Notices

My new planned quit date - 1st February

Old 01-25-2020, 09:24 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HeadEast View Post
For what it's worth sortofhomecomin, I really didn't pay much attention to your comment here. I was flooded with every emotion possible as I approached my stop date, which in my case was a couple of days. I might have said the same thing. I especially like Bimini's post and what Scott said: "but many times the advice we least want to hear is what we need to hear the most."

I hope you stay with us!

By the way, if you ever are considering a career change, please go into air traffic control. Your attitude is exactly what we need. Best wishes. You can do this!
Lol. My eyesight is too poor for anything in aviation though when I was a kid I did dream of being a pilot. Probably as well off that never happened given my drinking, lol. Did you see that movie Flight?
Old 01-25-2020, 09:52 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sortofhomecomin View Post
Lol. My eyesight is too poor for anything in aviation though when I was a kid I did dream of being a pilot. Probably as well off that never happened given my drinking, lol. Did you see that movie Flight?
I have not seen the movie, but I will watch it. Eyesight has ruined many people's career in aviation. If you are bored, google "777X first flight" which occurred today. The aircraft has wing tips that fold up so it can fit into more gates at airports.
Old 01-26-2020, 05:51 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

No, I don't. And neither do you. So, let's cut the ********, shall we? Same applies to the rest of youse, frankly.
Wait...what? I'm not sure I read this right - are you saying that we don't know where getting sober will take us? Cuz that may be true but the point of saying that is that one thing is true: it will be better than anywhere we go drunk.

Fact.
Old 01-26-2020, 05:51 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

PS "Flight" is a PERFECT example of where addiction can take us, even when we literally KNOW everything is on the line.
Old 01-26-2020, 07:53 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Currently I am not feeling particularly confident.
Me either. Not with a quit date days away. Why not do it now? Just sayin.
Old 01-26-2020, 08:01 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

A few days in the context of drinking for decades isn't going to matter very much.
You can say what you want but I know for a fact that you know that is not true. You and I and most on this board know that what that means is that you will not quit today... and will not quit tomorrow, and probably wont quit on the first. The day you quit is the day you say yesterday is my last day of drinking. Today I will not drink. Sincerely all the best to you. Come on over to the other side. Its much nicer over here.
Old 01-26-2020, 08:44 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
Wait...what? I'm not sure I read this right - are you saying that we don't know where getting sober will take us? Cuz that may be true but the point of saying that is that one thing is true: it will be better than anywhere we go drunk.

Fact.
August, if you read later on in the thread I apologised for going off on one.
Old 01-26-2020, 09:20 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

hi sortof

good luck on your journey
we all have our own steps to take
routes to get there

i support you
Old 01-26-2020, 09:42 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sober45 View Post
Going out on a limb here but this thread is making me a little anxious. I don’t believe anyone really knows what will work for someone else. I had many epiphanies over the years where I quit on the spot but it never stuck. This time I picked a quit date a couple weeks in advance. I used the time leading up to it to get mentally prepared and to think about how I would use my
time when sober. This is the second longest time I’ve gone without a drink in many years. Idk maybe I’m the odd one out
My $0.02 on this is that we don't indeed nor exactly know what will work for anyone else. What we do know is that the choice to keep drinking won't be good. So however we can share our ESH (experience, strength and hope) as AA calls it, and other programs have their versions of this - that's what matters. At the end of the day, "it keeps getting better" means we have a chance at life.
Old 01-26-2020, 09:43 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Missed that somehow, apologies.
Old 01-26-2020, 10:12 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
Missed that somehow, apologies.
No worries my friend.
Old 01-26-2020, 10:23 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

So, sortofhomecomin, are you tapering down in these next five days? What's your plan?
Old 01-26-2020, 10:49 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Tapering and gearing myself up has worked for me occassionally, and frankly it's often felt like I had to. I just think people were reflecting what's true for most people, including me, that it's very difficult to do for most people with addictive personalities. Plus, if it's safe to do, it's better to get the mental and physical anguish done as quickly - weaning off is still very unpleasant.
Old 01-26-2020, 10:58 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
So, sortofhomecomin, are you tapering down in these next five days?
No, I have high tolerance. Even when I was in rehab in 2018 I felt I didn't need the librium after 2 or 3 days. In 2013 I just stopped cold turkey. Other peoples mileage may differ. I wouldn't recommend to anyone drinking the amount that I do and have done either in my life in totality or, recently, on a day to day basis.

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
What's your plan?
I sent you a PM.
Old 01-26-2020, 11:07 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PeaceManic View Post
Tapering and gearing myself up has worked for me occassionally, and frankly it's often felt like I had to. I just think people were reflecting what's true for most people, including me, that it's very difficult to do for most people with addictive personalities. Plus, if it's safe to do, it's better to get the mental and physical anguish done as quickly - weaning off is still very unpleasant.
Yes points taken, PeaceManic. I'm pretty sure tapering down wouldn't work for me personally, I'm either on or off.
Old 01-28-2020, 05:21 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Tick, tock.

Guys and girls, I'm a Paddy. If you think I can't beat this disease, you underestimate me, is all I'm saying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8BtB4C3Vi8

"I, I will begin again."

And even if I fail again, then to quote Sam Beckett, then fail again. Fail better.
Old 01-28-2020, 05:49 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Tick, tock.

Guys and girls, I'm a Paddy. If you think I can't beat this disease, you underestimate me, is all I'm saying.

"I, I will begin again."

And even if I fail again, then to quote Sam Beckett, then fail again. Fail better.
Thanks for that song. You made my night. My support to you. Always.
Old 01-28-2020, 06:17 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Reminds me of a sign in a bar I used to attempt destroying myself in... "Free drinks will be served tomorrow..."

I get it. If you can pull it off great - but you should realize that 'planning to quit' is a significant and common sign of the underlying issues that land us in the shitstorm to begin with....

Get to AA and read the book. Even if you don't believe in God and hate the experience there's a ton to learn about the underlying behaviors that go beyond just drinking. Learning to spot self-sabotaging behavior is important for long term recovery.

Quit. You won't regret it. Don't overthink at the start. Just don't drink for awhile - things will start to happen that will show you the way all on their own. In the beginning your only job is to simply stay sober - it is most definitely NOT trying to control all the circumstances surrounding it. Let go. Do your job. Stay sober.

Best to you-

-B
Old 01-28-2020, 06:20 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Tick, tock.

"I, I will begin again."

Double post but uh... I really like the spunk and attitude - it's good to have some fire in the belly to get some traction with this thing called sobriety.

-B
Old 01-28-2020, 10:57 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Eep. Tick tock gave me the tinglies. Not in a great way.

I hope it means...you're ready! It's early Wed am here 1/29...so you couuuuld go ahead and start today. Just sayin' - first sober wkd and all could start now.

Stick around, whatever you do - there's no judgment in anything I say, btw, just hope and concern that you find the best life you can, which I bet is sober.