Notices

I can’t stop

Old 02-02-2020, 04:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I can’t stop

I’ve tried everything but I’m a hopeless case
Old 02-02-2020, 04:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I tried for so many years, I really thought it was impossible for me too. I hope you manage to stop before the decision is taken out of your hands due to failing health, that's what happened to me because I think a part of me didn't believe I would ever get that bad. Despite hearing so many stories and seeing myself gradually decline. Even with all the right things in place it's down to you to stop xx
Old 02-02-2020, 04:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Mummyto2 View Post
Define "everything"?
Old 02-02-2020, 05:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I don't think you are hopeless, although I agree you may truly feel like you are. Also, "I tried everything," is seldom true, and I've said, "I've tried everything," myself thinking it was true, when what I did was tried a few things, or just one thing several times really hard. But intense effort isn't the same thing as trying everything.

You are not experiencing anything that most alcoholics who recover, haven't gone through before. Please keep trying, but go out of your way to try something new. It may be adopting a different attitude, or a different way of looking at the problem. Either way, you need to quit. I don't think you have done that yet.

As a starter, quit describing yourself as hopeless. I'm not going to accept that as true or false, but I totally believe it's a bad habit you have taken up. It's also a good way to justify giving up. This is not a good place from which to start recovery.
Old 02-02-2020, 06:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Mummy. I'm sorry you feel that way but it is not true. There is always hope and nobody could ever try everything. Impossible. Your AV screaming "victory" at you. Don't give into that. This afternoon, dump your supply. Can this be Day 1? How old are your kids? Do they still need you?
Old 02-02-2020, 07:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You are one I wonder about Mum. Sorry to hear you continue to choose to drink. Welcome back.
Old 02-02-2020, 07:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome back mummy. you can do it- just need to do more/different/extra etc. I would recommend keeping posting, on the daily support threads too. and a plan, day by day, minute by minute for each day. each day at a time. I know you post regularly when sober and then stop, as I do. I'm posting daily now but making sure I keep posting when I get the desire to drink. Leaving SR and not posting is a disaster for me.
Old 02-02-2020, 07:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Mummy, you are not hopeless and you mustn't give up because this disease is relentless. What have you tried? What else can you add to your recovery program to help you stop drinking and stay sober?
Old 02-02-2020, 07:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
soberfighterwriter

I'm happy to see that you have chosen to come back. There is always hope. What are your plans?
Old 02-02-2020, 07:37 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lessgravity View Post
You are one I wonder about Mum. Sorry to hear you continue to choose to drink. Welcome back.
Me, too.
Old 02-02-2020, 08:35 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

No such as thing as a hopeless case- believe me I've sent plenty of bad cases get and stay sober.

It's best to have some type of plan or idea this time around- be it counselling, AA, Rehab, SR and committing fully to it. It's hard I know but it 100% can be done. Good luck!
Old 02-02-2020, 08:39 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Old 02-02-2020, 09:05 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Mummy, if you're reading this, there is still hope. Keep reading and posting--post in "Interactive Word Games" if nothing else! Go to AA, go to rehab, do what's necessary. We're here for you!
Old 02-02-2020, 09:25 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

MummytoTwo,

Are you drinking because you enjoy the alcohol buzz or is it because your life is miserable and you turn to alcohol as an escape?

Thats an important question to answer. Because those are 2 different kinds of drinkers. Its important to discover "why" we drink and the underlying psychological issues. Because if we do not then relapse is inevitable....down the road.

Most people see alcohol as a cause rather than an an effect. I mean they see alcohol as a "cause of all my misfortunes" but we can also see alcoholism as an "end effect". We can see alcoholism as a "coping mechanism" for a person running away from deep psychological traumas and fears.

So maybe your most recent relapse is trying to awaken you to this realization that you have some emotional/mental/psychological issues that need to be addressed and worked on.
Old 02-02-2020, 09:26 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi Mummy,

I’m glad you checked in, it’s been a while since you’ve posted. You’re not hopeless, you just haven’t found the right supports yet. I know for me consistency to my recovery is important, I am four years sober, but I still read and post on SR daily.

What have you tried and stuck to consistently? What do you think you can add to that?

I hope you’ll pop back in today and share how you’re doing. I hope you’re sober today.

❤️ Delilah
Old 02-02-2020, 09:27 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thank you, your all very kind I’ll try again tomorrow ❤️
Old 02-02-2020, 09:32 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thank you, your all very kind I’ll try again tomorrow ❤️
I hope if you’re still drinking today you will stop.
Old 02-02-2020, 10:29 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Sorry you can't see the way out right now. You are the one opening that door, removing the snow that is blocking the beginning of the path. It is you making the path by walking it. You must believe it.

That video Houstin posted is really good
Old 02-02-2020, 10:31 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Houstin View Post
Thanks
Old 02-02-2020, 10:31 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Houstin View Post
Wow that is a great video. I had never heard of this guy before but what he says really makes alot of sense.

Thank you for sharing this with us