SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   When the going gets tough - Weekenders 31 January- 03 February 2020 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/445400-when-going-gets-tough-weekenders-31-january-03-february-2020-a.html)

MantaLady 02-03-2020 12:22 AM

Whilst driving to work and thinking on re my “danger time” being straight after work I had a look at the pool timings. I usually start around 8am so I can leave at 4 to beat the traffic, which doesn’t seem to be making much difference as everyone else is doing the same...so the plan tomorrow is to go straight to the pool at 4 (it’s just across the road from work) and swim for an hour then. Hopefully this will distract me from my day, calm down my mind and is something I have never thought of doing before. I’ll reserve my mornings for calm and making sure I have a proper breakfast and don’t start the day stressed. x

SnoozyQ 02-03-2020 02:37 AM

Kaily your little doggo is adorable.

im exactly where you are at this point. My italian greyhound Lewis is 17 years old .
his age is finally catching up with him and its been "almost time " for a couple of months now.
He is totally deaf now, has cataracts, but he is still eating well.

when he starts to become incontinent then that will be the time. They lose their dignity and i really feel thats the time, because it dosnt get better.

but having said that ....its just so hard to make that final decision.

i will be getting a mobile vet to come as he hates gojng to the veterinary surgery. So i will sit with him on my bed where he sleeps.

im getting teary even thinking about it

xxx

Willow00 02-03-2020 02:44 AM

I’m glad it was just a stealth emoji jr and not a true reflection of how you are :) the arancine balls with portobello made my taste buds go into a frenzy. There’s a local Italian restaurant that I’m just going to have to pay a visit to soon....

(((Kaily))) Matilda is beautiful ❤️❤️❤️
(((Snoozy))) ❤️❤️❤️
Sending you both so much love x

Manta, the afternoon swim sounds a great idea. We’re all with you :hug: x

I’m off to bed guys, absolutely exhausted, night all

SnoozyQ 02-03-2020 02:46 AM

Manta, you have seem to have really thought things through.
it sounds like a great plan to me.
we are all behind you xxxx

SnoozyQ 02-03-2020 03:22 AM

https://i.postimg.cc/nzQWRwYY/20190704-173041.jpg

MantaLady 02-03-2020 03:27 AM

Aww, what a little love bug xx

fishkiller 02-03-2020 03:59 AM

Congrats mariposa and kaily!
Your pup is beautiful kaily!
Stay strong manta. Hunger is a huge trigger for me, body wants them calories.
snoozy beautiful pup as well!

Kaily 02-03-2020 04:19 AM

Beautiful Snoozy. Is he going flying? :wink3:

Sounds like a good plan Manta. After your swim and food you will be ready for bed. No time for any drinking!

Hawkeye13 02-03-2020 06:06 AM

Hugs to all those with older dogs. My spouse and I are now on our forth generation of pup children together. Never gets easier to let them go, but I do plan on a huge reunion once I'm over the Rainbow Bridge myself. . .

Love the swimming idea Manta--I often go to a yoga class after work and by the time I do that and take the long drive home in the dark on the backroads, any thought of alcohol is long gone.

All I want is a cup of tea or decaffinated chai, my easy chair, and a warm fire to to heat my bones before bed ;)

venuscat 02-03-2020 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by MantaLady (Post 7374651)
After effects of drinking Friday meant I got no sleep last night. Was still tossing and turning at 2:30am so 5am wasn’t an option this morning. I have an 1hr 45 minute commute to work so have to leave by 6:30 at the latest anyhow. My danger time is straight after work or working when I get home. You’ve given me food for thought there Sao as that is the time I need to solution. I have bought 5 ready meals or meals I can eat quick when I get home, not super unhealthy ones and don’t have the excuse I can’t be bothered to cook as I won’t need to. Being hungry is one thing I can tick off the list that doesn’t help. Rather than get home and put my pj’s on straight away I’ll get the oven going and go for a 30 minute walk round the village while my tea cooks. I am also going to meditate for 15 mins before bed and restart a gratitude journal. Try to bring some calm and positivity back into my routine. I know all this isn’t much but it’s a start. xx

I think it's heaps.....lots of very good positive stuff to get you through that hard after-work time. And all of it...sounds like a great action plan to me dear mantalady. :hug: s xx

Fusion 02-03-2020 06:55 AM

Well, I think this thread qualifies as having the two sweetest dogs, Matilda and Lewis (in that order of seniority). They are beautiful, and both so fortunate to live with their loving mum's, Kaily and Snoozy.

Manta, sounds like you're developing and enacting a great plan, how awesome to have a pool opposite your workplace.

saoutchik 02-03-2020 10:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Swimming sounds a great idea Manta.

Matilda and Lewis are fine looking pooches. The cat in the background of Snoozy's pic is clearly thinking "dumb dog" as cats do with regards to dogs.

Edit. I was south of the river today and passed Clink Street which runs past the former site of London's first prison which was called The Clink (the Tower of London is older but that was not a prison, only royals and nobleman types went to the Tower. The Clink is also old London slang for prison, does that term mean anything to non Londoners? I suspect not but you never know...

saoutchik 02-03-2020 10:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a slightly more interesting pic of the City of London (the financial district) glowering over the Thames from the South Bank. Any colour you like so long as it's grey.

Willow00 02-03-2020 01:25 PM

Snoozy Lewis is beautiful ❤️
And I just snuck another peek at beautiful Matilda too Kaily ❤️

Sao I didn’t see the kitty watching Lewis until you mentioned it :lmao:

Andy I agree, it never gets easier to let our darling old fur babies go :(
But I’m looking forward to a chaotic reunion with all my fur babies when I go over the rainbow bridge. My Mum and Dad are already reunited with them up there and it will be such a joyous reunion when I see them all again ❤️❤️❤️ I have to stop or I’m going to cry. And I have to get ready for work.
Tuesday morning here, 7.30am and it’s “Hi ho, hi ho, off to work I go”

MantaLady 02-03-2020 01:28 PM

I remember prison being called the clink as a nipper Sao but you don’t hear it used much nowadays. Never knew it’s origin though! x

Willow00 02-03-2020 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by MantaLady (Post 7375103)
I remember prison being called the clink as a nipper Sao but you don’t hear it used much nowadays. Never knew it’s origin though! x

It brought to mind Captain Klink of the old tv show Hogan’s heroes from when I was s kid :lmao:

Cityboy 02-03-2020 02:49 PM

Hogan's Heroes was my very first thought too

MesaMan 02-03-2020 03:34 PM

'Tis very nice to read of the various achievements, and Sober stretches here. The battle does get easier, and becomes The New Normal as Sober Time marches on.

Below is a Pic just taken of MesaDog soaking up some Rays here in the RV Trailer. He's a bit over 11 Human Years old, so we make sure to enjoy all the moments. The blustery Wind is knocking down, and is not shaking the Trailer. As was the case last Night.

We just hung out today. Soaked in the Natural Hot Springs. Ate some Homemade Guacamole. Now listening to some Streaming Music. My own Core Solution re: drinking to relieve Stress was to eliminate Stress. :doggy:

I drove through some 'old' Desert late yesterday on back Roads to hit a new Dog Park, and that was mentally refreshing.

Besides my Folks using the term, I kinda recall phrases like 'The Clink' from some old b/w Gangster Movies...

https://i.postimg.cc/wMScvqQs/Boz-In-PS.jpg

Forwards 02-03-2020 04:16 PM

Hello friends,

Ahh dogs, thank you for sharing your photos. Well done Mariposa on your 30 days and congrats Kaily on your 15 months. I'm at 400 days today - good stuff...

Sounds like a good start of a plan Manta - I would swim and swim in the early days and it certainly helped.

I'm just finishing off my work project this evening that has been all consuming over the past couple of months. I could never have done it while drinking. Gratitude indeed...

Best wishes to all. Forwards.

SendSleep 02-03-2020 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by jr67 (Post 7374526)
Oh you said Soho, SS, I see.

Soho it’s a cool place, you find the most interesting things there. I got a pair of new sneakers which had some funky designs on them

Sounds like a fun night, I fell asleep after the halftime show haha. My new office is still in Manhattan, just further up so it adds a little bit more time to the commute. I unpacked my office today so it felt good to be settled in. Still getting used to the new location of the new building, it’s much bigger than the old one and I’ve actually gotten lost a couple times haha!

I do think if I ran into my old gang they would definitely entice me into the party scene and I think I honestly would be tempted, at least to some degree. Exactly, if I was tempted I would call my non user friend or someone and talk to them. I could also post on SR and could also distract myself in other ways by writing if no one is available.

I thought about checking out NA. Am going to do some more research on that maybe later tonight when I get home. Yes I’d be interested to hear other peoples perspectives on it.

How’s your night going? I’m getting ready to leave work soon, my brain is fried Lol