Notices

Class of January 2020 PART 2

Old 01-18-2020, 09:51 AM
  # 161 (permalink)  

In Aus it is a thing....the actual grill.
And a verb. As in we are bbq'ing.

I heard all the rest once I moved here and my inlaws are from the South. s
Old 01-18-2020, 10:02 AM
  # 162 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fishkiller View Post

I have one hard rule which will help while boating, I NEVER drink alcohol on the boat.

Hm, good reason to boat more this year.
Fishkill 2020 Round-the-World Sea-Pro Tour!

(Featuring the late, great Curtis Mayfield):

People, get ready!
There's a [Sea Pro] a-coming
You don't need no ticket
You just get on board

All you need is faith
to hear the diesels humming
Don't need no ticket
You just thank the Lord

People get ready
For the train to Jordan
Picking up passengers
From coast to coast

Faith is the key
Open the doors and board them
There's hope for all
Amongst the loved the most

There ain't no room
for the hopeless sinner
Who would hurt all mankind
Just to save his own

Have pity on those
Whose chances are thinner
'Cause there's no hiding place
From the kingdom's throne

So people get ready
For the train a-coming
You don't need no baggage
You just get on board

All you need is faith
To hear the diesels coming
Don't need no ticket
You just thank the Lord

I'm getting ready
I'm getting ready
This time I'm ready
This time I'm ready

I'm getting ready
Getting ready, oh, yeah
I'm getting ready, yes I am
Old 01-18-2020, 10:33 AM
  # 163 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
Cityboy ~ I was thinking if only they made it illegal to drink and drive a boat. Surely it is, no? Guessing it's harder to control. But man is it dangerous. MOST boating accidents happen because someone is drunk. Well, I made that up actually. But maybe it will be good to start adding other drinks to the coolers in the boat, and maybe some of the other dudes and dudettes at the social part will say why yes I would like a mineral water. s
You do not get in trouble just for the act of drinking while operating a boat in Florida, but they do make a lot of random stops to check your fish and to check your safety equipment, or if they witness someone that appears to be operating dangerously and/or under the influence. They use indicators and will conduct a field sobriety test, same as highway patrol, and take a lot of people under custody if they are obviously intoxicated.

FWC sends out an email once a month with law enforcement stories which always include a lot of boating UI stories. A lot of them are funny, like someone in a pontoon boat with a 30 horse motor pulling up to an FWC crew and asking if they want to race. Some are not so funny, like someone operating a boat full of people that can't even speak intelligibly or stand on their own. I once had to do a field sobriety test on the dock, but had only had two and was given a warning.

A good percentage of boating accidents do include alchohol as a factor. I think I read recently that in Florida it was something like 40-50%. There a lot of just poor boat operators though also.

I really do not have a history of coming in stone faced. Two or three on the way in, and that is if I'm staying at the marina. But my gosh, by the marina pool and the cabin with the buddies, it's like we're trying to set some kind of record each time. But alas, I'm trying to put it all down and spend the extra money on bait and boat gas. I do have a couple of fishing buddies that have a history and no longer drink at all so I will be in good company. Looking back, I've probably been a bad influence even among my friends.

Thank you for suggesting mineral water venuscat.
Old 01-18-2020, 11:22 AM
  # 164 (permalink)  

Hello everyone

Reading back about projects undone and procrastinating, I too have a mess going on. But, yesterday I figured I would start with one project of winter pruning that has been like a heavy weight on me to look at each day, so I did well yesterday. It is looking good when I look out the window, a good feeling to see it clean, so today I am going to head back out there to finish it up and cross it off my list as done!

I am going to have a muffin and banana and I am out the door on Day 16.
Old 01-18-2020, 11:29 AM
  # 165 (permalink)  

Jr you are quite the wordsmith

Time2, there is nothing like the sense of accomplishment
Old 01-18-2020, 04:23 PM
  # 166 (permalink)  

Day 8 coming to a close. I continue to be amazed at the power here.

Just a splitting headache today, but can begin to feel myself coming out of this I think. No desire to drink, and the thought of it makes me feel sick, but I know that things are going to return more to normal and there are going to be major hurdles ahead.

Hope everyone is having a great evening, or morning, or whatever. Thank you all.
Old 01-18-2020, 04:34 PM
  # 167 (permalink)  
Administrator

so glad to see everyone doing well
If you're not doing well - please post anyway, we want to help

D
Old 01-18-2020, 04:43 PM
  # 168 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cityboy View Post
A couple of questions:

Day eight and I have a headache that has been gradually getting worse the last couple of days. Are others having that as well?

What are you guys doing with the beer, wine, liquor, and all the bottle openers and corkscrews that are still in the house? Also, my wife is kind like your husbands, an apple cider or pumpkin beer or something like that on occasion, and unlike me she can leave something in the refrigerator for weeks, also wine for cooking.
Ive been battling headaches, too. Hoping this will subside in weeks 2-3. We gave the alcohol that my husband doesn’t drink to our neighbors. He’s a beer drinker so we have that in the house, but I can’t have gluten so it’s all good.
~~~~~~~

One of our friends is having a Super Bowl party at her house, needless to say, we won’t be going. She had a Thanksgiving get together too, and I was sober then (before I relapsed). There were a bunch of drinkers there who were 1/2 in the bag by noon. I drank soda water and dodged shots as they were being handed out. I’m not putting myself through that again... not yet.

Hope you’re all having a wonderful weekend!
Old 01-18-2020, 04:52 PM
  # 169 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DaisyBelle7 View Post

I’m not putting myself through that again.
That's a cool thing to say.
Old 01-18-2020, 04:57 PM
  # 170 (permalink)  

I can relate to the procrastination talk. I'm having a restless day. A bit urge-y too. I think the A-V is saying, "Well you're not exactly doing anything anyway so it's not like you'd be wasting more time." I know I do better when I have more structure in my day. Tomorrow I'll plan my day better.

Gonna start a new book tonight.
Old 01-18-2020, 05:34 PM
  # 171 (permalink)  

Cityboy, thank you!

silversky, me too re the book! What are you reading?
Old 01-18-2020, 05:52 PM
  # 172 (permalink)  

DaisyBelle -- I just pulled a random book off the shelf to start. It's "Nineteen Minutes" by Jodi Picoult. How about you?
Old 01-18-2020, 05:54 PM
  # 173 (permalink)  

silversky, oooh, I like her. I almost started another one of hers today - The Storyteller, but I grabbed The Couple Next Door by Shari Lapena instead. I have a whole stack of books I’d like to get through.
Old 01-18-2020, 06:10 PM
  # 174 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DaisyBelle7 View Post
I grabbed The Couple Next Door by Shari Lapena instead. I have a whole stack of books I’d like to get through.
Cool I've read that. I like going to used book fairs and collecting books. I have a stack too. Yay us.
Old 01-18-2020, 06:24 PM
  # 175 (permalink)  

Though I mostly read guy books, I'm going to stick my neck out and make a recommendation. It's a two-book sequel, historical novel, extremely well researched and written, based on a setting in which I have family history.

Exiles on the St John's, and Raiders on the St John's, Lydia Hawke.

Happy reading.
Old 01-18-2020, 06:38 PM
  # 176 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by silversky View Post
Cool I've read that. I like going to used book fairs and collecting books. I have a stack too. Yay us.
I’ll read The Storyteller next. Enjoy your peaceful evening!

Originally Posted by Cityboy View Post
Though I mostly read guy books, I'm going to stick my neck out and make a recommendation. It's a two-book sequel, historical novel, extremely well researched and written, based on a setting in which I have family history.

Exiles on the St John's, and Raiders on the St John's, Lydia Hawke.

Happy reading.
I don’t discriminate. I’ll look for both of those. They aren’t available on Amazon, so I’ll wait until I go to the library or a book store next. Thank you for the recommendations!

~~~~~~~~~~
Ok, I’m off to read and sleep. Night all!
Old 01-18-2020, 07:10 PM
  # 177 (permalink)  

Hello, Just checking in on day 23. I made it through the cold spell and Friday night. It's almost bedtime, so I think it's safe to say another sober weekend is in the books! Hope everyone is doing well. I hope to have some more time tomorrow to get caught up on everyone's posts .
Old 01-19-2020, 01:04 AM
  # 178 (permalink)  

I've somehow adopted the sleep schedule of a toddler. I went to bed at 7pm for the first time since I was a 3 year old I'm sure. Up at 4am. I think I understand that saying "slept like a baby" now in a literal sense.

I've been an alcoholic for about 15 years. What I didn't realize was how my sleep patterns were being disturbed during this time. I wasn't just a drunk, I was a sleep-deprived drunk.
Old 01-19-2020, 02:28 AM
  # 179 (permalink)  

Hi all

Getting through my sober weekend. Doing well.

Cityboy and DaisyBelle, I have been having headaches too. Some are probably caffeine related as I have been drinking so much coffee and tea.
When I quit last time, I remember a long spell of them. Eventually they went away. A friend on SR at the time suggested the headaches were being caused by our bodies detoxifying. It seemed to make sense.

Wastinglife, my sleep is a lot like yours. I have been sleeping a lot and going to bed really early. Again, I am putting it down to the healing process. Some afternoons at work, last week, I couldn't wait to get home to eat, shower and go to bed. Crazy

Have a wonderful day classmates.

dlb
Old 01-19-2020, 02:38 AM
  # 180 (permalink)  

Just joined. On Day 4. On a librium detox so that's nice. Feeling good.