Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

When the going gets tough - Weekenders 31 January- 03 February 2020

Notices

When the going gets tough - Weekenders 31 January- 03 February 2020

Old 02-01-2020, 05:20 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Reid82 View Post
Going to meet a friend for lunch later today. Will try to go for a walk later too (weather depending) I'm trying to do around 20km walking a week now. I've disc damage in my lower back and was recommended to do a lot of walking to help movement.
Wow, that's a lot. I should do that too. I will start with 5ks per week and see if I can ever get there. I hope it really helps your back love. s xx
Old 02-01-2020, 05:25 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jr67 View Post
Quiz:

1. What would you name the sculpture newly installed near the Old something or other tube stop in London?

named it already

Spoiler alert: Jr's entry appears below in this post, so if you don't want your creative flow clogged up by jr's mental dross (something like dental floss, but opposite), cogitate and formulate your answer now.

2. What's your favorite flavor tim tam?

I do not like tim tams....yes, you heard that right.

3. What's the actual name of the tube stop referred to in Q1?

Hint: It's deceptively simple, We U.S. natives tend to think all those Old World names tend to be hyphenated and majorly multisyllabic, like, for example,

... oh, hello, I fell asleep trying to think of the quintessential example. I'm awake now (can't you tell?), but the best I'm coming up with is Croton-on-Hudson, and that's in the U.S., but you know what I mean.

Zero idea....I googled and I still don't get it

4. And how about those Welsh place names?

5. Is Rule's restaurant still alive and well in London? Jr ate there on jr's first or second trip to London, on the recommendation of jr's father, who ate there on his (the father's) first trip to London. Traditional with a capital T, don't you know, with stuffed stuff on the walls, and maybe an ancient ceremonial sword or two, and coats of arms. Last time jr was there had to be 26 years ago (1994, I reckon), because jr does not think he went there in 2005 or thereabouts with his future husband. Jr did go there to London in 2005, but to the best of my memory, he did not go to Rule's that time. As with all things internet, this could be wrong.

6. In what field did jr's father work, in Manhattan, that probably explains why someone recommended he try out Rule's when he (jr's father) first went to London?

7. If you climbed up to jr's homeroom on the third (top) floor of his high school and looked west, what three buildings could you used to just barely make out the tops of on a clear day, about 25 miles (40.234 km) distant, as the crow flies?

Hint: Two of them were not completed until after jr graduated from high school.

You're coming to the end of this post, so you're coming to jr's answer to Q1, as predicted:

Fwiw, jr's entry of the A to Q1:

Everyman, 21st century.

subtitle:

Look out for that lorry, dude!
......officially lost.....you beat me and my brain today. s xx
Old 02-01-2020, 05:42 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Reid82 View Post
Going to meet a friend for lunch later today. Will try to go for a walk later too (weather depending) I'm trying to do around 20km walking a week now. I've disc damage in my lower back and was recommended to do a lot of walking to help movement.
Walking on a hard surface hurts my back but I can go on the treadmills at the gym with no back pain. We have multiple friends that do marathons. I just can't imagine.
Old 02-01-2020, 06:03 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Happy Saturday Morning!

My family of four is not particularly musical, but we have alot of musical instruments in the house. Let see, an electric piano, several guitars (one electric) two accordions, a trombone, a french horn, a clarinet, of course several ukuleles (one electric) and a banjolele, a djembi drum, recorders, cow bell and various shakers, and 12 harmonicas (one in each scale). My dad want's to give us my mom's stand up piano, but we really don't want it, nor do we have the room.

My son was a brilliant trombone player in school, they even promoted him to the senior jazz band early. And he continued to play in all other school bands. We sent him to 'jazz camp' during summer breaks. We have a great Jazz program at the university and I tried to encourage him to go there. But it didn't happen. So sad. He doesn't play very much anymore....

The weather outside is an unbelievable +1c today. The weekends plans are to make more saw dust in the garage.
Old 02-01-2020, 06:16 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Hey dragon,
what kind of wood working do you do?

I have a little wood working skill but always like to see what others are doing
Old 02-01-2020, 06:32 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
......officially lost.....you beat me and my brain today. s xx
Then we're tied:

Knots arrived yesterday, and I cracked it open at bedtime last night, and dipped my toe in.

Just one pinky toe, as I quickly saw (or this little piggy quickly saw, I should say, to be precise, and metaphorically consistent) (assuming a metaphorical piggy can see) that I would need to be more alert than jr's 3 a.m. self was last night if said self is to have any hope of emerging relatively unscathed from a foray into Dr. Laing's labyrinthine psychological legerdemain,

What is jr talking about, you ask, dear reader? Here is just one sample (p. 66 of Knots, in this 90-page paperback edition):

Jill thinks
Jack thinks
Jill does not see something.

Jack does think
Jill sees it
but Jack does not see
Jill thinks
Jack thinks
Jill does not see.

Quiz:

1. You see?

2. Or knot?

3. What's your name?
Old 02-01-2020, 06:33 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

^^^ Oh yeah, love it big time....off to get my copy. xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Old 02-01-2020, 07:23 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Emily Dickinson's Gardening Life, by Marta McDowell, author of Beatrix Potter's Gardening Life

Hardcover, 2019, Timber Press.

Beautiful book, color illustrations and photographs, copious poetical quotes in context.

Subtitle of book: The plants and places that inspired the iconic poet.
Old 02-01-2020, 07:26 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

From 30, 1858

So build the hillocks gaily --
Thou little spade of mine
Leaving nooks for Daisy
And for Columbine --
Old 02-01-2020, 08:26 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Beautiful and thank you. xxxx
Old 02-01-2020, 08:29 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Enjoyed reading all these posts. Hurray for the rain in Australia! Glad you're feeling on the up, Mags.

It was strange to be reminded of RD Laing. I'm of an age and he was a big deal for us all back in the day, rather more for his views on psychosis than poetry of course but I also remember Knots being published. I've hardly read any Emily Dickinson but her name always reminds me of those great lines from that Simon and Garfunkel song, The Dangling Conversation:

"And you read your Emily Dickenson
And I my Robert Frost
And we note our place with bookmarkers
That measure what we've lost...."

Very soulful! I was also around in the day when that song was first recorded so all in all I've had a good trip down memory lane just now.

Hope everyone is doing OK at the start of what always feels to me like the most dismal month of the year! Roll on March and springtime, at least in the UK.
Old 02-01-2020, 09:06 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Fun February, Troopz ~

Only 328 Days until Xmas, so that makes the rapid passing of January a lil more palatable, eh?

Below, we see an example of the local Fauna: a CellTowercus Fakeamundo. This was out behind the Palm Springs Ford Dealership I went to yesterday. Man, a very Yupscale Joint. They even had that brand of Seattle-based Coffee Machine with Digital Screen, so I indulged in a Double Cap made to order. I stopped by to get the Phone Number for the Truck Extended Warranty Division. Bought the max Package available by Phone on my new-ish Truck so that I don't have to think about pricey Repairs for 8 Years while towing our RV Trailer. Proprietary items like Twin Turbos, and Navigation Systems, ain't gonna be cheap to repair some Day.

My Laptop Video Testimony in a Mountain Forest Access Case by our former Weekend House went swimmingly a few Days ago. A Pal of a Pal there who doesn't know me said that the 2 of us who testified by remote Video were 'awesome', and made the Attorneys' Jobs much easier. A Judgment in this Case is due in 30 Days max, so I hope the Forest Access now suddenly gated off [illegally] by wealthy Folks from out-of-State remains open. As it was fo evah. Sobriety sho made my prep and Testimony go better, and allowed me to focus on the important 'stuff' of my history-based Account. Usage history is BIG in Easement Law, as I learned at length around MesaVille when a local Drunk tried to gate us out of our Land outta spite. He had 8 DUIs. The veritable Slow Learner who's now gone on to harass others elsewhere while on the run from imminent Jail on his last DUI. ~15 Years of dealing with his Sorry Posterior was a yuge episode of digging deep 'when the going gets tough', so thanks for this Topic, Mags!

Queens Of The Stone Age are Desert Grunge Locals who live a few Towns over here in S. California where they can make lots of noise...

~ 'Little Sister' ~ Queens Of The Stone Age ~

Old 02-01-2020, 11:59 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Originally Posted by MesaMan View Post
Fun February, Troopz ~

Only 328 Days until Xmas, so that makes the rapid passing of January a lil more palatable, eh?

I hope all is well biminiblue

So with Jr's question in mind I had a little look around online and that statue is called network and here is a short but informative article about it:-

Thomas J Price - White Collar Factory

Quite cool huh? Btw a little bit of trivia, in 1295 Old Street was already named Ealdestrate or Old Street as it was the old Roman road north and east to the capital at Colchester.

Rules was definitely still there at the end of last year. I have never actually been, it's a bit like the Tower of London, I take it for granted although I did go see the Tower as a primary school kid (not long after it was built)

Dragon mentioned that his son used to play the trombone. I read somewhere (probably written by a trombone player) that the trombone was the hardest instrument to learn to play because there are no frets, valves or keys available by to hit the right note with which sounds very plausible to this non player.

It also leads me nicely into this. Some of you might not know that the Avalanches are from Australia. They are also very good.

https://youtu.be/eu0KsZ_MVBc
Old 02-01-2020, 01:43 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Jr my favourite kind of Tim Tam is original. Yep that’s the only answer I knew

That was really entertaining Sao, I hadn’t heard of them.

Happy Sunday everyone
Old 02-01-2020, 02:52 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cityboy View Post
Walking on a hard surface hurts my back but I can go on the treadmills at the gym with no back pain. We have multiple friends that do marathons. I just can't imagine.

My chiropractor said that running wouldn't be the best- due to the impact on the surface. But I find the walking really good, it's only about the only exercise I get now, I did weights/powerlifting for years but due to the injuries that's not really a good idea anymore. I'm still pretty big due to the years of weights, 6 foot at about 235 pounds but would like to lean up some bit still.
Old 02-01-2020, 05:40 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Originally Posted by fishkiller View Post
Hey dragon,
what kind of wood working do you do?

I have a little wood working skill but always like to see what others are doing
Specifically, today I built a jig to hold and old adjustable work table surface straight so I could clamp a glue up project. The glue up project was a simple shelf with edging that now holds a small network switch and power adapter, both firmly attached and ready for an under table mounting.

But really, what I'm up to is trying to elevate my skills. Learning to make more accurate cuts and joinery. I recently made a sled for my table saw and a new fence for my band saw. I've been working on making accurate bridal joints on the band saw (I read about the technique in a magazine). I'm also dressing and gluing up bits of hardwood to get more technical at that. Fooling around mostly until I decide on what project to start getting serious at.

One of things I do with my sober time.
Old 02-01-2020, 05:45 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Originally Posted by MesaMan View Post
...Proprietary items like Twin Turbos, and Navigation Systems, ain't gonna be cheap to repair some Day...
The hands free system in my Chrysler recently gave out. After some research and digging under the dash, I find that it's a separate little module which will cost upwards of $400.00 to replace!
Old 02-01-2020, 05:47 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
...Dragon mentioned that his son used to play the trombone. I read somewhere (probably written by a trombone player) that the trombone was the hardest instrument to learn to play because there are no frets, valves or keys available by to hit the right note with which sounds very plausible to this non player...
*snicker* some years later, my son confessed that he chose the trombone in that grade 6 band class 'cause he thought it would be the easiest one to play.
Old 02-01-2020, 07:03 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by STDragon View Post
Specifically, today I built a jig to hold and old adjustable work table surface straight so I could clamp a glue up project. The glue up project was a simple shelf with edging that now holds a small network switch and power adapter, both firmly attached and ready for an under table mounting.

But really, what I'm up to is trying to elevate my skills. Learning to make more accurate cuts and joinery. I recently made a sled for my table saw and a new fence for my band saw. I've been working on making accurate bridal joints on the band saw (I read about the technique in a magazine). I'm also dressing and gluing up bits of hardwood to get more technical at that. Fooling around mostly until I decide on what project to start getting serious at.

One of things I do with my sober time.
All that will keep you busy for sure.
I never got into any technical joinery. If I can't glue it and screw it I can't do it. Lol
Old 02-01-2020, 09:45 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Hi weekenders
Sunday afternoon here and I’m glad I don’t have to go anywhere.
My partner has cooked a roast so I don’t even have to cook dinner! A lovely lazy afternoon after a hectic week is just what the doctor ordered

I hope you all have a good day