Notices

My new planned quit date - 1st February

Old 01-24-2020, 06:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My new planned quit date - 1st February

Currently I am not feeling particularly confident.
Old 01-24-2020, 06:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Why the planned date? That just allows you more time to feed the addiction.
Old 01-24-2020, 06:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think the prime determinant should be willingness to change and work hard - not confidence.

Honestly If I waited til I felt confident I might still be drinking
Start today man.

D
Old 01-24-2020, 07:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cantsleep123 View Post
Why the planned date? That just allows you more time to feed the addiction.
A few days in the context of drinking for decades isn't going to matter very much.
Old 01-24-2020, 07:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I had a bunch of those planned dates, but it never happened. I would just get there and say 'nope, can't do it today, maybe next week'.

Not saying it won't work, but didn't work for me. I just had to go home from work one day and not stop for beer, knowing that there was none in my house. Then the next day came and I didn't go for beer again. And same thing the next day.

I wasn't confident either, just determined.

You can definitely do it.
Old 01-24-2020, 07:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Nothing will serve you and your life better than quitting. Problem with quitting tomorrow (or 8 days from now) is that tomorrow never comes.
Old 01-24-2020, 07:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
ZIP

Originally Posted by sortofhomecomin View Post
A few days in the context of drinking for decades isn't going to matter very much.
Well, I wish you success on the first. Regardless of when you decide to go AF...it requires commitment and effort. Let us know how you're doing.
Old 01-24-2020, 07:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I never had a planned start date but have had tons of days that I woke up in the morning and said no more, only to be right back at it sometimes even the same day.

I'm only at two weeks, but the only way I managed to make it this far was to spill my guts out and let go of the stress, anxiety, and guilt that was keeping me down. SR provided a venue for doing that.
Old 01-24-2020, 07:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
ZIP

Originally Posted by Cityboy View Post
I never had a planned start date but have had tons of days that I woke up in the morning and said no more, only to be right back at it sometimes even the same day.

I'm only at two weeks, but the only way I managed to make it this far was to spill my guts out and let go of the stress, anxiety, and guilt that was keeping me down. SR provided a venue for doing that.
Nice. Well said. Congratulations on the 2 weeks.
Old 01-24-2020, 07:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

you say that but you don't know where another week of drinking will take you, or what the withdrawal after will be like.

Kindling means things get worse - 20 years of safe detoxing is no longer a given.

Sure the odds are you'll be ok, but no one can really expect catastrophe.

DUIs and other car accidents, injuries to yourself or other people, seizures, heart attacks, aneurysms, strokes...sometimes even death..

I know people from this very website who took that dice roll and lost.

D
Old 01-24-2020, 07:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
nez

Take the flip side, a few days in the context of remaining sober for decades isn't going to matter very much so move the date up 8 days. I don't know about you, but I couldn't work myself up to quitting. That was just a delusional pipe dream for me. I couldn't quit in the future. I could only quit in the present. I could only quit now.
Old 01-24-2020, 08:00 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
EndGame

You don't know that.
Old 01-24-2020, 08:03 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The problem of drinking for 'just a few more days' is that you don't know what might happen during those drinking sessions. As Dee said, you could have an accident or seizure, or worse. Why put it off? Start now and avoid the possibilities of something bad happening.
Old 01-24-2020, 08:08 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Maybe think of it this way...If you quit now, you will be over the worst withdrawal symptoms by February first. You will already be past what you would be going through if you wait. Just a thought.
Old 01-24-2020, 11:08 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
you say that but you don't know where another week of drinking will take you, or what the withdrawal after will be like.

Kindling means things get worse - 20 years of safe detoxing is no longer a given.

Sure the odds are you'll be ok, but no one can really expect catastrophe.

DUIs and other car accidents, injuries to yourself or other people, seizures, heart attacks, aneurysms, strokes...sometimes even death..

I know people from this very website who took that dice roll and lost.

D
I can give you the non catastrophic version too, or maybe the no apparent catastrophe version..

In 2004, trying to stay sober, I thought I'd go to my high school reunion and drink a little, get right back in the horse the next day, right?

It was 2007 before I stopped drinking again, and I drank each and every day of that period, sun up to bedtime unless I was too poor or too sick too.

That was an outcome I didn't see coming on that Saturday night - but I started living it on the Sunday.

D
Old 01-24-2020, 11:14 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I'm not sure what confidence has to do with this, but if you are posting now you should do it now.
Old 01-25-2020, 03:22 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

The best day to quit is today! That date I would have tried to stop never came until I took action then and now. Good luck!
Old 01-25-2020, 03:29 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Reid82 View Post
The best day to quit is today! That date I would have tried to stop never came until I took action then and now. Good luck!
Without a doubt! Quit dates never worked for me.
This time I said I would quit once I ran out of beer, again. Got tired of it and dumped the last 7 out and haven't looked back.
Old 01-25-2020, 04:46 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Respectfully, I disagree. It's about when we quit, not how long we've been drinking - each day matters. Like many, I quit on the completely random day I'd decided I'd had enough. Today's your best day.
Old 01-25-2020, 05:27 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

If I had known that was gonna be my last drink I woulda had another one!

I went to a meeting on my lawyer's advice and I didn't drink that night. I didn't really know what I was going to do in the long term. I didn't drink the night after that or the night after that and so forth. I was going to 6 meetings a week and within a few weeks it was more of a habbit not to drink.