Notices

Class of January 2020 PART 2

Old 01-24-2020, 08:43 AM
  # 421 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
Oh....I missed that. My mum was Scottish. But she dinna talk like that.

And New Englanders are the only Americans I have met who get the Aussie accent right.

small quiz.....who is Charles Emerson Winchester?
And which wonderful actor played this beloved character (so that's a big hint)?
I know although I can never remember anyone's name. Did an episode of star trek also.

We used to go to a pub downtown and I would get fish and chips, then try to put on a britt accent and ask "can I have some brown sauce please". Everyone looked at me like it was the most ridiculous thing they had ever heard. My brother was stationed in England for a while and could do a pretty good British accent.
Old 01-24-2020, 09:49 AM
  # 422 (permalink)  

Maybe if you would have asked for HP sauce.....no one would have blinked.

I can do a perfect Brit accent all day....my dad was one and so were all of my relatives. First time I ever heard an Aussie accent was the day I started school. I was quelle surprised. s
Old 01-24-2020, 09:52 AM
  # 423 (permalink)  

DB we have all the same taste.
(Bet you would think my husband is cute.....he he).
I LOVED The Sinner.
Oooo, but is there another series.....maybe. (S3 = Feb 6, just looked it up ).

Currently watching The Morning Show, Jennifer A and Reese and so many others and it is BRILLIANT!!!!
Old 01-24-2020, 10:03 AM
  # 424 (permalink)  

Early sobriety is a miserable place to be sometimes. I am clear-minded, lucid, and feeling content. However, I realize in these sober moments how my alcoholism has replaced everything else. No hobbies or interests. Stopped any physical activities I used to enjoy. I used to ski in the winter and golf in the summer. Although, both also often included alcohol. I don't remember what I did with my golf clubs. Still bothers me today because it's something I should remember.

Oh well. I need to close the book on my past. I have a tendency to ruminate whenever I sober up. Just going to focus on 2020 and ahead!
Old 01-24-2020, 10:12 AM
  # 425 (permalink)  

And now you are going to be able to do all of those things again, and they will be even more special and precious. s xx
Old 01-24-2020, 10:24 AM
  # 426 (permalink)  

venuscat, I’ll watch The Morning Show next! I’m on S2, E5 of The Sinner right now. I set my DVR for S3. Can’t wait! We do seem to have the same taste... and I’m sure your husband is cute, but I don’t go there.

Wastinglife, I’m a ruminator, too. I used to drink after a hike, during concerts, going out for dinner, etc. It will definitely take time for us to get used to the new way of living. I tend to beat myself up. I lost (or had stolen) a ring that was my grandmother’s when I was drunk. She’s passed and losing that ring haunts me regularly. Rumination at its finest.
Old 01-24-2020, 10:29 AM
  # 427 (permalink)  

I think what happens is we begin building sober memories and those longings go away. For example, I used to go to concerts stoned big-time and maybe drink as well and I barely remembered them after spending all that money to see someone. (In Aus it is crazy expensive). Or I spent the whole concert trying not be sick or pass out....sober it is so different. Just a fantastic experience.

Everything you do sober will likely change the way you feel and the thoughts that enter your mind. I think so anyway. s
Old 01-24-2020, 03:15 PM
  # 428 (permalink)  

New Englanders are the only Americans I have met who get the Aussie accent right.

small quiz.....who is Charles Emerson Winchester?
And which wonderful actor played this beloved character (so that's a big hint)?
I can do some U.S. regional accents passably, but only an isolated word here and there for non-U.S.

Ooh a quizlet. ... That's a big hint? Hmm, "beloved character," does that means he's fictional? Beloved fictional Australian perhaps? Beloved Aussie fictional characters. Uh-oh I think my list of BAFCs is shorter than my list of singers that I know about but didn't know were Aussie. I'm going nowhere with this.

Oh wait, wonderful Aussie actor? Well there's Mel Gibson. He played the blue Scottish guy, what's his name? It'll come to me. It's the name of the movie. Was his true name Charles Emerson Winchester? This is probably so far off but what the hay, I'll hit Submit Reply and take my licks. Wait, TrueBlood, no, Blackbeard? No. Eyes closed, jr, Blueblood, True Heart, no alright my husband is home I gotta go say hello so here goes.... I know I'm going to remember it as soon as I hit Submit Reply but oh well ... Got it, Braveheart!

That's my answer. How did I do?
Old 01-24-2020, 03:36 PM
  # 429 (permalink)  

Maybe if you would have asked for HP sauce.....no one would have blinked.

I can do a perfect Brit accent all day....my dad was one and so were all of my relatives. First time I ever heard an Aussie accent was the day I started school. I was quelle surprised. s
Yes I do ask for hot sauce pretty much every time I eat out.
Old 01-24-2020, 03:51 PM
  # 430 (permalink)  

This is what I mean....I was almost weaned on the stuff.

Old 01-24-2020, 03:54 PM
  # 431 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jr67 View Post
I can do some U.S. regional accents passably, but only an isolated word here and there for non-U.S.

Ooh a quizlet. ... That's a big hint? Hmm, "beloved character," does that means he's fictional? Beloved fictional Australian perhaps? Beloved Aussie fictional characters. Uh-oh I think my list of BAFCs is shorter than my list of singers that I know about but didn't know were Aussie. I'm going nowhere with this.

Oh wait, wonderful Aussie actor? Well there's Mel Gibson. He played the blue Scottish guy, what's his name? It'll come to me. It's the name of the movie. Was his true name Charles Emerson Winchester? This is probably so far off but what the hay, I'll hit Submit Reply and take my licks. Wait, TrueBlood, no, Blackbeard? No. Eyes closed, jr, Blueblood, True Heart, no alright my husband is home I gotta go say hello so here goes.... I know I'm going to remember it as soon as I hit Submit Reply but oh well ... Got it, Braveheart!

That's my answer. How did I do?
lmao....you are wonderful jr. xx

He was a beloved character in M.A.S.H. TV Show.
That was his character name.
His real name was David Ogden Stiers and he is unfortunately no longer with us now xx
Old 01-24-2020, 04:09 PM
  # 432 (permalink)  

I love HP sauce!
Old 01-24-2020, 04:50 PM
  # 433 (permalink)  

Do not remember seeing that HP sauce. Not sure if they even have it at publix here. Will check it out.
Old 01-24-2020, 05:03 PM
  # 434 (permalink)  

Tomato base with vinegar and other ingredients, hmm. The "brown sauce " at that pub was mostly vinegar as I remember. I'm sure it's one of those things that varies depending on manufacturer. I could be confused as that was over 20 years ago.
Old 01-24-2020, 05:47 PM
  # 435 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jr67 View Post
Hey SendSleep, top o' the mornin' to ya.

Do you have a bike there in NYC? Prospect Park is a great place to ride, as you know (but some folks from Manhattan, a few subway stops away, or Melbourne, a few thousand miles away and then some, or maybe Mayfair or Malibu, ditto and ditto, may not appreciate). And let's not forget Mayberry, shall we? It's hard to imagine Aunt Bea tearing down the cycle track, but people are full of surprises, whether fictional or IRL, don't you think?

Or, of course, they (the ones in Manhattan) can ride their bikes across the Brooklyn Bridge, but if they've done that (like I have a few times) they probably know about the bike paths in PP.

If not, do you have a bike somewhere else that you could bring into the city?

There's always renting for an hour or a day, right there in Prospect Park I vaguely recall, or nearby. Or if you nail that presentation Tuesday and are still employed, two facts of which I have no doubt, you could buy one, a worthy investment in your health, spirit, and future (continuingly sober) overall self.

Just an idea for you, SS. You too, dear readers from any of those M places, or the rest of the alphabet and globe, but you should probably plan on renting unless you have a bike rack. I've never actually been to Mayberry, but I have a very hard time picturing Aunt Bea loading her Giant or Raleigh racer onto a roof rack and tooling up I-95 to NYC and over to Prospect Park to take a spin, but if she is reading this, she should think about riding it down to Coney Island since she's come so far.

Stranger Things have happened. (I just watched an ep last night, in fact, on the flixter.)

Quiz:

1. What's a coney, besides a barrier beach area in Brooklyn with a pretty amazing roller coaster that jr rode on his thirtieth birthday?

2. What's the name of the roller coaster?

3. What's the name of the amusement park?

4. In what U. S. state do most of the stranger things in Stranger Things take place?

5. Were you born yet?

6. What do you call natives of the answer to Q4?

Extra credit:

7. Name all 3 amusement parks at Coney Island back in the day. I mean today, name all 3 parks from back in the day.

True or false:

8. jr's father was born in the Bedford-Styvesant section of Brooklyn.

9. jr is married to a man who is an answer to Q6.

10. jr is married to a man who is an answer to jr's dreams, who is buttoning up his shirt for work as jr types this Q.

11. jr is married to a man.

12 jr is married.

13. jr is a man.

14. jr is dreaming.

More extra pts:

15. When is jr's father's birthday?

16. What are the ingredients to the mocktail with which jr toasted his father's most recent birthday?

17. If jr is married what date is his anniversary?

18. It's still a few months away but what should jr get for his spouse, if jr is married to either a man or a woman?

19. Which of the following most closely approximates how they say "oil" in Brooklyn, esp. if they were born there before you were born?

(a) erl

(b) earl

(c) duke.

20. In The Patty Duke Show, what Brooklyn neighborhood was the one from which Patty had only seen the sights, while her identical cousin Cathy adored crepes suzettes, the Ballet Russe, and minuets?

21. Do you know how to make crepes suzettes?

22. If the answer to 21 is yes, do you feel like coming over for Sunday brunch? I'll make the Shirley Temple mocktails.

Answers due whenever you get around to it, including never if that's how you feel about it.

Have a good weekend anyway.

good evening! Loving these quizzes I completely agree, people in general are filled with surprises and that’s what makes it interesting. In general, I love meeting new people, you never know who you will connect with. I don’t have a bike in the city but when lived with my parents I used to go bike riding a lot, especially on the Bronx River parkway when they closed it on Sundays for bikers. It was beautiful there and my mom and I used to have nice long talks when it was just the two of us. I miss that, and her.

Thanks! I wish I had as much confidence in myself that I’d succeed lol. I like that idea, a worthy investment in my health, spirit, and future (continuingly sober) overall self renting also works, I’ll remember those tips, thank you. I want to see more of the city and explore, making that a goal of mine. I’m loving Stranger Things on the flixter, it’s quickly becoming one of my favorite shows. The acting is just incredible. How is your night going? Happy Friday! Any plans for the weekend?
Old 01-24-2020, 06:22 PM
  # 436 (permalink)  

Hey Everyone - Just checking in - Been another crazy week at work, and still worried about my mom. Happy to report I am on Day 24, and moving forward despite all my crazy health anxiety

Need to catch up on posts sometime, but wanted to say hi, and that I am thinking of you all. You all are strong and amazing!
Old 01-24-2020, 07:59 PM
  # 437 (permalink)  

Hello Januarians

21 days for me. Some days I am master of the world and some days a slug in the rug, but hey, doing it sober is what makes me the happiest.

Onward
Old 01-24-2020, 10:15 PM
  # 438 (permalink)  

Hello Class.

Looks like I'm first in my time zone (it's about 12:40 a.m. on Saturday) to announce reaching my Yesterday Plus 1. For me, that = Day 24.

Plan for today, with
almost the whole of it stretched
out before me. See?:

Hit Submit Reply
soon then browse the SR site,
Doze off and wake up

Doze off and wake up,
Post a little now and then,
Soon enough arise

Soon enough arise,
Get up, go vertical and
Maybe hit the gym

Maybe hit the gym
because I read somewhere, "It's
good for you," they say

Good for you, they say,
to eat and hydrate, so those
too go on the list

Two go on the list
of best intentions. "The best
laid plans of of mice

and men often go
awry." So said the bard of
Scotland, Robert Burns

Scotland? Robert Burns?
Should auld acquaintance be forgot
And you know the rest

And you know the rest
of the song, or maybe not,
you can look it up

You can look it up
later: jr said right here
he'll do worky work

He'll do worky work
once the sun arises here,
on long to-do lists

On long to-do lists
every item that appears
must some day be ticked

Must some day be ticked
you say, I ask whether now,
today, is the day

Today is the day
that jr procrastinates
no more, so he says.

Now it's 1:15,
thirty-five minutes gone by
well spent? The jury's out
Old 01-24-2020, 11:26 PM
  # 439 (permalink)  

Ohhhh I’m struggling here, checked into accommodation and it’s got complimentary port and a full minibar which wasn’t in the description!!!! It was a self-check in place and reception is closed all weekend due to the Australia Day long weekend, so I can’t even ask them to take it away....
I just went to the supermarket and got icecream, soft drinks and chocolate. I already ate icecream because the AV has been screaming at me
This is meant to be a relaxing weekend.
Old 01-24-2020, 11:27 PM
  # 440 (permalink)  

It’s the complimentary port that’s doing my head in. Maybe I should just tip it all down the sink and not tell anyone
But my partner might want to drink it...