Notices

Real start today

Old 02-18-2020, 06:28 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Remember odaat and do your best not to catastrophize over the procedure. Easier said than done and I did eat a couple entire sheet cakes the four days leading up to my back surgery last yr-didn't even think I was nervous

Going into this sober will let you heal and deal with any next steps and what the procedure reveals. You're doing great!
Old 02-18-2020, 11:15 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  
Coz

Originally Posted by soupcon View Post
Coz, how are you doing now? Any updates health-wise? I read fatty liver can be reversed in two weeks with abstinence from alcohol.
Thank you again Soupcon - I have been feeling a bit isolated on SR lately. I know it is just me being overly sensitive at the moment and a little afraid to connect with anyone on the fear of being rejected or irrationally taking words (or lack of them) as not really fitting in or belonging anywhere. So you checking in on me meant so very much

Health wise, not a lot more to report at the moment. I am now on the public waiting list for a colonoscopy and surgery to remove my extra large and growing cyst (last measurement was 12cm!). I am delaying my next liver fibroscan. Firstly because I am hoping that being alcohol-free for a month will see some great improvements to the condition of my liver, and also, need to save up a bit of cash to fund all the travel and medical costs ahead.

I have another doctors appointment on Monday to find out results of my latest round of tests (I feel like a human guinea pig!).

On my positive notes, I have been completely cleared of breast cancer, my tumour markers are only slightly elevated (which hopefully means that my cyst or bowel is not, or only early-stage cancer), and I am now on day 20 of no-drinking. The end of tomorrow will be 3 weeks

Thanks to all in SR-land for the huge role that you have played in helping and supporting me to get through the last three weeks without drinking
Old 02-19-2020, 04:06 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Three weeks!! Wonderful!
I don't know how it is in Australia, but it sounds like your doctor does not consider the colonoscopy and surgery an emergency if you are on a waiting list. Here in the US the surgery would be immediate if cancer was suspected. So that is good news!
Keep us posted. I read here everyday and have been wondering if you are okay if you don't post.
Old 02-19-2020, 04:29 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  
Coz

Thanks again soupcon

I have had calls from the two hospitals (need to travel for the surgery) and both are trying to get me in as soon as possible. I don't have private health insurance, so am only with the public system which is stretched for docs, surgeons and beds. But I like your thinking that they can't be overly concerned - I'll run with that!

It will be three weeks at the end of tomorrow, and feeling like I need to stay off the grog forever. I know I am going to have some big challenges coming up that will challenge my resolve, but trying not to fret about them. I start a new job on 9 March. I left my last job in early December and moved interstate, so have had lots of "me-time" with no work stresses and able to stay away from the world. That will all change in a few weeks time. I have also been invited to a social gathering with my soon-to-be-colleagues prior to me starting which would normally be great, but it is a 'wine and water colours' session at the art gallery followed by dinner at a pub. I don't feel like I can say no to attending, but also rather anxious about how the evening will go from both meeting my new team and being at a wine event at the same time.
But all that is a couple of weeks away, so just need to stay on the wagon and come up with a plan on how to tackle the situation.
Other little stress is going to the docs again on Monday for results. They sent me a message to make an appointment promptly which I did, but my doc is on leave and not back until Monday. They gave me the first appointment of the day which makes me think that there will be some bad news early next week.
But as August said: "Going into this sober will let you heal and deal with any next steps and what the procedure reveals. " I'm hanging on that to keep to the plan and not let the anxiety feed AV.

It really is a learning curve to deal with life's challenges without relying on the numbing effects of drinking, but from all the success stories I've read on this forum, it seems so worthwhile learning a new way of living.

Happy sober wishes to everyone reading this!
Old 02-19-2020, 06:13 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Congratulations on your 3 wks. sober tomorrow, Coz.
I'm glad to know you're cleared of breast cancer. It'll be a relief to get the other issues resolved.
Old 02-20-2020, 04:35 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Does your type of job normally involve drinking and socializing? Or will this be a one time thing?
Old 02-20-2020, 04:52 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  
Coz

Originally Posted by soupcon View Post
Does your type of job normally involve drinking and socializing? Or will this be a one time thing?
Mostly this will be a one off thing. There will be some functions to attend, but I will be working and hence not allowed to drink. This is just a social gathering with the rest of the team and I'm sure there will be occasional ones every so often. The occasion for this social event is to celebrate Christmas 2019 (yep - they are running late) and to welcome me to the team.

This one just rattles me a bit with the wine focus and with a group of people I don't know yet. Some will be my future bosses, and some will be the staff in the team that I will be leading. I really want to fit in with the new team but also don't want to have a drink which would likely end up being lots of drinks and likely result in me doing or saying something really stupid.

As long as I can keep AV away on the night, I will be OK if I can come up with reasons why I am not being fully involved in the 'wine and watercolour' expectations and not drinking at Christmas celebration dinner.

I've got a couple more weeks before having to deal with the evening, so hopefully I will be feeling more confident with less cravings, and make sure that I come up with great ways to beat the anxiety attacks.

Any advice greatly appreciated!
Old 02-20-2020, 05:22 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

What has worked for me all these years is I accepted very early on in sobriety that drinking is not an option, Period. I did sometimes take antabuse in the beginning when I knew I would be around alcohol. You may want to ask your doctor about that. You cannot drink on antabuse or you would get very sick.
Old 02-20-2020, 06:53 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Sending love and support Coz. You can handle all that is being thrown out you, sober. I believe in you.
Old 02-20-2020, 09:46 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Hi coz. You can fit in with your new team WITHOUT DRINKING!!
Don’t make a big thing of it. Lots of people don’t drink and it’s no big deal. Don’t over think it. Nobody knows you on this new team so you have no explaining to do. You just don’t drink. You will probably see that there are other team members who don’t drink either. If anyone asks just say you don’t like the taste of alcohol.
But to reiterate. Don’t make a big deal of it and nobody else will!
Old 02-23-2020, 03:17 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Hi Coz. Let us know how your doctor's appointment goes Monday morning.
Old 02-23-2020, 03:24 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

I understand wanting to fit in, especially when you dont know people.
Which is more likely to help you fit in in the long run?..

Joining in the drinking and likely ending up embarrassing yourself (as you said)...

Or not joining in, people wondering why you're not drinking but ultimately you get to be yourself?
Old 02-23-2020, 04:24 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  
Coz

Thanks everyone for the advice on the upcoming work social event.

I really don't want to drink ever again (despite the odd times when AV applies some serious pressure). So, my plan is to not drink (and I'm doing well sticking to my plans so far).

I am thinking I shall come across as being very responsible in saying that I don't drink when I have to drive home (if I have to say anything at all). I'm sure not going to tell them about my real addiction to alcohol on our first meeting! Hopefully I won't be asked about my lack of drinking at the function.

Really appreciate your words of wisdom. It is great that you have been through these early stages and still stick around to help the likes of me that would definitely not have made it this far (as experience shows) without such great support and encouragement.

And soupcon - a bit anxious about the doc visit tomorrow. I'm just trying to convince myself that it is not worth stressing over - there is nothing I can do to change whatever the results might be. I'll check in after the appointment 'cause I'm sure I'll be looking for a drink whether it be good or bad news (expecting bad due to the need for a 'prompt' appointment). Thank you for caring!
Old 02-23-2020, 05:19 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

I think you are showing such great spirit and thought processes, Coz. I know you will keep us updated on dr stuff

And for the upcoming work stuff- literally planning out early events and outings was the way to go for me. It feels like awhile since this particular topic has come up around here (to me anyway, but I prob missed some threads!) but I know how much talking thru literal planning from start to finish, door to door, was for me. I don't want to future trip too much for you since we aren't there yet, if you will, but not drinking each day and taking comfort that when the actual start of work and outing itself (think of just this ONE!) come, you can have a plan of action that is tangible and check-list-able, will hopefully keep you even.

Glad you are here!
Old 02-23-2020, 02:17 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sure the doctors will be ok - most of us dreaded bad news but found things weren't as bad as we feared.

I'm sure the work thing will be ok too - driving is an excellent excuse altho these days I just say I don't drink....there's more and more of us teetotalers out there now - even in Oz

D
Old 02-25-2020, 04:30 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Are you okay, Coz?
Old 02-25-2020, 02:16 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  
Coz

Hi all
Yes, I am OK here on day 27.
News from the doc wasn't great - tumour markers in latest pathology test are higher and they picked up abnormal cells in my latest PAP. So now I have three lots of surgery scheduled to remove both ovaries, colonoscopy and a cervical biopsy. The thinking is that the it is likely that I have early stage cancer in one or more of bowel/ ovary/ cervix.
I'm feeling a bit sorry for myself. The timing of surgery is likely to be in the early weeks of a new job, which is not ideal as I wont have any sick leave accrued so will probably need to take leave without pay. Medical bills so far haven't been huge, but finances are going to be very tight over the next few months, particularly as hubby hasn't yet found employment in our new town.
Good news is that I am not drinking despite the anxiety associated with poor health, finances and what I am thinking are withdrawal side-effects that aren't going away (mostly shocking headaches which I don't normally get when drinking, irritability and lack of motivation.
I am not sure why, but I am not talking to hubby about all the things going through my mind at the moment. I've always been a private type of person, but sometimes it is nice to have an outlet to honestly say all the things that are adding to my snappy attitude - so thanks for listening to me and all the support!
Old 02-25-2020, 02:24 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Congratulations on your 27 days of sobriety, Coz.

I'm sorry you had bad news from your dr. I'll send some prayers up for you. I'm so glad you have sober time behind you so you can handle things with a clear head.
Old 02-25-2020, 02:36 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Well done on the 27 days Coz. Sorry that you've received bad news from the docs. It's good that you have an outlet here for pouring out your thoughts and feelings. You're coping remarkably well. I've been stalking this thread for a few days and just have to say that you're an inspiration to me.
Old 02-25-2020, 02:57 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

The best news here is that you are sober and handling this health stuff so well. If it is cancer, catching it early stage is so significant. I am keeping you in my prayers as well.