Notices

This last episode was horrible.

Old 02-07-2020, 10:29 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I think a refusal to change, when the alternative is clearly self destruction, goes above and beyond stubborn Jeff.

Its a kind of fear - paralysing and mind numbing.

You can always use your stubborness for good, instead of evil

D

Great advice here Jeff.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

It’s time for change , you deserve a great life, a happy life.

You are NEVER going to have that with alcohol.

Xx
Old 02-08-2020, 06:42 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Jeff, I may have to back out a little from trying to help you, right now. I gotta echo Dee's last post. I also just bumped a couple things from your 2015 thread about getting serious about quitting.

I'm always one to say there is hope while there is still life, but we don't get infinite chances. IRL I would feel like continuing to support and discuss the same things over and over with someone who clearly doesn't want, isn't ready, or has some reason not to quit is bad for me - and them.

Like with a friend the other day, I care about you and you have a special place in my heart since we've been on this forum about the same time. Yet like the friend who told me the other day that she had a big decision to make about whether to quit (again - she had over a yr sober from when I first got to know her), "but using is just so fun." It is actually the opposite of it for her right now - she's a flat out mess- but she won't give it up.

I hope that won't be you. You CAN do this - you just have to.
Old 02-08-2020, 11:35 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Like you, I picked up after 5 years Jeff. I tried a lot of externals to get me sober. They all helped, but I don't use them any longer. I only use SR now, and am doing really well. As well as 59 days can give.

Good you are seeing a therapist, and good you are considering your options. I think giving things consideration is doing something. And so long as not carried on indefinitely.

Whatever keeps you sober Jeff. Do it.
Old 02-08-2020, 12:28 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

August, I always appreciate your advice and input. But yes, you have to do what is right for you.
Old 02-08-2020, 12:28 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Another thing, addiction/alcoholism is progressive, I learned this the hard way myself
Old 02-08-2020, 12:48 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

That's what I found too, Reid.

The smallest amount really messes me up. Used to take false pride in being able to drink blokes under the table. No longer. One drink...goodnight, Irene.

It is so much better being sober. It is quite fun, rewarding, to sort through life with my own good brain. I didn't believe in myself before, didn't think I had a good brain. Family told me otherwise, and I got to believe it.

I believe in myself now. I do! I no longer have to destroy myself. Sheee! That was a close call.
Old 02-08-2020, 04:04 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

I kind of hope this ends this thread, but I am going to state the obvious. You all have provided me with an abundance of information and advice. You've also shared your own successes, failures and journeys to sobriety. There is only on person who can make it happen for me, and that's me.

All of you know that.
Old 02-08-2020, 04:32 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

I was at the grocery today enjoying what used to be hell for me. Shopping and watching other people. I saw this guy come around the corner in front of me and I saw what I thought I would have looked like if I relapsed. I can tell by the way a person looks if they are drinking a lot. I'm sure you guys can too. I thought man, I don't want to return to those days. I used to see that person in the mirror every morning and I would say "You are killing yourself". So glad that I climbed out of that hole. I would have never ever did it without ALL of you people always being here. Thank you ALL!
Old 02-08-2020, 04:39 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  
Administrator

That's not going to stop people giving you advice, encouragement - and the occasional nudge, Jeff.

Everyone one of us wanted to wake up one morning with the job done - no more desire to drink, no need for psychotherapy or any massive changes in our life.

for me, it was a continuing process with a lot of hard work.

I know you're not scared of hard work Jeff - but you have to admit the problem, admit the solution....and pick up the shovel.

You can do it. Do it now.

D
Old 02-08-2020, 04:53 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SnoozyQ View Post

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

Xx
This is REALLY good advice. It has certainly applied to my life. I wish you the best.
Old 02-08-2020, 05:41 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

“The brain you are attempting to use to figure out how to get and stay sober, is the exact same brain that has gotten you drunk thousands of times.”
I’m quoting Derringer from an earlier entry because I thought it was excellent food for thought.