Notices

Brain fog

Old 02-02-2020, 07:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Brain fog

I have a couple mental health conditions including bipolar disorder (type 2), anxiety, OCD, and ADHD. I had the ADHD confirmed a few years ago because I swear I was losing my mind, I thought for sure I had early onset Alzheimers disease or something.
I am now on day 13 and my brain fog is BAD, like scary bad. My husband is very worried. I keep telling him it will get better because I assume that it will but I'm starting to get worried myself. My husband can tell me something and it can be minutes, hours, or days later, I won't recall the conversation or all the details at the very least.

I go in for another neuropsychiatric evaluation at the end of the month and I'm worried about how my symptoms will affect it. When can I expect this to get better? I certainly know that it should get better with time, right? What if I have done some permanent damage? I've been drinking a big bottle of rum or vodka weekly for the last 15 years amd drank before that, probably not so much. What do you think? I'm scared
Old 02-02-2020, 07:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Please do not worry about how your symptoms will affect your neuropsychiatric evaluation. The point of it is to find out what is going on with your mind and body. Be honest about all of your symptoms and deal with the results of the evaluation. There is no other choice. You are very early days Jen. This is definitely not the best you will feel. You will continue to heal and improve if you stay sober. Also, the docs you will see can do amazing things to help your cognitive state and abilities. You are nearly two weeks sober and I think there is cause for optimism. Leave your crystal ball in the closet. Your's doesn't work any better than mine.
Old 02-02-2020, 07:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I hope you get better red.

All I can say is worrying will help nothing. Try to focus on something positive. Like your sobriety, which seems to be coming along great.

Wish I could be more helpful
Old 02-02-2020, 07:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Jen

My first 6 weeks were pretty similar.

It goes away but much more gradually than we would like.

We tend to have very unrealistic expectations on how quickly we can get back to normal after years of drinking.

Early days, I'd have to think really hard to remember what I'd had for breakfast by the time it got to lunch.

Write important stuff down, make lists.

Practice things that are hard work, like reading a book, it can be improved on, but not if you just throw your hands in the air and declare it "too hard"
Old 02-02-2020, 12:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

It took 6 weeks for the first round of depression to lift for me. That whole time I was zoned out. After a year I was pretty well put back together as far as the hardware and then another year to unravel things.

I think that's pretty typical. You will notice improvement but it will take some time. A year from now you'll have a better idea of what was caused by the damage from drinking and what is something organic.
Old 02-02-2020, 01:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Brain fog is very common - but its not permanent - please try not to worry Jen

D
Old 02-02-2020, 03:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I thought I was the only one on this board that had all of that. I'm type II bipolar, and all of the rest. There is good advice above. Continue with your evaluation.
Old 02-02-2020, 04:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Coz

Hi Jen

I so understand the brain fog. I am really struggling to do things in the right order and am definitely not efficient as having to stop and try and think of what it is that I'm doing.

From my reading, this is normal and it does take months before it improves - so hang in there and just put it down to a 'normal' side effect. Probably great that you are getting neuro evaluation soon. At least you will know what's happening in there.

Try not to stress and keep up the great sobriety achievement!
Old 02-02-2020, 04:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I understand the brain fog, I’m newly sober from Adderall and the brain fog is hard. I’ve been diagnosed with ADD and I might get retested in the future. I’m hopping the brain fog lessons for us soon. Sending good vibes your way. We just need to be patient and continue to embrace sobriety
Old 02-02-2020, 04:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am going thru the brain fog as well. I had borrowed a tool from the neighbor and today I am searching the whole house and cant seem to find it to return it to him.

Then when I see him and apologize for the delay he says to me "You already gave it back to me 2 days ago, remember?" So it was very embarrassing to me. The brain fog it feels like there are portions of my brain that have been DELETED. Very scary stuff.

For the last 2 days in a row I have left my smartphone in the car ON THE CRADLE and forgotten to bring it inside with me. Then I went to kitchen and turned on the wrong burner so came back and saw my water for spaghetti was not even starting to boil yet.

Also had taken pack of pork chops and heated 2 of them but left the rest on the counter OVERNIGHT. I forgot to put the pack back in the refrigerator. Then later walked into the kitchen and FORGOT the reason WHY I had come there?

So you see....you are not alone. The good news is that with time the brain will restructure itself back to normal so no need to worry about these temporary troubles. But it is important to pay close attention because we dont want to make a mistake that will burn our house down or something really serious like that.
Old 02-02-2020, 06:36 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Originally Posted by Purina View Post
I am going thru the brain fog as well. I had borrowed a tool from the neighbor and today I am searching the whole house and cant seem to find it to return it to him.

Then when I see him and apologize for the delay he says to me "You already gave it back to me 2 days ago, remember?" So it was very embarrassing to me. The brain fog it feels like there are portions of my brain that have been DELETED. Very scary stuff.

For the last 2 days in a row I have left my smartphone in the car ON THE CRADLE and forgotten to bring it inside with me. Then I went to kitchen and turned on the wrong burner so came back and saw my water for spaghetti was not even starting to boil yet.

Also had taken pack of pork chops and heated 2 of them but left the rest on the counter OVERNIGHT. I forgot to put the pack back in the refrigerator. Then later walked into the kitchen and FORGOT the reason WHY I had come there?

So you see....you are not alone. The good news is that with time the brain will restructure itself back to normal so no need to worry about these temporary troubles. But it is important to pay close attention because we dont want to make a mistake that will burn our house down or something really serious like that.
During a PAWS episode, I ordered a burger at the drive-thru, drove thru without getting my food, got home and couldn't remember if I ate in that 5 minutes or not. I actually smelled my hands because I couldn't figure it out.

I survived. I'm just a regular old forgetful lady now.