Notices

Accidental drink. Shook it off

Old 01-20-2020, 05:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Accidental drink. Shook it off

Over the weekend I was in a rush and grabbed the wrong drink while leaving a social gathering. After the first swallow I recognized it had alcohol in the drink. I poured the rest of the drink out and water and drank it down real quick. I panicked for a few seconds and then focused on letting the feeling pass.

I waited in my car for a few minutes and fortunately, all I felt was a brief nausea for about a minute and then nothing. Then I continued on with the rest of my day with no more lingering affects.

I have a few months of recovery and what I realized was that I am sufficiently motivated to remain sober to the point that the accidental drink didn't derail me in any kind of way. What I also realized was that in the past, when I would say a drink "just happened" that my motivation was to feel intoxicated.

Had I taken an accidental drink during my drinking days, I would have kept going because deep down thats what I wanted. Not now. Now I am building a sober life and focused on that.

Heres to a good year for all of us.
Old 01-20-2020, 05:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
waking down

No harm no foul. Kudos...
Old 01-20-2020, 05:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good job not compounding your error

D
Old 01-20-2020, 06:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Fantastic work. I’m very impressed!
Old 01-20-2020, 06:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I'm glad you rose above that, ciowa. You're gaining strength & determination.
Old 01-20-2020, 06:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm glad your sobriety is strong.
Old 01-20-2020, 06:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Similar thing happened to me years ago, but it wasn't accidental. A 'friend' spiked my soft drink for a laugh. I spat it out when realising. I wasn't laughing.

I was attending AA at the time and talked to a real friend about it. She had many years sober.

She said, that as I did not have the intention to drink, all was good, and it was.

Well done though.
Old 01-21-2020, 02:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I don't have proof, but I've suspected that alcoholics have some tolerance, although very low, to consume a small quantity without resetting themselves back into their addiction. I have no idea where the exact tipping point is, and it probably varies for each person.

What does don't take that first drink actually mean? Is it what happened to you at the party, or does "taking the drink" mean the whole drink as in everything in the glass? I don't know, but I assume it means "don't play with fire." I have no personal desire to find out where my precise tipping point is. That sounds like the age old waste of time in hoping to perfect our ability to moderate.

I would advocate not having a mouthful, but actual accidents can happen, and spitting it out is the best thing to do, in my opinion. If you say, I didn't meant to do that, but since I did by accident, I should probably finish the drink, that would make me wonder just how accidental that first sip was. Knowing alcoholics, I believe we love to play mind games, and I think it's our biggest failure.
Old 01-21-2020, 03:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Good work on thinking that one out.
Old 01-21-2020, 03:19 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

It was a great spontaneous reaction!!
Old 01-21-2020, 04:39 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Good job - but I'd keep something in my hand at all times so this isn't an accidental happening. I was either with one, finishing one, or on my way to another throughout social situations for a long time. It's instinct now so never a thought.
Old 01-21-2020, 06:53 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Good job, I'm afraid that one sip would get me started! Glad you were able to just shake it off
Old 01-21-2020, 08:53 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

All about intention; I Smell every drink I ever buy or have bought for me and I do it automatically now. The best way of knowing if there’s alcohol in it before taking a sip. I get lots of drinks bought for me.
Old 01-22-2020, 10:41 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Keep pushing through Ciowa!!