Notices

Please help me, I am so broken.

Old 01-27-2020, 05:36 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Perhaps don't look at this thing in terms of "battle" Jeff. I know that is how you have had to live your life up to this point but the fight has never served you well. You end up hurt and injured or someone else does. Perhaps for the first time in your life, surrender and walk away from the fight. Just admit this is one you aren't going to win and walk away from it. I had to admit that the booze won, and as soon as I did that and I knew the fight was over, it was easier to simply consider that part of my life done and move on down the road.
Old 01-27-2020, 05:43 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I know how hard it is to jump right back on that horse! For me that sucker keeps running! You need to make a plan without worrying about anyone but Jeff cause if he ain't right it's not gonna work.And stick to the plan. I always had to get a running start to get back on that horse! You can do this! We are with you!
Old 01-27-2020, 05:44 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Alright gang, I am getting sobered up. Gonna be a tough row to hoe, but I've got to get it done. "this too shall pass". I want to thank all of you for your words of encouragement and not judging me as a loser. You guys mean everything to me. Jeff
Old 01-27-2020, 05:47 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Great to hear that!
Old 01-27-2020, 05:47 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

ahhh, I'm going to shake, I'm going to sweat, I'm going to feel like my heart is beating out of my chest and I won't sleep for at least 30 hours. This will suck really bad.
Old 01-27-2020, 05:50 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Yeah but you have a lot to look forward to!
Old 01-27-2020, 05:53 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomls View Post
Yeah but you have a lot to look forward to!

I hate to admit this, but my wife has stayed home from work today, and if it get too bad we will go to detox.

I've never been to detox, can you folks share with me how it works and where to go? Thank you.
Old 01-27-2020, 05:53 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

That is great to hear Jeff.
Old 01-27-2020, 05:56 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

My guts are all tore up. This is not good.
Old 01-27-2020, 06:02 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Yeah your body quickly learns to just metabolize alcohol for its energy and it violently expels everything else as superfluous obstacles to more alcohol. Get to a detox if that is an option. It works differently for everyone. They might just send you home with meds or they might want you to stay for a few days. Until then drink water until you need to **** every 10 minutes and keep doing it. Flush flush flush. Also pick the one food, your favorite food on the planet, and start eating just that if no other food will do. Mine was watermelon and raspberries. I ate only those two things for several days when I quit.
Old 01-27-2020, 06:05 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Surrendered19 View Post
Yeah your body quickly learns to just metabolize alcohol for its energy and it violently expels everything else as superfluous obstacles to more alcohol. Get to a detox if that is an option. It works differently for everyone. They might just send you home with meds or they might want you to stay for a few days. Until then drink water until you need to **** every 10 minutes and keep doing it. Flush flush flush. Also pick the one food, your favorite food on the planet, and start eating just that if no other food will do. Mine was watermelon and raspberries. I ate only those two things for several days when I quit.
Love you man(or woman). totally love what you had to say.
Old 01-27-2020, 06:29 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
I've never been to detox, can you folks share with me how it works and where to go? Thank you.
I went to ( well, was taken to) the ER in my case. Basically they assess your physical condition and treat it accordingly. Sometimes they will give a med to stave off major WD symptoms.

I am sure there are specific drug/alcohol detox centers in your area too - but not all take walk-in patients, so call first. The ER is always an option.

I am glad your wife is willing to take the time to help you today.
Old 01-27-2020, 07:08 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Go to the ER now. NOW. It's early in MN so you are "ahead" of us EST people.

Yes, it sucks. It can suck a little less with help. Surrendered said it perfectly - give it up and let alcohol win. That ALSO means it is not only OK but DESIRABLE that you get ALL help you can.

Do it.
Old 01-27-2020, 07:09 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Jeff, I was in the ER 41 days ago. It saved my life. I walked in and was very transparent. Told them I was withdrawing from alcohol and was very honest on how much I was binging at the time. They took me back and put an IV in me and pumped me full of anti-withdrawal drugs for an hour. Then they sent me home with a week supply of Librium.

I tried to quit by tapering off but failed miserably. The withdrawals were too much to handle so I ended up drinking more. The one hour I spent at the hospital was so worth it. My withdrawals instantly stopped. I wish I would have done it sooner.
Old 01-27-2020, 07:20 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by VinnyMcM View Post
Jeff, I was in the ER 41 days ago. It saved my life. I walked in and was very transparent. Told them I was withdrawing from alcohol and was very honest on how much I was binging at the time. They took me back and put an IV in me and pumped me full of anti-withdrawal drugs for an hour. Then they sent me home with a week supply of Librium.

I tried to quit by tapering off but failed miserably. The withdrawals were too much to handle so I ended up drinking more. The one hour I spent at the hospital was so worth it. My withdrawals instantly stopped. I wish I would have done it sooner.
This is a really good share - and a reminder that the folks in ERs in particular have seen it all before, pretty much. Yeah, it's scary for us but falling into a passing wheelchair because of seizures, as happened to me when I was actually visiting a friend who just had a baby...fortuitous as it was, it getting to that point if we stay in the vicious cycle where you are, is betting against the house. Which always wins - one day.

Don't let it win today.
Old 01-27-2020, 07:34 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I was also in the ER just before Christmas. Tried to detox at home but started to get withdrawal symptoms on the severe side. I was having visual and auditory hallucinations. They administered benzodiazepines via IV and sent me home with a prescription for a few days. The medication helps you relax while the body adjusts to the absence of alcohol in your system. The insomnia and anxiety are taken out of the detox process. Something you should consider
Old 01-27-2020, 07:56 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Thomas, I couldn't quit drinking on my own either. I remember right where I was standing when I said to my wife, "I think I should go to the hospital." Getting to the hospital involved flying on a small plane in bad weather. They checked me out, gave me not one but two IV's for dehydration, and sent me to a no-cost detox.

My detox was not plush. There were four beds to a room, and they never turned off the lights. Food came from the jail next door. But I was medicated and in the company of others who were dealing with the same thing. It was a life-changing experience.

Please get help, Thomas!
Old 01-27-2020, 08:55 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Adventurer

I hope you made it to the ER for detox. I Wound up in the ER January 2015 drunk and full of Xanex. They took care of me until I was able to be taken home by my wife. If I had not gotten to the ER I would probably be dead.

The Dr's and Nurses have seen this a lot unfortunately and they know how to help.
Old 01-27-2020, 12:23 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Jeff, in response to your question regarding detox, it is really nothing to get worked up about.
I've been three times.
The first time was when I went to rehab for the first time. I was drinking on average 3-4 bottles of wine a day. They got me started right away with fluids, vitamins and benzos. I had an IV three times a day for about two weeks and took pills in addition to this. This was supported by a specifically formulated meal plan that I was required to at least try to eat.
The second detox was in rehab again. It was the same place I went to before so they knew me. This time they went quicker and lighter with the meds and IVs.
The most recent time was in the ER when I purposely overdosed on pills and alcohol. I thought I would die, as was my intention, but I thankfully woke up the next morning and called for an ambulance.
This time, due to the pills in my system they just gave me fluids via IV. They called it "washing my blood" They gave me an IV of simple fluids (no drugs, benzos) about five times a day to "wash" my blood and clean out all the alcohol and pills. When I arrived at the hospital I was hallucinating- both auditory and visual, I could think in Italian but could not speak a word of it, though English came out completely naturally and fluently. I could not walk and could barely even crawl. I could only scoot myself across the floor like a snake to open the door for the ambulance. Simply getting the fluids was enough to turn all this around. I felt miraculously better after even just one or two IVs. I returned to speaking in Italian, no hallucinations, I could slowly walk again.
Then I was able to stay in a bed for a few days with people taking care of me and meals delivered to me and not worry about a thing.
When you need it, you need it.
Old 01-27-2020, 12:48 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

your damn right.

Perhaps for the first time in your life, surrender and walk away from the fight. Just admit this is one you aren't going to win and walk away from it.