Notices

Passed the 7 month mark.

Old 01-12-2020, 09:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Passed the 7 month mark.

All is well or better. I dont think about drinking or not drinking much anymore. I did however gain 35 pounds. Sucks. I've been eating ice cream every night and other snacks. Should be easy to stop but I haven't yet. Went from 160 to 195 in 7 months. I do eat more food in general now. I used to have maybe 2 slices of pizza when we order one. Now I'll eat 5. Same with tacos and other food. When I was drinking I did not eat much. I guess it's better than drinking but it still sucks
Old 01-12-2020, 09:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The same brain receptors that light up like a holiday parade when we drink alcohol light up that very same way when we consume any other sort of added or processed sugar. Check it out Abraham.

Google 'Are Alcoholism and Sugar Addiction Related?'

Food (sugar free food!!!) for thought.

Last edited by Dee74; 01-12-2020 at 01:50 PM. Reason: removed commercial link.
Old 01-12-2020, 10:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on 7 months sober! Don't worry about the weight gain, you can work on that later. Just stay sober!
Old 01-12-2020, 10:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Seven months is awesome!

Took me a good while to even out with my sugar intake, and def still have a sweet tooth that I didn't have as much of before I quit. I've felt my best when I've been able to be active and factor in treats along with healthy stuff.

Being sober is always the priority tho- I have given myself a lot of slack, and also had a habit of regular dr check ups etc to make sure I know what's going on here in my 43 yr old body!
Old 01-12-2020, 01:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I struggle with weight-preburns (my rock-bottom) I was 126kg, to post burns 74kg (still drinking, self neglect) - back up to 108kg. I am now losing weight- by exercise...I still do the sugar bit. Support to you. And remember- in the short term, eating is no way as harmful as drinking.
Old 01-12-2020, 01:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Abraham,

Congratulations on 7 months of recovery!

I'm glad you're doing well. Maybe you could add some kind of exercise into your daily life, but be sure to give yourself credit for what you've accomplished.
Old 01-12-2020, 01:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congratulations 🎉 on 7 months.

It's a marathon not a Sprint.

Plenty of time to get a handle on the weight gain.

Personally, my food intake evened out around the 2 year mark.

I put on a similar amount of weight to you, but I'm now at the same I was in my early twenties.

Bit more Dad bod than muscles, but who cares.

There's plenty of guys out there in their late 40's who are 100 pounds over what they were when they were 20.

I'm happy 😊
Old 01-12-2020, 02:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Abraham,

Congrats on seven months! I got in a bit of a slump with my weight last year. I joined Weight Watchers in June which helped me reset and get back to healthy eating habits. I also walk just about every day, this year my goal is to add some strength training into my routine, not quite there yet.

Maybe try adding a little exercise, and shopping for healthy foods you enjoy. The important thing is you’re sober, you can work on the weight a little at a time.
Old 01-12-2020, 02:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
AA Member

grats on 7
Old 01-12-2020, 02:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Great job on 7 months! I gained weight when I quit, I also quit nicotine on my one year sober month....I was vaping for many years. I put on about 10 pounds and feel a little frumpy. I agree that the weight can be dealt with over time, you've come a long way!!

Old 01-12-2020, 02:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congratulations! 7 months is huge! There is definitely a link between sugar and alcohol consumption. Keep focusing on staying sober and then worry about the weight gain later. One thing at a time. Focusing on too many things to change/ feel you are depriving yourself of can feel overwhelming and then you throw out everything. Keep it up!
Old 01-12-2020, 02:47 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Well done Abraham
D
Old 01-12-2020, 08:07 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I know how you feel. I gained over 10 pounds since embarking on the sober path. For 2 years I at ice cream near every day even though I never had a sweet tooth prior to that.

This year I am cutting the ice cream out. Full stop.
Old 01-13-2020, 07:08 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

18 months for me this week and my sugar/sweets craving is starting to fade a little bit.

I find that I can eat an orange or a grapefruit and feel satisfied, now. In the early days, I truly NEEDED ice cream, lol.

I've gained a little weight but that's a trivial price to pay. I feel SO much healthier, both physically and emotionally.
Old 01-13-2020, 08:54 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Hi Abraham,

Congratulations on 7 months of recovery!

I'm glad you're doing well. Maybe you could add some kind of exercise into your daily life, but be sure to give yourself credit for what you've accomplished.
As a construction worker I typically walk over 15000 steps and burn between 2 and 3 thousand calories a day. The other day I had 8500 steps and I did not even have my phone on me except to walk into work and to lunch and break. I did not have it on me while working. Almost a half hour walk to get to where we are working in the plant to my car. I feel like I get a ton of exercise everyday. I'm just eating alot more than I used to. But yea, I would not trade it for drinking
Thanks for all the tips, and well wishes.