Notices

Methadone Rehab

Old 11-29-2004, 06:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Methadone Rehab

Hi I am new to the site. I have a 23 y.o. daughter addict to opiates recently enrolled in Methadone program. Anyone have any experience with this. I am afraid she is now addicted to a legalized drug. She does not attend meetings nor does she seem to really care about changing her friends or behavior. How can these programs be legal they just seem to dispense an addicting drug. What happens when she can't pay? Is she going to withdraw and become physically ill?
Old 11-29-2004, 06:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

methadone is a serious drup also. i'm sure you already know this though. there will not be a change unless she wants it. no motter how much you want it or how much you try to help, nothing will move unless she moves it. i could write for hours on how messed up some of our government's programs are but that is not going to do you any good. just be ready to help her when the time comes. she may not be ready yet. i do know this from personal experiance, that methadone is a serious kick. you need to be prepared for that. good luck and let me know if there is anything i can do. i'm from southern fla. and i know what it's like down there. just hang on, God will show the way.
Old 11-29-2004, 06:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ama

Oh my,

Methedone is far more addictive - so yes but it is administed medically and it is clean! A programme of recovery with NA would be the best step forward - making herself new friends trying to get better and helping each other to do so!

The drugs on the street are far more lethal and that is why methodone is used. I wish you both well and sorry I cannot offer any help other than to listen. SR is a great help and perhaps you could have her visit the site as a starting point????

Luvs Ama
Old 11-29-2004, 08:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Mark in Boston

Thanks for coming here! Wish I had more info for you.

If she does not want to clean up, she won't - short of kidnapping her & putting her into a lockdown rehab for long enough for it to work (2 months? 6 months? a year?)she probably will not get clean. She needs to find new friends, new activities, and get away from the addicts she has as friends. It is not easy. I was into drugs for years, and only quit when it became obvious that I had to stop or lose my job & maybe my apartment.

I have read very good things of people kicking coke with acupuncture.

Maybe the same applies to methadone.

Personally, I do not think methadone is a good way to kick opiates, since it is so strong, but (BUT) there have been successes with it.

I wish you the best.

Mark
Old 11-29-2004, 08:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

its hard to admit you have a problem and until she realizes how messed up her life is she wont want or try to change it. my husband is an addict and until he realized he was going to loose me and our 2 yr old son if he didnt do something to change his life he was all oh i dont have a problem and i'm fine. he had to step back and re-evaluate his life and what was important to him, now he is in a rehab clinic in florida for meth addiction and mood disorder. drugs are plaguing the world right now and we all need to step in and do something about it.
good luck
stephanie