Notices

Conor McGregor's alcohol denial

Old 01-16-2020, 11:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Conor McGregor's alcohol denial

Hello all, I'm aware not everyone follows the UFC, nonetheless the topic is about state of denial and how common the thought process is among alcoholics.

I was watching this man's press conference and he displayed all signs and patterns that i also went through when I've had 3 months of sobriety.

He was saying how venomous he was when he was drinking but now that he is 3/4 months sober he's in a better place and his life is amazing and he is never going back again.

THEN he says something along the lines of:

"After this match I will go home have a few sips of whiskey and then proceed to spend time with my family and continue the life where iam at"

To be honest this whole press conference was just me analyzing the grip alcoholism has on him I recognized all the stages he was in and where he is at now.

-Chaos
-Realisation
-Sobriety stint, amazing new life, new man
-new Plan to moderate drinking

​​​​​​As I said the topic is not a about UFC the topic is about the steps of alcoholism a man goes through, and it is displayed for all to see and I think it's worthwhile to stay tuned and observe his behavior considering the patern feels so similar.

​​​​​

"
Old 01-17-2020, 01:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope the guy comes to the same realisation most of us have - life is better without alcohol in it at all.

D
Old 01-17-2020, 03:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

God knows I can never go back to drinking. One drink will lead me right back to the deep hole I just crawled out of.
Old 01-17-2020, 05:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My first reaction, often the incorrect one, is that this is mostly about not having a clue what alcoholism is, more than outright denial.
Old 01-17-2020, 05:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sammy1980 View Post
God knows I can never go back to drinking. One drink will lead me right back to the deep hole I just crawled out of.
Same here. Mightn't make it back the next time
Old 01-17-2020, 05:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have had similar thoughts re: McGregor and booze. Big fan of UFC and McGregor, been incredible to see the fall he's taken from the absolute heights of what used to be a marginal sport, wherein he realized all these incredible aspirational dreams of some hard-knock kid to where he is now (not that almost all of us wouldn't mind being set up for the paydays he has coming his way).

I missed the press conference but I was also thinking that alcohol could be tied, at least in part, to his fall - typical as it is of fighters in his position. What's ironic is that his name/finances are now tied to that whiskey label/production. A scary, possibly deadly toxic symbiosis.

I don't have much insight to add. It's sobering, of course, to think that the poison could be responsible for the humbling of a man with the talent/resources and money of someone like McGregor.

Here's to another day sober for myself and my family.
Old 01-17-2020, 06:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

After the fight against Mayweather(massive payday!) and the launch of his whiskey it was quite obvious to me that he was off the rails with his drinking. It was kinda odd watching the latest press conference without him talking trash though. Lol should be a good fight tomorrow!
Old 01-17-2020, 06:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It was a bit shocking when he punched a man twice his age in a Dublin pub because the man didn't want to sample his whiskey. He was a regular pub customer who was just having a pint and minding his own business. In comes McGregor demanding everyone have a glass. Red flag for sure.
Old 01-17-2020, 06:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Jim Rome has a segment about McGregor yesterday, and one of the stories was about him taunting an opponent from a previous fight because he said he doesn’t drink.
Old 01-17-2020, 06:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wastinglife View Post
It was a bit shocking when he punched a man twice his age in a Dublin pub because the man didn't want to sample his whiskey. He was a regular pub customer who was just having a pint and minding his own business. In comes McGregor demanding everyone have a glass. Red flag for sure.
Then before that was the phone incident in Miami that was also videoed where a fan got a selfie leaving the club and McGregor snatched dudes phone and broke it. After that I was telling people "he's drinking too much of his whiskey". Hopefully he keeps it in check and gets back to a sense of normalcy in his life.
Old 01-17-2020, 07:01 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Delilah1 View Post
Jim Rome has a segment about McGregor yesterday, and one of the stories was about him taunting an opponent from a previous fight because he said he doesn’t drink.
Yea.. Khabib,a devout Muslim who completely wrecked Conner in the fight,then dove off the top of the cage and went after Conner's buddies who were also talking trash. 🤣 https://youtu.be/LCzeyg774Vs
Old 01-17-2020, 07:23 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Johnny Manziel aka Johnny Football had a bright future in the NFL until drinking cost him everything. A Heisman Trophy winner and former first-round draft pick in the NFL. Drinking and off-field behavior, along with domestic battery got him fired from the NFL. He has since been released by the CFL. Last I heard, his wife was divorcing him.
Old 01-17-2020, 07:28 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Addiction is horrible for anyone, but more pronounced by zillionaire athletes. No one is at their best when addicted. No one.
Old 01-17-2020, 07:29 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by suki44883 View Post
Johnny Manziel aka Johnny Football had a bright future in the NFL until drinking cost him everything. A Heisman Trophy winner and former first-round draft pick in the NFL. Drinking and off-field behavior, along with domestic battery got him fired from the NFL. He has since been released by the CFL. Last I heard, his wife was divorcing him.
Know of him well. He has always had maturity issues. Talented guy, but like all addicts, he is often his own worst enemy.
Old 01-17-2020, 07:37 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I am always reluctant to diagnose anyone else with alcoholism, but it strikes me that most if not all of this guy's legal issues are caused by alcohol abuse.
Old 01-17-2020, 08:02 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

This thing we have doesn't discriminate does it Railtek? Alcohol doesn't care how much money we have, how virtuous we are, how talented we are, what our sins are, what gender we are, what religion we are, Never Trumpers or MAGA. It wants to kill all of us regardless.
Old 01-17-2020, 01:43 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Deep down he knows he has a huge alcohol problem because it cost him the khabib fight. He even said himself recently , "I was drinking for weeks before the khabib fight"

Khabib himself even said "he's an alcoholic I can see it in his face"

Again my point is not a about judgment it's about observing the chaos.

there is definitely no discrimination . And the way the booze manipulates ones perception is extraordinary.
Old 01-17-2020, 02:29 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Alcoholism has taken down and buried tougher men than Conor McGregor.

I hope he gets and stays sober.

It certainly sounds like he needs it.

As for me, my favorite sport is boxing.
Old 01-17-2020, 06:40 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberCAH View Post
Alcoholism has taken down and buried tougher men than Conor McGregor.

I hope he gets and stays sober.

It certainly sounds like he needs it.

As for me, my favorite sport is boxing.
Wilder/Fury 2 coming up soon! Fury also went down the drinking/drugging rabbit hole and found himself addicted. He's got a great comeback story of recovery.
Old 01-17-2020, 08:22 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

I used athlete's as a reason I could drink.

So many drink and still perform at a high level.

I am confident that the best of the best never touch the stuff.

Thanks.