Notices

Inability to focus

Old 01-17-2020, 08:33 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I used to read a lot before my drinking got out of hand, but wasn't able to when drinking heavily and in early recovery. I'm just now getting back to being able to sit down with a book. I'm rediscovering some good ones from my old collection. Currently reading Wayne Dyer's "Change Your Thoughts, Change Your Life". I've had this for quite a while but I never resonated with it, but now I'm getting into it.

Your love for books and desire to read will come back with some sober time under your belt. Best to you.

SC
Old 01-17-2020, 08:42 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Before electronic media, we all read so much more so our reading muscles were in shape. I have found that in the last 15 years that I have to actively work on keeping in "reading shape". I read a great deal for my job so it hasn't been as much of an issue. But I will tell you that when I quit drinking 58 days ago, my ability to focus began to improve and continues to do so. I think that if you chart your reading time every day, as with most other exercises, you will see steady improvement as those reading muscles get back into fighting shape.
Old 01-17-2020, 09:11 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DaisyBelle7 View Post
I used to read murder/mysteries. I like page turners that I can’t put down. I recently bought High Achiever, and started reading it yesterday. I still find myself reading a few pages and having to go back to re-read because I let my mind wander.

Facecrook (look the name!) - I gave it up on Christmas Day.
Originally Posted by DaisyBelle7 View Post
I used to read murder/mysteries. I like page turners that I can’t put down. I recently bought High Achiever, and started reading it yesterday. I still find myself reading a few pages and having to go back to re-read because I let my mind wander.

Facecrook (look the name!) - I gave it up on Christmas Day.
High Achiever sounds like it might be the perfect book for you, DB7. It is a memoir about substance abuse recovery and also seems to be something of a mystery or true crime story, right? I'll be curious to hear how you like it.

There's not going to be a quiz (unless you decide to give yourself one), so I suggest you go ahead and read. Reread if you wish, relax, and enjoy. One page at a time. With those page-turners the pages add up fast.

Re your memory: I saw your post about the old Outback advertising line from way back when. Looks like your memory banks are still functioning.

And you're recently sober, right? And you recently (Christmas Day) took the leap to go cut back your screen time and go facecrook-free?

These are early days for us, DB. We have to be patient with our recovering revitalizing selves.

Each of us is different. Who knows what mysteries lie ahead in the land of recovery?

Answer: No one. But we're aboard the sober train and I, for one, look forward to finding out.
Old 01-17-2020, 09:55 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

suficintcrlsns, I really like Wayne Dyer! I’ll look into that book. Through tough times, I tend to look up motivational quotes online. I’ve come across his quite a bit.

Surrendered19, I like the idea of charting my reading. I think it will help keep me on track. I even dusted off my GoodReads app to see what I had in there. I set a 2020 challenge to read 25 books this year. We’ll see how that goes...

jr67, yes, 6 days sober for me today. Tough “anniversary” tonight as I was thisclose to not making it through last Friday night. Too many different types of booze and pot.

Yes, the Outback thing... I can remember things clear as day from long ago, but my short term memory has suffered a great deal. It’s very disheartening. I’m hoping reading will help me re-program my brain. Thank you for your insight. Oh, and yes, High Achiever is about recovery and what the writer went through with the legal system. According to GoodReads, I’m 46% through. It’s very good so far!
Old 01-18-2020, 09:53 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I’m on day 12. This week a group of my friends were exchanging emails, and we were all to share the names of our 10 favorite books of the year. I realized I have hardly read any books this year, and like you, I found it easier to watch TV while I drank. I am almost certain we will both find that with continued sobriety, that concentration and focus will return. (But I think it may take awhile.)