Notices

Weekends and vacations

Old 01-20-2020, 07:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Weekends and vacations

Hi everyone. I haven’t had a drink in a couple weeks now and am feeling great. However, I have a week off from work soon and that used to be the perfect excuse to basically turn every night into a party (even if that really meant downing beer after beer in front of the tv by myself).
Like many, vacations and weekends are triggers. In the past, I looked forward to these breaks because I could let my guard down and feel something different for a change. When the monotonous week finished or the busy fall term came to end I could simply buy some beer, drink it, and get tipsy, temporarily escaping the daily grind.
Of course that feeling never lasted. I’d chase it down over the course of a weekend or over a holiday, dealing with hangover after hangover and ultimately wasting nearly all my time off. I’d return to work with a sense of dread, having only hazy memories of what I actually did.
This isn’t my first time making it a couple weeks without booze (I’ve even gone for about a month three separate times) but each time my issue boils down boredom. Since I was little I have craved sensory stimulation (I used to literally spin around for hours in my parents living room) and drinking instantly satisfied that urge. Being sober means accepting the present and letting that craving go, but (at least in the early stages) it also means losing that easy escape.
Although I know my vacation will be infinitely better without the booze, I’m battling my unconscious a bit at the moment
Any suggestions?

Old 01-20-2020, 07:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Weekends and time off work were triggers for me too - but I stopped pulling the trigger

If I'm bored I find things to do - if I want to relax I have a list of things I can - exercise, favourite movies, books, hobbies, music.

Don't argue with your addiction - if it gets its way, it means self destruction for you. That can't be an option.

Its up to you not to let that happen

D
Old 01-20-2020, 09:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Wil

Hobbies is the answer. I started watching TV again, I am probably addicted to TV now, but I'm not drinking or popping pills. I seem to do tons of yard work now on my weekends. I enjoy cardio too, will slowly fall into a depression if I go too long without it. It just calms my mind and makes me feel content. I recently gave up politics, which really means I quit constantly checking the news sites to stay up with the latest news. I was bad addicted to that!! I have the addiction gene for damn sure!! I go at everything I enjoy with full force. I really liked drugs and alcohol and I went at them so damn hard for so damn long. Life is so much better without. I do think about drinking often, but I know I can't stop once I begin, and I will not screw up all my hard work.
Old 01-20-2020, 09:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I agree with Dee and Wil, hobbies and plans are the key to weekends and vacations, especially in early sobriety. Make a list of all the things you’d like to do, maybe some shows to watch, a home project or two. Vacation is when I usually organize something in the house. Over winter break I organized the hall closet, the kitchen cabinets and pantry, and the garage. Spring break I Ann determined to go through my closet, and force my teenagers to do the same.

Do you enjoy exercise? Maybe you can make a list of some hikes you’d like to do, or some classes you’d like to try out at the gym.

Do you enjoy reading? I usually hit the library in the beginning of vacations dn check out several books.

Any shoes you’ve been meaning to watch? Maybe you can find a series to watch on Netflix.

Plans with family or friends who are supportive of your sobriety is also a great way to spend some of your time.

Also, make sure to check in on here. You can use this thread or start a new one to
Post about how you are feeling, or to share all about your vacation activities.

You can do this, and vacation will be so much more enjoyable sober.
Old 01-21-2020, 02:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Samantha

I try to focus on being excited for other things. Painting, hitting the gym, cooking a lasagne, going to the park....doing things you don’t get to do when you work all the time!
Old 01-21-2020, 03:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Keeping busy is vital and maybe stay out of bars, etc when you're away/ off work too? Good luck!
Old 01-21-2020, 05:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Need sensory stimulation?
Jump out of an airplane! With a parachute of course.
Go hang gliding.
Hit some white water rapids in a canoe.

Just don't drink
Old 01-22-2020, 05:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks guys! First day of vacation was wonderful. Went on a beach walk and caught up with some friends. Woke up this morning feeling great. 👍
Old 01-23-2020, 04:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Awesome!
Old 01-23-2020, 06:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

If you need sensory stimulation, try something like rock climbing (there are indoor places where you can learn) or one of those places where you can get in a tube with big fans and simulate skydiving, or go to a shooting range if you're into that. Or just go to a cool museum or see a couple of action movies (1917 is a great movie that's out now and will give you plenty of sensory input!).

There are SO MANY ways to alleviate boredom when you are not drinking. And the money you are saving not drinking can pay for a lot of fun stuff to do!

And FWIW, I'm kind of like you are, and I used to get really antsy if I wasn't DOING SOMETHING. In sobriety, I have calmed way down, though, and I really dig just being able to sit and enjoy some quiet time. I think our brains adjust to not being bombarded with chemistry-altering substances all the time, and we can learn to feel at peace when there's not a lot going on around us.

Glad things are going well so far!
Old 01-23-2020, 10:23 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

264 days ago thats all my time off would of been a getting stewed fest. Accomplishing nothing but a drain on my bank account and try to figure how I did that. Geez really? It wasnt cause of booze was it? Riiiiight. Like other folks said there is always something you can do . you just have to do it. And you dont need booze to do it. ✌
Old 01-23-2020, 03:17 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freshout View Post
Thanks guys! First day of vacation was wonderful. Went on a beach walk and caught up with some friends. Woke up this morning feeling great. 👍

Nice one- well done!