Notices

This last episode was horrible.

Old 02-05-2020, 03:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

This last episode was horrible.

I'll try to keep this as short as can be. If you were concerned about me, I appreciate it, I was concerned about me this last go round. I want to end this post on a high note so I'll start with the bad stuff. I spiraled out of control over a family dispute. That in combination with a job interview that went ka-put, my brain was like a hand grenade. So I drank.....and drank...and drank. And when it came time to pay the piper it was bad. I am usually able to recover in 24 hours. This last time took me 4 days to get back to normal. I thought seizure, heart attack and stroke were all on the table. Shakes and weakness were almost uncontrollable. Fear of impending doom came and went. The whole thing left me with a healthy dose of fear of alcohol.

Now the so called good news, I made it out alive and got myself stabilized. But something happened this time and I can't put my finger on it. My view towards alcohol changed. I absolutely don't feel I am depriving myself of anything, and I view it as what it is I guess, which is poison. Now, I did not have this change of thought as a conscious decision, I didn't "flip a switch", I just woke up one of those days and felt different. Maybe my higher power performed some type of devine intervention. Don't know.

Lastly, I'm guessing some of you may ask what I may add to assist in my sobriety, like AA. Well, I thought about that. I came to believe strongly in a higher power a few years ago, and I think I am going to find a church to attend. THere are plenty around where I live that are my denomination? (not even sure what the right word is here, not a religious person).

Anyway, I HAD to go radio silent for awhile and get my head out of my rear end. Damn ridiculous and shameful. But here I am. Hope all of you are well. Jeff.
Old 02-05-2020, 03:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you made it back Jeff.
Did you make it to see your therapist last week?

D
Old 02-05-2020, 03:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Jeff, I think the important element here is that you've picked yourself up with a turn around in belief and you are back on track. Kudos to you!
Old 02-05-2020, 04:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

All good here thanks, Jeff. That is great that you are clear that alcohol really does nothing for us at all.
Old 02-05-2020, 04:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well done Jeff.

Another hiding from booze can sometimes be exactly what is needed to spur us into some more action.

AA worked for me, I soooo did not want to go either.

All I can say is I am sooo very glad I swallowed my pride and did it.
Old 02-05-2020, 04:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I'm glad you made it back Jeff.
Did you make it to see your therapist last week?

D
Hi Dee, I did not. But I am going this Friday at 10AM.
Old 02-05-2020, 04:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
not a greeter

I’m glad you’ve made it back and have an appointment with your therapist. Add in whatever you need to be it church or meetings or even something else. Years ago I found sobriety on my yoga mat for example.
Old 02-05-2020, 04:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's good to see you, Jeff. It sounds like you went through a tough few days. I'm glad you're planning to see your therapist on Friday, and know that we are here for you, always.
Old 02-05-2020, 04:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Sending you hugs and prayers for peace of mind.
Old 02-05-2020, 05:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It just gets worse, my friend.
You don't want to wake up one morning, go to the emergency room, and find out you have liver cirrhosis.
Old 02-05-2020, 05:41 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Sounds scary. Glad you made it out alive.
Old 02-05-2020, 07:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
ZIP

You've found the sober path. Don't divert.
Another such episode could have severe consequences.
I went AF after decades of chronic abuse. Went straight to my doctor and had a battery of tests done to make sure hadn't completely corroded my insides. I was fortunate. Now I stay AF--Permanently.
Old 02-05-2020, 08:39 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

It’s so good to see you feeling better. I recently had a very different view develop on the way I see alcohol. It’s straight up poison that messes with our brains along with the temporary physical high. Not worth it. We here for you and thank you for the update. 🤗
Old 02-05-2020, 08:47 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Glad you made it back. While you were away, I learned that a past workmate of mine is in the hospital on a ventilator with failing kidneys due to a recent extended binge. He was never that heavy of a drinker that i knew of at least, but since he retired he apparently spiraled down as his job was his whole life. He hasn't even been gone for a full calendar year and the docs give him about a 50-50 chance of making it through.

Point being, we don't get unlimited chances at this. I hope you seize the opportunity you've been given.
Old 02-05-2020, 09:13 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Dude!!!

Welcome back. I can't say anything more than everyone else has said. You can do this.
Old 02-05-2020, 11:06 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome back Jeff!
Old 02-06-2020, 02:08 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Good to see you back Jeff.
Old 02-06-2020, 04:07 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I know that after a binge I always thought I'd had some life changing feeling or realization that would put me down the sober path. But I always ended up in the same place... drinking. Those realizations were short lived but I felt this time was different. It really never was.
Old 02-06-2020, 04:13 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Glad you are back Jeff
Old 02-06-2020, 04:34 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

After the first of the year I always get a physical, mine was last week. While there we did a full blood panel. Got the results next day: kidney and liver function "slightly" (and he emphasized slightly) elevated. We are having some issues with my blood pressure, so trying a new combination of meds. But overall things are good thankfully.