Notices

Day 5, back after a hard fall and sad

Old 01-21-2020, 05:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 5, back after a hard fall and sad

Hi SR fam,
I’ve crashed and burned these last several months and am back with 5 days sober today. It was so bizarre, I was healthier and more sober all 2019 then a couple ****** times got me back up to my old habits. This time the bottoms where my worst while the actual times of drinking have been the least. I quit a job, got fired from a job and the blackouts had me doing things I never would of before my sobriety stretches. I am sitting her sad and bewildered. Ready to rededicate to my program and any encouragement would be so appreciated. 😔
Old 01-21-2020, 05:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear about your slip and job issues, but glad to have you on board.
Old 01-21-2020, 06:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you, glad to be onboard.
Old 01-21-2020, 06:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you made it back MissOverIt
do you have a plan now for when things aren't going great?

D
Old 01-21-2020, 06:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey D,
Yes and building on it! A big difference this year is that I’ve been making sober connections and reached out to them after I crashed. It’s helped me a lot get back on my feet fast and want to stay there. 🥰
Old 01-21-2020, 06:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I'm so sorry for the painful time you've been through, MissOverIt.

The last time I went back out after being sober for a while was worse than ever. I I had absolutely no control. I was reckless & self-destructive. But something good came out of it. I was finally convinced I could never touch a drop. I couldn't trust myself once it was in my system. Dangerous things would happen. That was the last time I ever tried to be a social drinker. I've been sober ever since - 12 years. I wish we didn't need to learn this lesson more than once - but some of us do. Congratulations on your 5 sober days. Here's where the misery can end.
Old 01-21-2020, 06:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I can see that, thank you. It was terrifying how out of control it instantly became- a definite sign that I will never be able to drink safely and I’m relieved to give up the hope.
Old 01-21-2020, 06:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi MissOverit.

Slipping back into the madness sucks 😣

Have you noticed that all the people who got sober using SR and now have years of sobriety are still here ?

If SR was a source of sober power for you, did you disconnect ?

Like, get up and running .... Woohoo I got this now, thanks everyone but too busy building my great new IRL sobriety and then WHALLOP
Old 01-21-2020, 06:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Haha, yes and no. I always visit but posted less. It will be a daily thing again.
Old 01-21-2020, 06:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi MissOverIt. I am new here living in Day 62 after losing 30+ years to drinking. I'm constantly intrigued by people with long term sobriety who end up falling back into drinking. It scares me so much. That is why I really appreciate you posting. Tell me what to watch out for. I was so far down the road towards being dead that the daily physical rewards of sobriety are still incredibly motivating. But I know it's not that simple. And please don't be sad. Things will look up. For my first two weeks I also had an overwhelming bewilderment and just sat stunned. Again, thank you for being here to help people like me.
Old 01-21-2020, 07:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome back!
Old 01-21-2020, 07:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

I am 100% on board that we ex drunks have to group up. Mob mentality.

Helping each other. If I venture out on my own, I am asking for a worse relapse than you described for sure.

I would not survive recovery from a deeper hell than I just crawled out of.

I need to make my way back to my AA gang and get on board with some barbeques etc.

My mental weakness or whatever it is has been showing through lately.

I never allowed myself to develop coping mechanisms for various adult occurrences. I was drunk too much.

I caught a little cold last week, would have probably been a full blown pneumonia if I was drinking .

The fever and sinus pressure sent me into places I have never felt before. I have never been this clean with entry level pneumonia.

I was ready to quit my job. I thought about so many reasons to quit and I still might. But, the bottom line is folks like me at work. I am smart and nice. If I quit out of the blue, folks would think I am angry or something.

I am not angry, I just want to spend more time taking care of me and not working for the man.

Health is wealth. You can't take it with you. Die with 10 million in the bank. Why?

Not that I have that, but the concept makes more sense when using a bigger number.

Stuff like that.

Every day is a new day. I have never been 55, this clean, and still getting stronger.

Thanks.
Old 01-21-2020, 07:35 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

My recent relapses were way worse than the ones before. It’s definitely a progressive disease. Each time we lose more and more, only gaining the shame. Still hard to accept never again because the addiction is such a lie. For now day by day.
Old 01-21-2020, 08:27 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
ZIP

Originally Posted by MissOverIt View Post
I can see that, thank you. It was terrifying how out of control it instantly became- a definite sign that I will never be able to drink safely and I’m relieved to give up the hope.
​​​​​​
Good for you! It''s time, eh?
I will offer this from my past, if I may: I have been in outpatient clinical programs, tons of AA meetings, and a few addiction related forums. I have never met one person involved in any of those venues that became successful in moderating alcohol consumption. With sobriety, one has to be all in.
Best wishes to you.
Old 01-21-2020, 09:53 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I am Day 15. I once, years ago, quit for 13 years. About 4 years ago quit for 6 months. As noted by others, each time I have gone back to drinking, it has been worse, much much worse. This was the first time I could not do it on my own, no matter how long and hard I tried, had to go to detox.

So, kudos to you for getting right back to working on a plan, going back to people and places where you can find support. You sound so ready to be done with drinking, and I know you can do it. I’m ne to posting here, but the support on this site is awesome. I know for me, now, checking here daily, whether I post or not, is a great way to stay grounded.
Old 01-21-2020, 09:54 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I completely understand the bewilderment and sadness Miss.

I did things in my blackout states that I was so horrified by, mainly because of the danger I was beginning to put myself in, questionable situations with questionable people. I could no longer look at myself in the mirror anymore...I was so ashamed. But the good news is, that you don't have to ever do that again. You don't. All you have to do is get out of your own way and let the Universe step into the driver's seat.

Re-evaluate your commitment to sobriety and try to work with others to see what they are doing in order to successfully stay sober. Latch on to those who have found the solution, because there is one.

I hope that you find peace, joy and freedom from any pain and sadness. It is all there for you, the good things. I am rooting for you.

Nic.
Old 01-21-2020, 11:56 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Glad you are back
Old 01-22-2020, 12:21 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

For an alcoholic it only gets worse never better. There is a solution 🙏
Old 01-22-2020, 04:32 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I'm sorry to hear you are having so much trouble. Keep trying. Sad as it seems you will have to quit drinking. But it only seems sad. The reality is, it is not sad.
Old 01-22-2020, 04:42 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Welcome back!
No matter how long we have sober, returning to drinking will always be worse and worse. I'd imagine even after 50 years abstinence, a return to drinking would result in binges and black outs even worse than any before.
Definitely stick close to this forum as a reminder of why you quit in the first place.