Notices

PAWS? Oh no...

Old 01-26-2020, 01:13 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I went through a horrible time emotionally after about 4 weeks of sobriety...I'm sure it was PAWS. Thanks to this site I'm aware of PAWS and I was able to get through it. I can see how it could cause someone to go back to drinking if they weren't aware. I'm sure there will be challenging periods over the next year or two. I've read PAWS can last up to two years.
Old 01-26-2020, 01:28 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

First off, It's hard for anyone to mention feelings along the lines of "Irritable, Restless and Discontented" without it attracting the notice of AAs since their program is designed to provide relief from those specific feelings.
that may be so - especially for those with an AA background - but I appreciate those who've made the effort.

Those who haven't have had posts removed.

For those who can;t follow my reasoning, I made the ruling because I didn't think it was fair for the OP - who is a newbie here - to have his thread hijacked by the same old 1930s thinking for and against argument.

I wanted to go the easy hands off gentle way but folks kept posting.

Its not rocket science guys - no recovery method debates.

ps any personal critiques of my admin style - send me a PM.

Dee
Administrator
SR
Old 01-26-2020, 01:43 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

now...Can we save this thread? Last in Line - how are you doing?

D
Old 01-26-2020, 01:43 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Wait (don't), until you 'experience' benzodiazapine PAWS.....

When asked what was the meaning of life, Albert Camus said, "the thing you are doing (now) that stops you from killing yourself."

But I wasn't laughing then, that's for sure.

Still recovering nearly 11 months free.
Old 01-26-2020, 03:39 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Pink clouds... Well, I don't think anything I am feeling yet is a pink cloud. More like a sunny spring day. It seems to be like that every morning. No spring or sun needed. I wake up, get my coffee, and feel all upbeat. Something which NEVER happened when I was drinking. I either woke up irritable as hell, tired, and general feeling of malaise, in a deep brain fog. Or... well, that was pretty much it. Until 5 PM rolled around. Then it was magical beer time, which of course solved all the world's problems with just the first 3 empty green bottles (just for starters), until the next day when everything turned back into crap again.

Now, I guess it's all pink clouds like in the morning, but as soon as it starts to get dark outside, which interestingly right now coincides pretty much with beer o'clock, pinks cloud rapidly disintegrate into dark and dreary clouds. Every day. It does seem to be getting very gradually better. It's almost like I just want to go to sleep early so morning will come back again. I do feel some hope though. The PAWS thing, I read up some more, thanks for the links everyone, seems to make a lot of sense. I can definitely endure a few more months of this if I have to.
Old 01-26-2020, 03:49 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LastInLine View Post
Pink clouds... Well, I don't think anything I am feeling yet is a pink cloud. More like a sunny spring day. It seems to be like that every morning. No spring or sun needed. I wake up, get my coffee, and feel all upbeat. Something which NEVER happened when I was drinking. I either woke up irritable as hell, tired, and general feeling of malaise, in a deep brain fog. Or... well, that was pretty much it. Until 5 PM rolled around. Then it was magical beer time, which of course solved all the world's problems with just the first 3 empty green bottles (just for starters), until the next day when everything turned back into crap again.

Now, I guess it's all pink clouds like in the morning, but as soon as it starts to get dark outside, which interestingly right now coincides pretty much with beer o'clock, pinks cloud rapidly disintegrate into dark and dreary clouds. Every day. It does seem to be getting very gradually better. It's almost like I just want to go to sleep early so morning will come back again. I do feel some hope though. The PAWS thing, I read up some more, thanks for the links everyone, seems to make a lot of sense. I can definitely endure a few more months of this if I have to.
I have done this a couple times. Not a thing wrong with it.

Keep on keepin on
Old 01-26-2020, 03:53 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Administrator

Things can and will get better, Last In Line.
Night was hard for me too, but it got easier, with time

D
Old 01-26-2020, 04:06 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Last, that is such a beautiful way to describe the kind of days I mean by a life filled with pink. And the nighttime stuff...literally, figuratively, emotionally - that was indeed an intense process for me, too. Like Dee just said (and notably, he has about 3x longer in sobriety than I do, I believe) some nights are tough. Realizing that more of my days would be the kind you and I are describing in slightly different ways was essential to keeping hope that the path I got on was going the right way.

Keep going.
Old 01-26-2020, 04:08 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Oh gosh! I just saw that comment from fish - YES. Actually, I told my husband a couple hours ago that while I was enjoying our day, it is one of those where I'm eager for a reasonable bedtime as being able to take my sleep meds and hopefully rest will be the only real solution for the kind of headache I have had all day. It's something I go thru more often than most, I think, but it just...is.

And in early sobriety, the "Send Myself to bed Early" technique, as I called it, was a big tool.
Old 01-26-2020, 04:10 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Glad you are still here LastInLine. This entire helpful thread, that has caused us all to think and reflect, so brilliantly illustrates the deception and mystery of addiction. We all want to understand this thing, and so we start to throw words at it to define it, and some words mean different things to different people, and then we are in some sort of word soup and all bouncing off each other. Thank goodness for the moderators. Dee and Anna keep it all real for us. I hope you are well today LIL.
Old 01-27-2020, 09:28 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Adventurer

I was in a similar situation, leaning about PAWS a few months after I quit drinking. Obviously the major symptoms settled down within a few weeks of quitting but it was the subtle ones that kept on for a while. I would have good days and bad day with blah days in between. I would say for me it was a good 16-24 months after I quit that I really felt like I could say I felt normal. Every day sober is a blessing now and I cant stress enough how good you can feel.
Old 01-30-2020, 08:56 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

It took me about 100 days until I felt that stuff dissipating, it’s been over a year now and it still comes and goes sometimes.