Notices

Day One of Sobriety

Old 02-05-2020, 07:43 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Parenting is SO much better sober. I have to work hard not to dwell on the regret that I didn't quit until my kids were teens. It's a miracle I didn't have a terrible auto accident with them in the car, frankly. That, alone, is reason to quit if you're a parent with a drinking problem.

In my case, drinking wasn't fun anymore. In fact, I really hadn't been fun for probably 20 or 25 years. It was just a habit and a need. I get so much more pleasure out of everyday life things, now.

I thought I'd feel a sense of loss from not drinking. In fact, the only sense of loss I feel is all the good things that were impossible due to drinking.

I never, ever want to go back to how I was before. It was awful compared to now.
Old 02-05-2020, 02:29 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, thank you to all who replied to my original post - I am shocked at how many people care so deeply about me, someone whom they've never met. I believe it is because we are all here to support each other; I make it a point to write a note of encouragement to a new post every day before I check my own (original) post or read replies to my post. Thank you again.

I'm almost done with day two, and I feel excellent; physically, emotionally, and spiritually. I slept quietly last night without drinking for the first time in months, and waking up without a headache and just the general shame of drinking the night before felt great. No withdrawals yet; staying hydrated and getting rest.

My workday is over, I don't even want a drink. I'm going to go pick up my kids without needing a drink beforehand or afterward, when I get home. I want to be sober (a long-term goal) more than I want to drink (a temporary urge). I am 100% confident I will make it through day #2 without drinking a drop of alcohol.

I'm not being overly optimistic; I know that I will want a drink tomorrow. I will want a drink the day after that, and I'm afraid the urges will get stronger the longer I go without a drink. But again, I have a long-term goal that is more important and hopefully more powerful than my fleeting urges. To resist such urges brings me (temporary) pride but I will feel truly proud when I can make it to 30 days, and then three months, and then a year, and so on. It's an ongoing battle, but I've made it two days without a drink. And I love how I feel.

I could not have done this without admitting my problem and looking for support from people like you, the reader(s). I hope you have a great day.
Old 02-05-2020, 02:44 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

That's a wonderful update, healthystep.