Notices

Anyone have issues with lack of Sun light?

Old 01-14-2020, 09:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anyone have issues with lack of Sun light?

My first thread, my name is Mac, been sober for a little over 3 years now after being a daily drinker for about 11 years.

My current problem is I used to live in a desert where it was sunny all the time and I felt great mentally. But because of family I have moved to a place that is overcast and rainy almost every day. I haven't had this strong of a craving for alcohol in a very long time. I'm even getting to the point I'm scared of going to the grocery store because the pull to alcohol is so intense.

The reason I've come to the conclusion sun light has something to do with it is we recently had 3 days of sun light, and I was out and about feeling great, then the sun left, and I was back to my gloomy self just looking to give up. Anyone deal with these issues and what do you suggest to cope? I'm pretty stuck here and there is no going back. I was told to get some vitamin D, so I picked some up from the store and gonna start taking it.

Any other thoughts to deal with tough gloomy winters after being in the sun for a decade?
Old 01-14-2020, 09:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Spend as much time as possible outside, I'm sure it helps even on dull and rainy days.
Old 01-14-2020, 09:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

It's actually a pretty common issue in northern climates. I've heard Vitamin D can help but also having an incandescent light ( not flourescent ) can help too. I know a lot of people who put a regular lamp in their office where I work for that very reason.
Old 01-14-2020, 09:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Go to the light is a thought that popped in my
mind. Go to places where there is lots of light
or where other folks gather.

For me, I sat in recovery meetings where the
inside was warm with other folks learning how
to remain sober each day. A safe, warm place
where the coffee was hot and the lights above
me were bright.

One particular meeting had large windows with
a view to a pretty courtyard of flowers and trees,
even our fine feather friends chirping. And as cold
or rainy as it was outside, sitting safe and dry and
most of all sober would take all the gloom and doom
away.

I also like visiting the nurseries where all the flowers
will be showing up soon for Spring planting season.
Maybe the library where it is all lite up with loads of
books to read and learn from.

Suggestion about the lamps from Scott is good to
look into to bring lots of light to your own home.
Add lots of pretty bright colors with flowers and
you'll be feeling good in know time.
Old 01-14-2020, 10:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I too love strolling through a plant nursery, it feels wonderful. On days the sun shines I make myself go outside for awhile, sometimes I just listen to my audio book and pick up sticks in the yard.....it helps
Old 01-14-2020, 10:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

They sell tons of daylight simulating lamps for people with Seaonal Affective Disorder.

Check them out on Amazon and see if they help
Old 01-14-2020, 11:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

I have suffered with Seasonal Affective Disorder since my teenage years many decades ago. I only recently have been diagnosed by the medical community. Every fall or early winter, I would begin a descent into an unstoppable depression spiral. I always tried to drink my way out of it. Of course alcohol, being a depressant, merely added fuel to the fire.

I invested in a quality daylight lamp, spend time outdoors, and have a low dose antidepressant prescribed for SAD that I take half the year. Also I try to incorporate as much physical activity as possible into my day. I still get depressed, but it doesn't usually become a life sucking ordeal. It is easier to prevent a depressive spiral than attempting to climb out of one in my experience.

Wishing you the best Mac!
Old 01-14-2020, 02:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sounds very much like SAD but I'm not a doctor so I would suggest seeing your doctor for a full prognosis. They'll be able to order a blood test to check your Vitamin D levels and, if they are low, prescribe you the correct dose.

They might also be able to advise on a light therapy box if indeed it is SAD you're suffering from.
Old 01-14-2020, 06:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Talk with your doctor. Light therapy appears to work well for many people with SAD. Verilux sells many models under the name "HappyLight", available on Amazon. As always with these things, talk to your doctor first.
Old 01-14-2020, 11:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have one of the sunlight lamps. It is called a lumie light, recommended to me by my doctor who also has one! 1 hour each morning from October to March helps hugely.
Old 01-15-2020, 08:08 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ReadyAtLast View Post
I have one of the sunlight lamps. It is called a lumie light, recommended to me by my doctor who also has one! 1 hour each morning from October to March helps hugely.
I am going to have to get on Amazon and order one today. My doctor has recommended it a couple of times. Sharon has some good ideas about things to do in the winter. I know I get into winter time routines that aren't necessarily healthy. I need to get outside more when the sun is shining.