Notices

One monkey gone, another on his way out

Old 01-19-2020, 01:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

One monkey gone, another on his way out

Ive been a lurker on this site for years. Weed was always my primary poison and love, drink less so, but drink affected my health more. I addressed my over drinking relatively successfully, long periods of abstinence, with periods of relatively moderate drinking inbetween. But never managed to quit the weed for longer than one five week period in twenty five years.

Finally finally I seem to have managed to quit the weed, probably around the three month mark now, the longest period of abstinence from weed in twenty six years. Don't miss it nearly as much as I thought I would.

I noticed that my drinking increased tho, still a relatively moderate amount, but most nights.

Im now a week off the drink. Definitely had a withdrawal to begin with, waking early, major sweats. Each evening has been an internal battle, re wether to nip to the shops for some wine... Resisted so far.

But Im surprised at how rough I feel. after a couple of relatively ' normal nights and mornings' I feel like I had another withdrawal episode this morning, early wake up, sweaty, and Ive felt anxious and some how disengaged from my surroundings all day.

Is this to be expected?

How long is it likely to last?

Will I ever feel normal again?!

Its very hard, as I know that two glasses of wine would make me feel a whole lot better... Short term!

Im very hopeful that this is the start of a good phase in life, now that I have the weed monkey off my back. I feel that having dealt with my first love. alcohol should be easier...And Ive now had a genuine week of proper sobriety under my belt.

All words of wisdom gratefully received
Old 01-19-2020, 01:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I found that acute physical withdrawal from alcohol usually lasted several days to a week. The anxiety is what usually drove me back to drinking, but I finally got past that and have been sober now for over 10 yrs.

Stay sober and you will begin to feel better, day by day.
Old 01-19-2020, 02:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have noticed when I give up 1 bad habit another usually increases.
Not unusual but not good either.

Good on kicking the weed. I've been a smoker longer than a drinker but have given it up recently also. I really don't miss it.

Good luck
Keep on keepin on!
Old 01-19-2020, 02:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

If you are getting withdrawal like that, you may not have been as moderate as you thought.

It does fade out the longer you stay sober.

Otherwise it's back on the hamster wheel and you gotta do it all over again next time.

Stay plugged in to a source of power ... These forums.
Old 01-19-2020, 02:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

We're all different so I wouldn't want to put a timescale on it, but be patient and give your body time to adjust.

Drink lots of water, eat well (avoid junk food, eat mainly whole foods if you can (especially vegetables), avoid caffeine (especially after midday), and exercise (even a 10 minute each day is better than nothing). And all that said, make sure to treat yourself too!

For the anxiety, give mindfulness/meditation a try - there's plenty of phone apps that are either free or have a free trial.

Good luck, was a full time smoker once myself, often swapping between weed and alcohol to "prove" to myself that I wasn't addicted to either.
Old 01-19-2020, 02:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Doireally - great to see you posting. Congrats on no drinks for a week. How wonderful.

I drank 30 yrs. & it took me about 2 wks. to really feel good when I quit. (I'd been drinking all day in the end, though.) What you're feeling is considered normal - it takes a while to feel healthy & well again after all we've put ourselves through physically.
Old 01-19-2020, 02:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I agree with you probably were drinking more than what you thought was a moderate amount. No two ways about it, withdrawal symptoms are awful. It varies per person but usually the physical symptoms subside within 3-6 days. DO NOT DRINK. You will start over from square one. Let your body do the work to normalize. Congrats on starting a new phase in your life!
Old 01-19-2020, 04:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You are doing great DIRHT!!! And yes, you really have to. This early sobriety stuff is tough and you will feel nag-headed for a few more days I think. Talk to your doc if you need to. Your dirty mean AV is talking to you about a few glasses of wine because it wants to kill you. Stay here and stay with us.
Old 01-20-2020, 01:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies.

Also a big shout out to Dee74. Ive read his comments and posts on and off for years.finally his words of wisdom seem to have sunk in.

I agree with the comments re moderation ...Rarely would i drink the equivalent of more than 6 units in an evening. I know that if drinking every night this adds up to way more than one should over the course of a week.

I guess Im surprised that the equivalent of there pints a night can trigger such an extreme response when the intake stops. I guess its a throwback to the years when I drank double this and I guess it goes to show what an addictive and destructive chemical alcohol is. And that once you've triggered that withdrawal response, its always gonna be there, unless you follow the words of this forum and stay away from the rotten stuff.

Keep up the good work everyone!
Old 01-20-2020, 02:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hey Doi.

My history of ethanol and pot is roughly like yours, although I think I started earlier last century than you did. Not exactly the same, as ethanol has always been my go-to substance, while pot has played a consistent second role. We probably drank about the same number of units per week/month/year, on average, and probably both underestimated that quantity both to ourselves and others. (I know I did, especially in recent months.)

I quit both beginning January 2, by saying I'm doing a Dry (and Smoke-free) January. I discovered this website on my Day 5, when, like you, I was surprised by the intensity of my withdrawal symptoms since I self-identified, after all, as only a social drinker who sometimes overdid it. My symptoms were a little different (actually I slept better the first week than I am right now), but the sense of roughness and disengagement you describe sound similar to my experience earlier this month.

Upshot for you: As others have said, the symptoms you're experiencing likely will subside within a matter of days. Upshot for me: I am seriously reconsidering my one-month moratorium, and hinting to myself and others that it may go on indefinitely, but I am breaking the news to myself gently. Love! the clearheadedness *every* day.
Old 01-21-2020, 02:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

wise words JR67,
Its the realisation that anymore drinking at all just starts the cycle again, no ifs, no buts, that'll what will happen.

Realisation is one thing, acceptance of this is another, having the fortitude to of the right thing is yet another.

One day at a time !