Notices

Class of January 2020 PART 2

Old 01-16-2020, 01:23 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
Welcome dear fishkiller. s xx

PS....My uncle banned me from the fishing boat when I was a kid because I used to throw them back when he wasn't looking.
LOL

Thanks
Old 01-16-2020, 01:23 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Have a good day Willow love. s xxxxx ❤️
Old 01-16-2020, 01:26 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fishkiller View Post
LOL

Thanks
It's true by the way....I grew up in Phillip Island Vic Aus and the fish were pretty amazing, especially the multi-coloured poison ones (must look them up).

So glad you joined this lovely group. s xx
Old 01-16-2020, 03:02 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome FK

I was going to say older Aussies like myself still say gday but I don't want to offend Suze or Willow lol

D
Old 01-16-2020, 03:06 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

G'day all the way for me too.....just not here, cos Americans try to repeat it back and it just doesn't work.

....and I am the oldest Aussie of the three of us.
Old 01-16-2020, 05:14 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

G'day mate I am not Aussie, but I love hearing it.

Day 13, I'll be back to read later, just wanted to continue my count.

Hello to everyone!
Old 01-16-2020, 05:22 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
welcome FK

I was going to say older Aussies like myself still say gday but I don't want to offend Suze or Willow lol

D
Ok, this reminded me of something... here in the US, there’s a restaurant chain called Outback Steakhouse (I’m sure you’ve heard of it). Back in the 90s they had little cards on each table, teaching Americans how to say “cheese fries, please” like an Australian. They spelled it out something like, “chayz froyz playz”. It was the most ridiculous thing ever, and I remember telling my husband at the time that this is why other countries hate Americans.
Old 01-16-2020, 05:31 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

I tried out their steak....had to be done with all of the hype.
(Aussie in America),
Old 01-16-2020, 05:41 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

I tried out their steak....had to be done with all of the hype.
(Aussie in America),
I haven’t been there in forever, but iirc, the steak was pretty good. I don’t know why the cheese fries thing stuck with me.
Old 01-16-2020, 05:49 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

All this Aussie talk reminds me of one of my favorite comedians, Joe Avati. He's Italian-Australian and when he does his comedy shows about Italians with a Aussie accent its hilarious. I'm Italian so its especially funny to me hearing things I usually here from my family or fellow Italians but with an Aussie accent in place of the Italian accent..ha

Hope everyone is having a good night or morning!!
Old 01-16-2020, 05:51 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Oooo....off to listen to him xx
Old 01-16-2020, 05:54 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Oooo....off to listen to him xx
Enjoy! YouTube has some good stuff with him
Old 01-16-2020, 06:12 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  
EnjoyingTheJourney

Hello Jannie class of 2020
You have a great class. I love reading your supportive & honest posts!
Old 01-16-2020, 06:21 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thats not fair off how we speak in my part of the country Daisy Belle
D
Old 01-16-2020, 09:16 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Hello all,

Just finished up Day 10 and feel pretty good about that. That was an important early hurdle, especially given the fact I had the past several days off from work.

Glad you found the January class Sunnyday and welcome to other newcomers as well.

"Hibernation" seems to me to be a very important part of the early process. Even the seemingly small tasks can cause a lot of stress as the brain is just beginning to settle down...if you are lucky. My couple of trips out for an hour or so were about all I wanted to tackle the last few days.

Take it is on yourselves and stay strong. So good to see so many doing well.

Wolfie
Old 01-16-2020, 09:33 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on day 10 Mr Wolfie68
D
Old 01-16-2020, 11:59 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  
Free at last!

Morning all and welcome Mr Wolfie68!

I am trying to go for a walk every day now no matter the weather, as it really does help clear the head. Yesterday was just to the end of the village I live in, so not a great distance, but it still made me feel better and I reflect on why I am so glad to be sober.

I realised yesterday that another thing that has gone away is what I call the wine sweats! If I had drunk a large amount of wine the night before, even after a shower I would be sweating because the hangover was so bad!

And the most important thing that has changed is my relationship with my husband. He was never a drinker and had become scared of me when drunk in recent years. My anger would boil up and I would lash out at him with my tongue with something or other I never actually remembered saying the next day!

He chose to not be around me most evenings and would either stay in his office or go to bed early. We stopped communicating. Now we are talking and spending the evenings together, and he told me the other day how proud he was of me for not drinking!
Old 01-17-2020, 12:06 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  
Free at last!

Originally Posted by Wastinglife View Post
I take comfort in that we are in a new decade. I am going to do the exact opposite of what I did in the 2010's which means I will probably be a super-successful billionaire mogul by 2030!
I also am glad to see the back of the last decade Wastinglife. It turned out to be such a nasty, divisive one here in the UK and in other parts of the world. I wasted the last 10 years on drink! Feels like a whole new beginning now in 2020!
Old 01-17-2020, 12:18 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  
Free at last!

Originally Posted by DaisyBelle7 View Post
Geenie , congrats on quitting smoking! I’m a former smoker, too. I quit sometime in September 2016, but had a relapse when I went to Vegas this past October. I 100% agree that avoiding social functions is in our best interest... until we decide we’re strong enough to handle it.
Well done you as well DaisyBelle, especially for stopping again after a relapse. I know I can never ever have just one cigarette again as without doubt I will be back smoking full time.

Luckily here in the UK smoking is really frowned on now and you do not see much of it going on, certainly not where I live.
I never think about it apart from if I am standing next to a smoker and I am reminded of how disgusting it smells. Glad to have that monkey off my back!

Have a good day/night one and all and be proud of what you have achieved so far!
Old 01-17-2020, 01:27 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Venuscat, be thankful you weren't in North America when the first Crocodile Dundee movie came out in the 1980's. Everyone and their grandmothers were running around saying "That's not a knife...now that's a knife!" in their best impression of an Aussie accent haha. You would have packed your bags and gone home!

I slept 8 full hours for the first time in ages. Sleep is often overlooked when looking at the damage alcohol abuse causes to one's well-being. An alcoholic just doesn't get the restorative benefits of sleep that they would without alcohol in their system.

I am heading out soon into minus 20 Celsius (with wind chill) weather to an early morning AA meeting. Brrrrr!