Notices

Finally seen the light or brown stuff has hit the fan.

Old 01-28-2020, 07:32 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

congratulations on day 5 cynix

D
Old 01-29-2020, 10:26 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Cynix: Are you hydrating, hydrating, hydrating? Over my first 10 days to 2 weeks, no amount of water and herbal teas seemed enough to fully hydrate me, and even now, at 28 days, I'm still hydrating way more than pre-sobriety period., without slaking my thirst. Something to consider.

Other than that? Are things going well?

Sleep going better than it was?
Old 01-29-2020, 10:36 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Agree with jr67. Hydration is so important. Water is life.

Hope you are doing well Cynix.
Old 01-29-2020, 10:52 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hello,

Yes probably should drink more water instead of caffeine anxiety has mostly gone certainly better than first few days, i think it's the waiting for blood tests and head scan pushing it up a bit.

Struggling to get to sleep but once i do get to sleep usually around 3am i do sleep 7 or 8 hrs luckily doctor signed me off work.

Thanks for your support mesns a lot.
Old 01-29-2020, 11:15 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cynix View Post
Hello,

Yes probably should drink more water instead of caffeine anxiety has mostly gone certainly better than first few days, i think it's the waiting for blood tests and head scan pushing it up a bit.

Struggling to get to sleep but once i do get to sleep usually around 3am i do sleep 7 or 8 hrs luckily doctor signed me off work.

Thanks for your support mesns a lot.
Hello again.

In my case, it has been water *and* caffeine, even though, you are right, the public-health messages out there tend to suggest cutting back on caffeine. I stop the caffeine by 2 or 3 in the afternoon so it doesn't interfere with my sleep. (I have been having irregular sleep the past 3 weeks but I think it's the brain adapting to the absence of its regular ethanol immersion after all these years; I don't think it's the caffeine from earlier in the day.) Standard caveat: Each of us is different, so take all suggestions with a grain of salt (figuratively speaking, because most people eat too much salt).

Anyway I'm not trying to give medical advice, and lucky for you, you seem to have good medical support.

But I am promoting just good old hydrating, yes. I do lots of tap water during the day, after dinner I tend towards different herbal teas instead of the former additional glass(es) of wine or topping off the scotch or gin or bourbon. I have discovered (diet) ginger beer, which is like ginger ale, but a little less sugary tasting, and more gingery tasting with a slight bite that I like.

Oh yeah, the ginger made me think of ginger. Actually, my husband, who does more of the cooking chez nous, said why don't I try a simple ginger tea so I did and it was good.

For a quart or so of ginger tea:

Take maybe 2 to 3 inches of ginger root. Slice it very thin. (How handy are you around the kitchen? Don't cut your fingers.)
Bring a quart of water to the boil.
Add the ginger to the water, turn down heat to low so it roils for a few minutes, then allow the ginger to steep.
Taste it, If too strong, add water. If too weak, add some more sliced ginger root and let it soak some more.

Thanks for reminding me, I'm going to go make some more right now if I can slip out from under these two snoring pups on top of me on top of my couch.

How long are you off work, if you don't mind my asking? (up to you whether to answer). I am self-employed with a flexible schedule, and for these 28 days of sobriety I have reveled in that flexibility, sleeping all sorts of irregular hours, and getting in at least the minimum required workywork at one time or another.
Old 01-29-2020, 11:33 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Waiting on test results can be anxiety provoking Cynix. I always leap to worse case scenarios, but to date have always been proven incorrect. Don't want to test my luck though.

I'm glad the anxiety is lessening, and really glad you have decided to stop drinking. Me too. A fool's errand, hey?

Until the tests results are ready try stay within the day, and hold firm the belief that everything is going to be ok. And if not, you'll deal with it. Life on life's terms. Way to go. That's how I try to run my race now. We can do it.

Congrats on getting sober Cynix. Best thing you could have ever done for yourself. And I'm 45 days sober today. It is so much better.