Notices

Issue with Therapist

Old 02-01-2020, 04:38 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Thx, all. I did actually email my therapist. Our next visit is Tuesday, but I felt like I should say something before then. I explained my feelings and my intent. She responded with the following:

"I respect your decision and I'm glad you reached out to me to share your feelings. I would like to have the opportunity to discuss this with you further. Would you be willing to come at ___ so we can have some closure? There will be no charge for the session. Please think about it."

Let me just say...I don't expect any professional to "make me a deal"...I respect their time and my own time, for what it's worth. What I dislike is feeling like I'm being coerced into something by someone who's taught me to think for myself. The guilt trip.
Old 02-01-2020, 05:54 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Linners820 View Post
Thx, all. I did actually email my therapist. Our next visit is Tuesday, but I felt like I should say something before then. I explained my feelings and my intent. She responded with the following:

"I respect your decision and I'm glad you reached out to me to share your feelings. I would like to have the opportunity to discuss this with you further. Would you be willing to come at ___ so we can have some closure? There will be no charge for the session. Please think about it."

Let me just say...I don't expect any professional to "make me a deal"...I respect their time and my own time, for what it's worth. What I dislike is feeling like I'm being coerced into something by someone who's taught me to think for myself. The guilt trip.
Don't forget who is in charge here. The only way it can be a guilt trip is if you let it be a guilt trip.
Old 02-01-2020, 07:34 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

that is a very respectful reply from her.
Linners, i keep thinking about this in terms of other healthcare professionals. i see a physiotherapist for the arthritis in my thumbs and will be seeing one for other issues with my knees (turning into an old wreck!).
no, i would not appreciate being pressured into more than i know i can afford, but beyond that, i think it is the therapist’s job to state what they think the helpful timeframe is. after all, i see them because they are a professional and i want and need their professional input. which includes: “fini, i really think you should come twice-weekly for now. if you only come once-weekly, the time in between appointments is too long for my treatments to effectively build on one another.”
something like that.
and no, that does not help with the financial constraints, or the coercion you feel, but it is quite possibly the reason the more frequent visits are suggested.
Old 02-01-2020, 07:34 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I hope you are able to find an affordable therapist Linners. They're pretty thin on the ground, but.....maybe someone....?

Here's hoping.

Good on you for asserting yourself.