Notices

Giving up on drinking in moderation

Old 01-15-2020, 02:52 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Regarding alcohol in cooking, I was advised in group that cooking doesn't burn off all the alcohol, and even minute amounts get slurped up by the permanently opened gaba receptors. I accidentally ate a lasagne with red wine in it and nothing bad happened, but while eating it I wondered what the particular nasty taste was. I just wouldn't bother with it in food at all, there's no need.
Old 01-15-2020, 03:02 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Really? Wow, I didn't realise that. Bit depressing but good to know!

Thanks so much for the info.
Old 01-15-2020, 03:11 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

I know it seems like another little light of joy is going out - but I don't miss alcohol in food at all - on the contrary I think things taste better.

D
Old 01-15-2020, 03:52 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Looks like I'll be dusting off my slow cooker then! Thanks Dee74, I can skip sherry in stir fries but it would've been sad to miss out on a nice casserole and what's simpler than shoving dinner ingredients into a slow cooker in the morning and getting on with the day?
Old 01-15-2020, 04:42 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sorry - still prefer the non alcoholic slow cooked casserole - gives the other ingredients and tastes a chance to come forward in the mix

I know a lot of people wouldn't go to the extent I did/do with alcohol in food...but I was a very bad drinker....that little bottle of sherry for meant for cooking would often be empty.

I cherish my recovery now...not having alcohol in my food is not even a loss to me now.

It just works for me - and honestly I recommend it at least for a while to anyone trying to stay sober

D
Old 01-15-2020, 04:53 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Womble, You’ve been a member of this website for 7 years and you are averaging about 6 posts per year.

In the beginning when I was trying to get sober, I probably averaged 6 posts per day. You description of the wine bottle in your refrigerator was also a concern for me.

What do you want your relationship with alcohol to be?
Old 01-15-2020, 05:12 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zebra1275 View Post
Womble, You’ve been a member of this website for 7 years and you are averaging about 6 posts per year.
I think I popped by in 2013 and then popped out again for the next 7 years. I'm generally chattier than 6 posts a year.

I'd like a nice, calm relationship with alcohol where I don't drink it but can co-exist in a world where other people do. I went sober curious in December and did my office Christmas party booze free which was quite liberating. Around midnight I was hugging a fruit tea singing along to the DJ with lots of freebie wine and spirits around me. The next day was a work day and I felt great while my colleagues looked like death warmed up. It helped me decide to quit in January.
Old 01-15-2020, 05:39 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Womble76 View Post
Where do members stand on wine in cooking? If the alcohol is boiled off in a casserole, stir fried or used when boiling a ham is that OK? I accept that things like sherry trifle or vodka jellies are off the menu :o)
Since I don't know if wine in cooking is safe, I avoid it. The alcohol boils off, I guess, but I don't know how long that takes. It's not a biggie, since there are so many things to eat.
Old 01-15-2020, 05:40 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Womble, I'm on day 14 and could have written your original post except wine was my "safe" drink when I wasn't drinking rum or whisky.

Tried to moderate many times and all it did was strengthen my addiction. When we moderate we are saying "I'll wait". During those times when I was able to moderate, I was obsessing/anticipating my next drink. I just became more obsessed. For me it was "not til 8pm", "do dishes first" etc. I was always filled with anxious anticipation.

One things that is helping me a lot is the realization that there are two parts to me: the conscious vs subconscious. Once I realized that my repetitive drinking had become subconscious (basically instinctive behavior) moving forward became easier. I know now that whatever I choose to do with my time over the next while will also move into the subconscious and become automatic.

When the urge rises up in me now I can objectify it and push it away with confidence.

Of course everyone is different, I just wanted to share that with you in case it might help.