Notices

New Here (formerly SkyWalker91)

Old 01-30-2020, 02:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New Here (formerly SkyWalker91)

Hello all. I would just like to say that I am here and not going anywhere this time around. I had moved to LA then to SD all for getting sober (doing geographic after geographic) and all it did was lead me back to where I grew up and using all over again! Most recently, my dad passed away after New Years Day. Now, I am about two weeks sober. This is the longest I have been sober since October. I also want to mention that after 90 days clean and sober I got into a relationship with an active addict and we even got engaged (insanity right) ? Well needless to say our relationship was the demise of my sobriety....Now, I am back in my hometown wanting to be anywhere but here BUT I know running just is not the answer anymore. I can and will stay sober where I am. It is good to be back on here after so long. Now, I will try to make the most of the tools offered here on this site and will post as much as I can.
Old 01-30-2020, 03:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Coz

Hi Asher
Two weeks is a fantastic start! Well done! Also great that you are using this forum as a tool to keep on track - I sure am.
Old 01-30-2020, 03:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I can reopen your old Skywalker account if you like and then, combine the two under the old name. Let me know?

And, welcome back!
Old 01-30-2020, 03:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks to be exact is day day 10 of sobriety I had to count to make sure so still in the early few days..I am so irritable

Yes this is a good way to keep track. I am trying to find positive ways to stay busy. I am not working yet at least not until I have 90 days of clean time. For now I am keeping things very low key. How did you get through your early days?

Originally Posted by Coz View Post
Hi Asher
Two weeks is a fantastic start! Well done! Also great that you are using this forum as a tool to keep on track - I sure am.
Old 01-30-2020, 03:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back Asher

D
Old 01-30-2020, 04:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee! I am glad you are still here

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
welcome back Asher

D
Old 01-30-2020, 04:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome back and congrats on two weeks sober!
Old 01-30-2020, 04:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome back I can identify with the idea of being sober anywhere for sure. I feel like I’ve moved once a year for the last decade and for the most part it’s always followed me! We can all get through this together.
Old 01-30-2020, 06:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yes. Wherever you go there you are. That's the beauty of being an adult you learn that you take yourself with you everywhere. I even went to another country for a semester of college and my problems were exactly the same but with different people. We can definitely get through this together.

Originally Posted by ptown View Post
Welcome back I can identify with the idea of being sober anywhere for sure. I feel like I’ve moved once a year for the last decade and for the most part it’s always followed me! We can all get through this together.
Old 01-30-2020, 07:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Coz

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by AsherCohn1991 View Post
Thanks to be exact is day day 10 of sobriety I had to count to make sure so still in the early few days..I am so irritable

Yes this is a good way to keep track. I am trying to find positive ways to stay busy. I am not working yet at least not until I have 90 days of clean time. For now I am keeping things very low key. How did you get through your early days?
Hey Asher - I'm on day 1! How am I getting through? Mostly sitting at my computer reading posts on this forum.
My brain is fog, I have shakes, tingling and really poor balance, and can't manage to get much done at all. My achievement today so far is tuning my guitar which I haven't played for about 10 years.
I too am not working at the moment, which is great, but it also gives a lot more time to fill in. Alcohol filled the gap previously.
Make sure that some of your busy time is doing things you really enjoy!
Keep up the great work and don't let me catch up to your number of alcohol-free days!
Old 01-30-2020, 09:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome back!
Old 01-31-2020, 08:40 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks its day 11

Originally Posted by Delilah1 View Post
Welcome back!
Old 01-31-2020, 03:05 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Coz

Your doing great Asher - congratulations on day 11!
How are you feeling? (Just after inspiration that these first few days are really the worst!)
Old 01-31-2020, 07:09 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hey Coz! Yeah the first few weeks are the hardest and it seems that others will try to bring you down when you try to start making positive lifestyle changes. It is important to stay firm in my decision to stay sober. I am alright I realized that I enjoyed the rush and insanity that the life of active addiction brought on so I am watching tv shows that are high octane. Fill that void any way you can in early recovery.

Originally Posted by Coz View Post
Your doing great Asher - congratulations on day 11!
How are you feeling? (Just after inspiration that these first few days are really the worst!)
Old 02-01-2020, 05:00 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Day 12 went well. I actually got myself out of the house today and caught up with relatives. Saw a movie and grabbed dinner. I got to stay humble and on this path.
Old 02-01-2020, 06:39 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Originally Posted by AsherCohn1991 View Post
Day 12 went well. I actually got myself out of the house today and caught up with relatives. Saw a movie and grabbed dinner. I got to stay humble and on this path.
If your background is anything like mine, if you are anything like me your journey will include something like this....

I'm bored I want to drink.

I have a stomach ache, whiskey will help.

Toast to my newborn baby and my dieing wife.

I can't sleep, booze will help.

Now this clean the crave has all but went away, it its place all of my hang ups.

Also in its place the incredible feeling of freedom and unprecedented energy and patience.

My dopamine production is satisfactory for my happiness now. It took about 4 years for this to happen.

That might be why so few make it out.

There is more but that is all for now.

Thanks.
Old 02-02-2020, 04:37 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

what were some things you did to fight off cravings in early months/year 1? 4 + years of sobriety is awesome!

Originally Posted by D122y View Post
If your background is anything like mine, if you are anything like me your journey will include something like this....

I'm bored I want to drink.

I have a stomach ache, whiskey will help.

Toast to my newborn baby and my dieing wife.

I can't sleep, booze will help.

Now this clean the crave has all but went away, it its place all of my hang ups.

Also in its place the incredible feeling of freedom and unprecedented energy and patience.

My dopamine production is satisfactory for my happiness now. It took about 4 years for this to happen.

That might be why so few make it out.

There is more but that is all for now.

Thanks.
Old 02-02-2020, 04:40 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Day 13

Hey you guys I made it to almost 2 weeks (as of tomorrow) I have been feeling emotionally down today. The weather is gloomy here on the east coast and rainy. I am not used to this weather after living in the sunny west coast for so long.

Anyway I got a job interview tomorrow and to be honest, I do not think I am ready for the anxiety that comes along with being back at work. I am still in early recovery and coming off of a terrible relapse. I wanted to give it at least a full month before going on interviews...So I am a bit indecisive lets see what I decide.
Old 02-02-2020, 04:43 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I am sorry to learn about your Dad, Asher. Welcome back.

Good luck with whatever you decide regarding the interview. Sounds like you know yourself pretty well and will make the right decision for you.
Old 02-02-2020, 07:54 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

thank you!

Originally Posted by Lucinda2 View Post
I am sorry to learn about your Dad, Asher. Welcome back.

Good luck with whatever you decide regarding the interview. Sounds like you know yourself pretty well and will make the right decision for you.