Notices

Drunk dreams/nightmares

Old 02-09-2020, 05:53 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I have had these recently, and they're so vivid. There's a bar I used to frequent near the city centre which is licensed to serve alcohol at 8 am, and I still dream that I'm anxiously waiting outside for it to open...it's horrible. I'm so relieved when I wake up.

As others have said, I think it's a normal part of recovery. The fact that it's a nightmare, i.e. it's an unpleasant dream, is a good thing and as it appears that my subconscious is registering alcohol is a bad thing. At last!
Old 02-09-2020, 09:33 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

With sleep and dreams/nightmares I know that when drinking alcohol we go into the deep sleep faster but only stay in it for a short amount of time after drinking alcohol and then go into the lighter state of sleep and in that state longer than the deep sleep which is why after drinking alcohol we feel like we didn't sleep well or get a good night's sleep. And I know with dreams they happen shortly before waking up and dreams are a collection of brief moments in our memory all put together which is why sometimes they don't make sense. But after stopping drinking I am not sure how this changes.

I know being a little over 48 hours sober that I had a pretty decent dream last night. The dream involved old friends and for some odd reason we were building a classic Mustang. We were discussing what engine to put in it and we were shaping and customizing a hood for it in a shop which I have never even done in my life or thought about it. And when I woke up I thought wow if I could only put drinking behind me and get better and maybe do something fun like that one day.

When I was drinking I did have a sad dream last week where I was on some kind of moveable couch/bed sort of thing and driven to my old work and I was saying hi to friends at work half asleep as if I was hungover or intoxicated on this bed thing. All I remember was being there to fill out paperwork for some tax forms or something. And then I was wheeled out of some back door and there I was telling my driver to stop at the nearest liquor store for a bottle. Just sad.

I hope I just have some better dreams in the future now that I am a little over 48 hours sober.