Notices

12 hours sober

Old 01-13-2020, 11:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

12 hours sober

Recovering from another binge. Very stressful day full of anxiety and emotional pain.

If I can just get to 14 days then I will be able to achieve sobriety.

All I can do is dust myself off brush myself down and try again.

I pray everyone on the site stays safe and sober.
Old 01-13-2020, 11:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm still curious as to why you always abandon your previous forum threads and only return to post a new thread about your most recent drinking session?

If sobriety is really your goal, isn't it more prudent to continue to post on the forum regularly, to revisit your threads and read advice, to respond to people, to post on here BEFORE you drink rather than only posting immediately after each drinking session? Currently your posts read like a drinking diary, but I really hope for your sake they'll one day be a recovery diary.
Old 01-13-2020, 11:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

there is no magic power in 14 days OR 14 years. sobriety must be desired above all else in THIS day. no matter what. which means doing whatever it takes and no longer allowing for any excuse to drink. and getting and USING all the help and support we can to be successful at this endeavor.
Old 01-13-2020, 11:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Fair comments. I certainly don’t want to be posting another day 1 thread.

I am very grateful to go to bed sober tonight. Tomorrow I should be feeling a lot better.

I do believe I and everyone else is capable of recovery. I have struggled badly yes but each time I drink the pain is worse. I have honestly had enough of living like this.
Old 01-13-2020, 11:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Do you have any sort of support system outside of SR. AA? Anything? I agree with NerfThis that you should really be posting BEFORE you drink and try to get help from the forum to talk you out of it. I really hope this attempt is more successful and that you start reaching out to people. There are hotlines you can call to talk.
Old 01-13-2020, 11:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have some support with a mental health professional.

I also have this site. Some recovery books also I will find helpful.

I cant understand why I have been unable to stay sober for more than 3 days.

If I achieve nothing else in my life but to stay sober then I will consider myself blessed.
Old 01-13-2020, 12:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stable View Post

If I achieve nothing else in my life but to stay sober then I will consider myself blessed.
You can't stay sober because you are an alcoholic. Can you call this mental health professional when you decide you are going to drink? Also have you tried a support group where you can get a phone number of someone to call? I really think being able to call someone would at least give you a fighting chance.
Old 01-13-2020, 12:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Stable. I'm sorry you are struggling. Is an inpatient rehab an option for you? They'll send you on your way with 30 days under your belt and some great support. I'm not sure why you conclude that if you could just stay sober for two weeks, it would be permanent. 14 days, 30 days, a hundred, or a thousand. There is no magic number after which you are in the clear. People on this site tell bone-chilling stories of being sober for 10 years and then drinking again. I hope you can come at this another way Stable. Keep posting and let us know how you are doing. Living in Day 54 here.
Old 01-13-2020, 12:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I cant understand why I have been unable to stay sober for more than 3 days..
That was a very tricky time for me, too. I think it was because I started to feel better physically and mentally and my motivation dipped. I think you will find that when you get past the 3-day point, you will begin to feel better.
Old 01-13-2020, 12:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

A mental health professional is exactly that, not a support system. Books are useless unless you put what you read into action and even then, you may need guidance from someone who has been there.

If you can't afford a live-in rehab, maybe a detox center? You'll get at least 4 days sober and they can hook you up with great information and local contacts.
Old 01-13-2020, 03:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Stable- see your doc, going cold turkey can be dangerous. Daily support is necessary for me to remain sober- I cannot do this gig alone. SR, meetings, GP, psychologist.

Support to you.
Old 01-13-2020, 03:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Stable

some great advice above. I would be doing all you can do to stay sober. ...SR, doc, psych, meeting based recovery programme, inpatient or outpatient rehab...

I couldn't think about 14 days in the beginning - just focusing on the day ahead was enough.

D