Notices

Second session

Old 01-24-2020, 10:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Second session

Just got back from my second session with psychologist. He's got a pretty accurate picture of my parental relationship, so today he delved into the relationship with my brother (5 yrs younger than me). It got me a bit worked up. And he sensed it.

I break it down like this, the first and second session is basically me having diarrhea of the mouth. He wants a full picture before he starts doing any assessing etc....So I obliged. But at the end of this session I looked him straight in the eye and said, I can sit here and blab all day about my life, but I want to know how you are going to crack this nut. (the nut being me). He informed me that the 3rd session is where is starts to gameplan. So I'm on board with his plan.

ps. He did tell me he has never had a patient quite like me. For example, he's never had a patient tell him our plane got busted with 400 lbs of marijuana in it, or he's never had a patient tell him his friend got busted with $1.4 million in cash in his wall. Or a patient tell him that a hockey bag containing 800K in cash in on their living room floor from a brinks truck heist and they don't know what to do with it.

But you know what....everyone tells me to be totally honest with the guy, so I am. I trust this community knows way more than me.
Old 01-24-2020, 10:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
Just got back from my second session with psychologist. He's got a pretty accurate picture of my parental relationship, so today he delved into the relationship with my brother (5 yrs younger than me). It got me a bit worked up. And he sensed it.

I break it down like this, the first and second session is basically me having diarrhea of the mouth. He wants a full picture before he starts doing any assessing etc....So I obliged. But at the end of this session I looked him straight in the eye and said, I can sit here and blab all day about my life, but I want to know how you are going to crack this nut. (the nut being me). He informed me that the 3rd session is where is starts to gameplan. So I'm on board with his plan.

ps. He did tell me he has never had a patient quite like me. For example, he's never had a patient tell him our plane got busted with 400 lbs of marijuana in it, or he's never had a patient tell him his friend got busted with $1.4 million in cash in his wall. Or a patient tell him that a hockey bag containing 800K in cash in on their living room floor from a brinks truck heist and they don't know what to do with it.

But you know what....everyone tells me to be totally honest with the guy, so I am. I trust this community knows way more than me.
Glad you are getting it all out there Jeff. Also remember that part of getting better is indeed doing just that - getting the issues out of your head and in the open. So in a sense you are already moving towards the solution

One of the misconceptions/mistakes that I had when I first sought counseling was that the therapist was going to give me a list of steps, or a technique, or a pill that would fix me - or "crack the nut" as you state. Turns out that the process is an ongoing one, and it's not like having surgery or curing an infection where there is a finite beginning and end. And most of the work is done by the patient, not the doctor, when it comes to mental health.

Sounds like you are comfortable enough to share all this with your counselor too - that is good to hear.
Old 01-24-2020, 10:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Tell him everything Jeff. The good, the bad and the ugly. Unless you tell him about some future crime you are planning that will hurt someone, he is bound by the rules of his profession to keep your conversations completely privileged and confidential. There is nothing to be gained by holding anything back.
Old 01-24-2020, 10:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Surrendered19 View Post
Tell him everything Jeff. The good, the bad and the ugly. Unless you tell him about some future crime you are planning that will hurt someone, he is bound by the rules of his profession to keep your conversations completely privileged and confidential. There is nothing to be gained by holding anything back.
That really isn't true everywhere.

Caution and education, I'd say:

I definitely would consult an attorney before discussing past crimes with a therapist, in some states/jurisdictions they have to report some or all crimes.

Also, talking about it online would not be something I would do...this forum is viewable by anyone with an internet connection and I would assume your real identity could be subpoenaed. I was on another forum where members and the forum site owner were subpoenaed in the U.S. to testify in another country and had to respond costing them lost wages and money for attorneys all because of a forum thread.
Old 01-24-2020, 10:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Jeff, I'm glad things are moving along and I'm sure you're interested in hearing what the therapist has to say during your next session.
Old 01-24-2020, 10:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

What I said is in line with that caution biminiblue, but Jeff if you have any hesitancy about what you talk with your medical providers about, you should definitely look into that on your own. I don't worry about it when I am talking to my therapist. Future crimes is the caution that therapists must take into account, but again the rules of the forum dictate that you should get your own legal advice on that.
Old 01-24-2020, 10:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

So where exactly is this house with 1.5 million in the wall located? Not that I am planning a trip or would be in the neighborhood at all haha.
Old 01-24-2020, 11:04 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Did you tell him about your alcoholic drinking?
Old 01-24-2020, 11:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You remembered, DontRemember.

Did you Jeff, or only the 'sexy' stuff?
Old 01-24-2020, 11:20 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DontRemember View Post
Did you tell him about your alcoholic drinking?
Yes, he knows.
Old 01-24-2020, 11:23 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I trust this community knows way more than me.
You are just a plain old garden variety alcoholic. Nothing special, nothing new.

Good luck with the therapy 👍
Old 01-24-2020, 11:25 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Uhh I would not have told them you currently have almost a million $$ of stolen cash. They do not have to keep major crimes a secret. The other stuff that you or friends already got busted for are probably safe to disclose. Good luck man.
Old 01-24-2020, 11:28 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yes, he knows.
That's good. Hard,if not impossible, to 'fix something' when a vital detail is omitted.
Old 01-24-2020, 11:31 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

We should all trust Jeff to determine what to tell his therapist and what not to. If you are afraid Jeff that something you tell your therapist could get you in trouble, ask your therapist about that.
Old 01-24-2020, 11:37 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Many of us are just that. A garden variety. We
just didnt know it until we became completely
honest.

Glad to read your progress and an interesting
lesson to learn from.

Good Job..!!!
Old 01-24-2020, 11:45 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Derringer View Post
You are just a plain old garden variety alcoholic. Nothing special, nothing new.

Good luck with the therapy 👍
Not sure I agree with your assessment but you are entitled to it.
Old 01-24-2020, 11:47 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cantsleep123 View Post
Uhh I would not have told them you currently have almost a million $$ of stolen cash. They do not have to keep major crimes a secret. The other stuff that you or friends already got busted for are probably safe to disclose. Good luck man.
Sorry for the confusion, but all who were involved with the heist are currently in prison and all cash was recovered. We (our crew) had nothing to do with it, so we weren't in any kind of trouble.
Old 01-24-2020, 11:52 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

To all of you concerned that I am still in some kind of trouble. I am not, or I would not talk about it. It has been my experience that the higher up in crime you might be, the closer to the "cops" you are. I know for a fact that I am not in trouble. I'll leave you with this story, the Chief of Police in this particular town was on our plane which was transporting 4 kilos of cocaine from Miami. Let's drop the subject. If you want to keep digging, PM me.
Old 01-24-2020, 11:53 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Glad you feel comfortable with your therapist Jeff. When is your third appointment?
Old 01-24-2020, 12:03 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Delilah1 View Post
Glad you feel comfortable with your therapist Jeff. When is your third appointment?
Next Friday.