Notices

Real start today

Old 01-31-2020, 03:49 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I’m so sorry about your husband’s mother Coz. Stay with your plan. You’ve got lots of folks here pulling for you. You can do this.
Keep posting here when that AV tries to speak up. We are louder and stronger than the AV.
Old 01-31-2020, 04:17 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hi coz

​​​​​​Congratulations on day 1. Sorry about your mother in law. We are all here to support you so post as often as you need.
Old 01-31-2020, 04:36 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Sorry about your MIL coz. 😥
Old 01-31-2020, 06:40 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Good luck on your new life and new journey!
Old 01-31-2020, 06:44 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Sending good thoughts. So sorry for your loss. I’ll echo what others have said - drinking won’t help at all and it definitely will not make you feel better!
Old 01-31-2020, 06:56 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Coz View Post
So it is now 18 hours since my last drink and getting to that time of the day when I normally would pick up the pace of drinking.
Temptation to make tomorrow 'day 1' is strong...
I know that feeling all too well. I took "I'll start tomorrow pledge," more times than I can count. Perhaps this is where "taking it one day at a time" comes from. I've always puzzled over that bumper sticker. Recovery is not about starting tomorrow. It's what you do moment to moment to add another day to your count, and it all takes place in the "now."

I'm happy you are doing this. Hang on to your seat for a few days until the cravings begin to subside. Then you can put away your will power, and start using your brain, which is easier than will power. It's the part where you start to build confidence, leap frog ahead on the backs of your successes, and begin to grow, and we can help you with that.
Old 01-31-2020, 11:55 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Coz, did you get any sleep?
Old 01-31-2020, 02:12 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Coz

Thank you again everyone! Day 2 begins today.

Sleep was very ordinary last night. I think I got about 5 hours in all - but awake often.
I was thinking in those waking hours that this withdrawal is kinda like menopause: emotional, irritable, on-edge, hot sweats, brain not quite with it.

And a question, what is with the tingling sensation? It started in my hands and feet and now every part of my skin is tingling. Is this my brain, or is it all those nerve endings celebrating at being free from years of numbness?

The plan today is to go and buy some plants and set up a celebratory garden. Might be a little ambitious, but at least it is a plan to work towards.

Happy sober Saturday to all!
Old 01-31-2020, 04:46 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Administrator

I haven;t had all those things happen but they sound pretty common. Of course, if you're concerned, seeing a Dr is never a bad idea.

D
Old 01-31-2020, 06:21 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

You're doing this, Coz.

I had that tingling thing - and many other odd feelings & sensations. Everything settled down after a while.

I'm sorry about your mother-in-law.
Old 01-31-2020, 11:53 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Coz

It is that time of the day when the craving for a drink is very strong. AV is saying it is OK if you just have the one and it is so tempting to listen.
I'm trying to distract myself but can't seem to start anything - it all seems too hard and procrastination is rife.
This is really hard (just saying). Watching the clock awaiting the 48 hour mark is all that I seem to be able to manage.
I bought some plants today, but can't decide where to put them and don't have the energy to dig a hole.
Just rambling to pass some time and hope that the words 'on paper' will chase AV away.
Old 02-01-2020, 02:50 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Hey Coz, I hope you're still hanging in there.
I am still new at this also and can relate to the focus issue.
I find if I dont know what to do I just pick something and start then it will fall in place. Not perfectly every time but it kills time which is the enemy right now.

Idle hands are the devils play thing
Old 02-01-2020, 03:22 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Do not keep alcohol in the house. Throw it out now if there is any. I used to drink diet coke or water or anything non-alcoholic to replace the need for a drink. I think the plant idea is wonderful and was surprised that you felt well enough to go out and buy them so soon. Watch netflix or youtube or whatever gets you distracted. So proud of you.
Old 02-01-2020, 04:36 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
~sb

I listened to speaker tapes from AA. It's usually their story of how bad they got drinking and what they did to remain sober. It passed time (I did use those steps to stay stopped).

You are worth sobriety!!
Old 02-01-2020, 02:34 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Coz

Thanks again to all that are dropping posts on my threads. I so eagerly await the ideas, experiences and words of support.
I have made it to day 3, although I was pretty close to blowing it late yesterday.
I am so looking forward to feeling better and really just wanting the next week to pass quickly. But, I know, one day at a time.
I hope to get the garden plants in the ground today. That is my 'big' plan!
Old 02-01-2020, 02:37 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Keep up the good work.
Don't let the AV get control of your head.
Old 02-01-2020, 03:06 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Administrator

The AV lies always - refuse to even engage with it Coz,

D
Old 02-01-2020, 04:54 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Great job Coz

Get the plants in the ground and think of how good that accomplishment will feel
Old 02-02-2020, 01:21 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Coz

Smile

Originally Posted by Hawkeye13 View Post
Great job Coz

Get the plants in the ground and think of how good that accomplishment will feel
Hawkeye - I did it! Prepared a garden bed, removed all the weeds and planted eight plants. It did take me all day doing little bits at a time, but I did it!

Feeling proud of myself, but also feeling like I deserve a drink after that effort. But I'm not going to. This will be my first sober weekend for five years when I gave up for a month and I am going to make it.

Think I might try and set up the DVD player and watch '28 days' as an in-home therapy.
Old 02-02-2020, 03:07 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Fantastic job today, Coz!