Such a gorgeous photo ❤️
Old 02-08-2020, 01:23 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Beautiful pup snoozy!
You can see he was well loved.
One of my favorite quotes is:
Dogs are a big part of our world but we ARE their world.
Old 02-08-2020, 04:40 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Hi Mags and fellow weekenders
Count me in.
Will be checking in from time to time as I push through the weekend.

dlb
Old 02-08-2020, 05:01 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Willow68 View Post
What a gorgeous photo Snoozy ❤️

Now I want a chiko roll too lol! Haven’t had one in ages

jr I thought the tapestry stuff was cross stitch. Mum used to do it
Originally Posted by Mags1 View Post
Snoozy that’s a beautiful photo of Lewis xx
Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I had to change the size Snooz - it was affecting the margins of the thread for everyone else.

I changed it to 640x 480.

D

Thanks Dee, Mags is trying to teach me , but i must be being a bit thick. Ill get it eventually.
Old 02-08-2020, 08:38 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Lewis was a very handsome boy. Beautiful photo ❤️

Welcome, dontlookbacchus!
Old 02-08-2020, 10:21 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

I import and re-size Pix on postimage. The Pic below features 2 Oldies But Goodies. One is a 1960 Cadillac seen after Lunch a few Days ago in the High Desert. Beyond-perfect, restored condition. My Pic composition was limited since I was backed-up to within ~1" away from an impressive Barrel Cactus by a Fence.

The other is a 1950 Model. Who, coincidentally, was hired at the tender age of 16 to sit on Car Fenders at the legendary Detroit Auto Show. Saddle Shoes and all.

Away now to the local, ritzy Dog Park in this sunny 75 F [24 C] Degree Weather. We'll be keeping Lewis and you in our thoughts, Snoozy.

A lil Desert Music, Maestro. We've seen a few Rides as nice as in this Music Vid down here around Palm Springs. Lotsa Money for Restoration. No Humidity to feed rust.

~ 'My Head's In Mississippi' ~ ZZ Top ~

Old 02-08-2020, 10:51 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Thats 1 mean caddy mesa!

Love me some ZZ Top too
Old 02-08-2020, 12:32 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

That 50s model looks in fine shape too Mesa
Old 02-08-2020, 01:59 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

It’s a hot and humid Sunday here. I’m about to head out but wanted to pop in and say hi
Old 02-08-2020, 02:52 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  
saoutchik

What a splendid looking chap Lewis!

Love the Caddy pic MesaMan, I prefer the more restrained style of the early 60's models like the one in your photo. We see very few of them in Britain, the ones we do occasionally see are mostly the '59 Eldorado's with the ginormous tail fins.

We have Lantana's near me - an Australian cafe which is rather nice.

There has not been much in the way of Angolan music on Weekenders so to rectify that here is Pongo displaying the finest lip curl since Billy Idol.

https://youtu.be/AkJ_dWP50Pw
Old 02-08-2020, 03:01 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Hi Weekenders. I'm late to the party this week but I'm in!

I have lots to be grateful for already this weekend. I've seen the family, done some work to finish off a tricky project and watched some great TV on Prime.

Apparently we have a storm on the way here tonight and I can hear the wind picking up this evening. I never like being trapped in the house when the weather is bad - I much prefer to get out and about, so tomorrow might be frustrating.

Thoughts to you Snoozy on your loss and best wishes to all. Forwards.
Old 02-08-2020, 03:20 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

There was a 60's Caddy in front of me when I was doing a sanity drive in the hills recently. Fully restored- all chrome and chrome. The 4 occupants looked seriously like the stereotypical image of Florida retirees. It was a 60mph road and they were doing 30mph. Our roads are not all that good in parts- and the Caddy was bouncing up and down like it was riding on a plate of jelly. A car to admire (not to own) but not to get stuck behind.
Old 02-08-2020, 03:43 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PhoenixJ View Post
There was a 60's Caddy in front of me when I was doing a sanity drive in the hills recently. Fully restored- all chrome and chrome. The 4 occupants looked seriously like the stereotypical image of Florida retirees. It was a 60mph road and they were doing 30mph. Our roads are not all that good in parts- and the Caddy was bouncing up and down like it was riding on a plate of jelly. A car to admire (not to own) but not to get stuck behind.
If it was Florida retirees it was probably just a golf cart made out to look like a 60s caddy.
Old 02-08-2020, 05:23 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Busy day, feel like going to bed at 8:30. Glad I’m getting rest and not broke sleep. Waking up dying of thirst and trying to put together the shameful events, unable to rest.... are now a thing of my past. I love my sleep too much now
Old 02-08-2020, 07:22 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Love the photo Mesa.

i know what you mean PJ when your sanity drive turns into an insanity drive

mariposa, i love my sleep too. Im so good at it lately, i could win the sleeping olympics.

have a good Sunday everyone

xx
Old 02-08-2020, 10:28 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Morning all,

The wind is already howling around the house in a scary way. I hope everyone stays safe. I hate to feel trapped indoors but so be it.

I have been looking round for a new car for a while. Yesterday I found one I really liked but decided to just step back and think about it for the rest of the day. A few hours later it was sold. Really disappointed, it was a very unusual colour, fickle I know but hey.

Snoozy I hope you are baring up, what a gorgeous boy. As you know I am going to be in the same situation very soon but not even coping with the thought never mind the reality. I actually don't feel strong enough to say goodbye. I also fear it will trigger me to relapse as a coping mechanism.

Manta I hope you are okay.

Bim I miss you.

Old 02-09-2020, 12:02 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Morning Weekenders.

Good to see you Kaily, I'm sure another car will present itself, they usually do.

It is a bit blowy outside but after all the dire warnings it doesn't seem too bad in London at least.
Old 02-09-2020, 12:02 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning Weekenders

MesaMan, beautiful cars, they look loved and cared for.

Did anyone in the U.K. see the Super Snow Moon last night? Sadly we had the cloud and storms so it was well hidden. I hear you could see it down south though.

We’re venturing to the in-laws in a couple of hours. Then this afternoon I will continue reading a good psychological murder mystery book I started yesterday. I’m hoping it’s as good as it promises to be.

Forwards, I used to be like yourself about being forced to stay in because of the weather. Is there something you can read or watch to help pass the time? Or a project to discover?

PJ, my husband gets annoyed being behind ‘Sunday drivers’ as we call them here. Me, I don’t mind unless I’m in a hurry to get somewhere.

Have a good day. x
Old 02-09-2020, 12:16 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Yes I saw it Mags, it was beaming like a beacon in the sky.
Old 02-09-2020, 03:05 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Happy Sunday, Weekenders.

I hope you Londoners weathered the windstorm well enough. I wonder whether that was the same weather system that had spawned tornadoes in the southeast U.S. earlier in the week, then made its way through the U.S. northeast where I am, with brisk winds midweek until Friday. Jr the armchair meteorologist tentatively answers his own question: Yes, the timing is right for New England's winds of a few days ago to have reached Olde England Saturday.

In jr channeling jr sr? That is to say, jr67, the poster of this post, is a junior (jr) to his father (this is where the "jr" in jr67's SR moniker (SR being short for Sober Recovery) came from).

If jr67's true name were Will Kane (which it is not), then the full rendition of it, as shown on jr's birth certificate, would actually be Will Kane, Jr., because jr's parents named jr for jr's father, who, in this example, would have been Will Kane, Senior, or "Sr." (But of course the "senior" part would not be on Dad's birth certificate because in 1917 jr's grandparents did not foresee that 35 years later their son, "Will Kane" in this pseudonymical example, would give birth (well, "Will Kane's" wife would give birth) to a son whom Will Kane and said wife (she would be named Amy in this example, and she would be played by Grace Kelly, the future Princess Grace of Monaco) would decide to name Will Kane, Jr.)

Quiz: Back to the question:

Q1. Is jr channeling jr sr here on SR, when jr plays the armchair meteorologist "predicting," in retrospect, that London's windstorm of yesterday is the same windstorm that swept through Boston and environs several days ago?

A1. Yes, because jr's father, jr67, senior, (WIll Kane, Sr. in our example), was trained as a meteorologist for the U.S. Army Air Corps during World War II. (This was before the air corps was separated into its own branch of the U.S. military, the Air Force, in 1947.)

So, during WWII, jr, sr was stationed for about 2 years on a military base in mid- to northern Greenland, where their primary function was to predict the weather for Europe, to help schedule bombing runs and other military exercises. Jr sr had signed up to be trained as a cryptologist, to work in decoding Axis forces' coded communications, but in war, as in life, you can't always get what you want, so a meteorologist was what he became for the duration of the war. (While never trained as a cryptologist, he labored over crossword puzzles and other word puzzles, including cryptograms, his entire life, a pastime passed on to "Will Kane", Jr. In fact the NY Times' Sunday edition, including the Sunday crossword, is due to be dropped off on jr's porch any time now, early on Sunday morning, and the fact that it includes the hard copy of the crossword puzzle is the main reason jr subscribes to it, and does not rely solely on the on-line version of the newspaper.)

Fact: Jr has fallen behind in solving the Sunday puzzle the past few weeks because he has chosen to spend so much time on his SR adventure, observing, learning from, leaning on, and communing with the denizens of SobeRlandia. This includes jr himself, meaning the ethanol-free jr, a version of himself that the core jr has not had the opportunity to spend much time with since before 1967.

It's not the weather but another prediction jr will make here and now:

"Will Kane" Jr. (i.e., jr67) will not get too far with today's Sunday puzzle, either, because Will Kane the SR explorer has also fallen behind on a couple of workywork projects (the ones that pay the bills) for the same reason he has not kept up with his crossword puzzles, and shortly after Will Kane posts this post, let's say within an hour thereafter (to give Will Kane a time limit), this Will Kane (i.e. jr67) must spend the morning and afternoon at workywork, before a planned multi-birthday dinner party celebration this evening.

As you seen, gentle reader, in this post jr has been trying on the screen name "Will Kane" for size, in deference to the star of jr's fave movie. The jr jury is still out on whether jr67 will decide to change his SR sobriquet to Will Kane, but if you see said WK popping up in the coming days, it'll most likely be me, and now you know why.